Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Creating a stand alone exe.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,
I have done a search on this but the results i got were confusing and varied so forgive me for repeating similar problems again here.

I've been using dbpro for year or two now and have made a few modest applications for use on my pc at home. Compiling to exe is simple and i never gave it a second thought.

However, i recently made a couple of applications for use at work. After compliling to exe i emailed tehm to my work pc only to find they generate an error or two.

Unable to locate dll
The dynamic link library d3d9.dll could not be found in the specified path.

On closing this error there is another underneath that reads:

Error:
Failed to load dll (3BProSetupDebug.dll)

i get the impression it has something to do with directX.

I have dx9 and the works pc is still on dx7.

If this is the case - is there a way around it?
Surely a VERY basic app like the one i coded that has no attached media files (everything is drawn within the program - basic boxes and circles only) shouldn't rely on dx9? I would have thought dx 7 would work fine.

Any ideas or explanations would be greatfully received.
Me!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2005 14:55 Edited at: 5th Nov 2005 14:59
repeat after me...

I NEED DX9.0C
I NEED DX9.0C
I NEED DX9.0C
I NEED DX9.0C
I NEED DX9.0C
I NEED DX9.0C
I NEED DX9.0C

all pro programs NEED DX9.0c, from hello world to Halo 5 xtreme, you NEED dx9.0c, now again.....

I NEED DX9.0C
I NEED DX9.0C
I NEED DX9.0C
I NEED DX9.0C
I NEED DX9.0C
I NEED DX9.0C
I NEED DX9.0C

it`s kinda dumb, but the first thing that Pro does is open a directx layer to draw to, and it assumes it has DX9.0c to open it with, nothing less will do, this is after all a 3D games language, you always need the latest DX, Lee is kinda lazy and just checks for the version he compiles with (at least I think he checks, that is a system error thinking about it, nope! doesn`t look like he checks at all ).

if there is one thing I can NOT tolerate, it`s intolerant people.
Eckie Thump
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the heads up.
I know nowt about directX other than i need it to play my games.
it never crossed my mind that such a simple application as mine would need the latest dx to run.

I know it says on the box dx8.1 or higher required, but i presumed that was to run the editor etc not to run every program i make with it.

here's hoping work will allow me to instal dx9.

ps.
as i have the very latest dx9 installed does this mean i MUST have the very latest dx9 on the works pc - or will any dx9 version do? Or even dx 8.1?
Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2005 16:04
You need the same you compiled the program with or higher.

The word "Gullible" cannot be found in any English Dictionary.
blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2005 20:24 Edited at: 5th Nov 2005 20:25
DirectX is a decent close-sourced games framework, so the editor doesn't require it at all, just your EXEs.

For information on essentially 'hacking' the compile process to remove the DirectX requirement, check this site out:
http://www.hybridmechanics.com/unchained/
Look up 'NoDX' under '[MODS]' in the left-hand menu.

(Note: This is just to remove the DirectX requirement, you must already use no DX commands; This means no 3D, no 2D (apart from 'Print' and a couple of others), no sound, no music, little (perhaps not any?) input, and none of the built-in netplay capability.)
Me!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2005 21:19 Edited at: 5th Nov 2005 21:23
Quote: "This means no 3D, no 2D (apart from 'Print' and a couple of others), no sound, no music, little (perhaps not any?) input"

but who wants a text only screensaver?

seriously, "work" should have directx 9.0c anyway, it not only covers stability patches but also security holes in DX, if anyone uses multimedia or some networking software, or webcams etc, then they realy need to have directx up to date just from the security/stability standpoint, it does more than just play games.

if there is one thing I can NOT tolerate, it`s intolerant people.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2005 14:44
Not the best solution I know, but if for any reason you are unable to install the latest version of DX on the machines at work, (some workplaces I know have strict rules what can and can't be installed), you also have the option of using Dark Basic Classic which uses earlier versions of DirectX.

TDK_Man

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 07:35:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 07:35:39