Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / DBPro: new to dbpro and I have some design questions :P

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

I just bought dbpro last week, I was going to buy gstudio but dbpro has more features for less money, so I decided to give it a try. Unfortunately, most of my (limited) coding experience has been with C-like languages, so I am having trouble with making the mental "jump" to Basic. I realize this is probably just a mental block, so I am hoping one of you might be able to give me a kick in the right direction.

Anyway, my plan for learning DBpro is to start with a very simple rpg that I can keep adding to and improving as I learn more. For this to work the code will need to be both modular and extensible so I don't have to keep going back and re-writing large chunks of code. I am hoping to use a lot of functions and user defined types to make this happen.

Here is my design document:

My very first version of this game will be a single room with an item (stick) I can pick up and a combat dummy I can hit with the stick. If I am really feeling wise I may add a door and a hallway. I want to be able to move around the room and jump up and down. Ultimately I want to be able to switch between 1st and 3rd person but for now first person will be ok.

Here is (one place) where I run into trouble: an RPG is basically a big database of objects, so I know I need to come up with a good object system, but I am not sure where it would "go" in the code. I assume an important part of my code will be a function that reads from a separate database file of all the objects I want in the game (monsters, weapons, etc) as needed while the game is running.

Sorry for the long post, but I guess what I need help with is mostly the structure of programming in DBpro. Where does stuff go? And why does it go there? How do you make sure your code can be extended and re-used?

Thanks in advance,
Matt
David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2005 20:46
well,i think the 1st thing u should start doing is read the help in db,find some tutorials on the forum.theres lots of them.then start messing with db,looking at some commands & testing them.

to get started for your game,theres even 1 single command for 1st person view: control camera using arrowkeys.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2005 20:49
Ehh, welcome to DB forums. Try my RPG tutorials. They have just started, but they are pretty good. They go over alot of basics.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2005 03:53
There are quite a few tutorials on my web site (link in sig below), but I'm sure most of them will not be advanced enough for you.

However, one of them covers the subject you are asking about - program layout and has an example skeleton program which lets you add procedures and functions as your programs get bigger and bigger.

It also makes avoiding the dreaded Goto command a lot easier!

TDK_Man

mbaucco
Years of Service
User Offline
Many thanks for the replies, I will look for that tutorial!
The Master
Years of Service
User Offline
I think you should bur the dark basic beginners guide book it should help

see ya!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 07:28:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 07:28:45