Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / DBPro Tutorial 6 Huge Dungeons - a quick SKYBOX question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am using Tutorial 6 as an example since everyone just about has a copy of it.

How would you go about adding a skybox to it if you remove the ceiling? I have seen the sniplets for:
load object "skybox.x",1
set object 1,1,1,0,0,0
and so on and I can create a skybox by itself.

But not with a 3d building already in existence.

so experimenting with tutorial 6 I have worked and wasted hours trying to put a skybox around it. I can remove the ceiling, but can not put a dark cloudy sky around it.

Also, has anyone figured out how to make a thunderstorm in DBPro?
That would be a cool effect and one I have been pondering with.
Thank you for your time.

PS: I just retired and I am having fun learning DBPro and just need a few pointers.

When programmers die, do they decompile?
OLD Tom
Years of Service
User Offline
I just need help trying to figure out why DBPro does not work with some commands on my PC. I have an AMD FX-32 with 1GB Memory and a Audigy 2 gamer and the ATI AIW 9800 Video card.

Here's the problem: Just about all the skybox examples I find on the web or in this forum DO NOT work. I get a blue screen for a background, or if it does work, I can not incorporate it into a program without getting the blue screen effect. THe ONLY one I found to work was one on this forum as a stand alone but I can not incorporate it in my program. What should I be looking out for when installing skybox code.

If you use the Huge Dungeon program, for an example, Add the code listed and it will not work within the program, at least not on my pc.

I would appreciate any help. I have looked over all the forum and I can not find any clue why this will not work on my pc.

mbaucco
Years of Service
User Offline
In one of the tutorials I read, they created a large sphere with a _negative_ radius, this puts the textured surface on the inside of the sphere. Have you tried this already?

-Matt
OLD Tom
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried the negative and it didn't work. After "playing" and testing I found this would work:
Obj=999999
Set Camera Range 30.0,170000.0
load object "skybox.x", obj
set object obj,1,1,0,0,0
set object cull obj,0
scale object obj,500000,500000,500000
position camera cx,0,cz

However the background is dark and not visible unless you move around the area. Then there was an interesting effect while moving, the background would light up in places around some of the clouds. Not the entire area but where a LIGHT command would reach the background, causing a semi-thunderstorm effect. Hmm, I will investigate more and add streak lighting to it. I added the Storm.wav to it already add the effect is creepy

IF anyone can come up with a reason this is or how to make a better storm effect I am open to suggestions. Thanks

OLD Tom
Years of Service
User Offline
PS: Removing the Backdrop command also helps or set it to off.

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2005 20:31
Using the SET OBJECT command, you have flags for Cull, Light and Ambient - where you can prevent any light in the scene from affecting the Skybox.

TDK_Man

Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2005 05:24
Quote: "scale object obj,500000,500000,500000"

Old Tom, why so large?

I use a player positioned based 3000,3000,3000 skybox and it works like a charm... Don't have any light commands atm so I don't know about the storm thing...
OLD Tom
Years of Service
User Offline
The skybox overlaps the playing field if the number is less that 300,000 for some odd reason. Oh the storm thingy? Try a dark sky with fog on and fog distance then

if rnd(10)=3 then fog off:play music 1(thunder)
if rnd(10)=5 then fog on.

With a yrotate, it looks like a severe storm in the distance.

Only wish I could do streak lighting.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 09:26:58
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 09:26:58