Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / German Techdemo Video

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2006 23:15
Man this has been stickied for so long. Am I the only one who didn't actually find the video that impressive? It's basically the water shader from the shader thread, a terrain, and some very simple building and plant models with a skybox. There doesn't appear to be any collision or actual interaction to speak of, or any game play at all for that matter. It's just a static level. The plants look nice, but I think that this video is lacking quite a bit, it's just a flythrough of a level and a shader.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 01:52
Well as they say.. feel free to do better, and I'll sticky it

Bite my shiny metal ass
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 02:05
It was an impressive demonstration of DBP. The average user would have said 'Wow, that looks nice.' DBP programmers watching it are going to be overly harsh, because we know how it was done.

It's like me watching a dumb military movie - other people are enjoying it around me, but I can't keep my mouth shut as I'm boiling with anger because a General is asking a Private for advice. Most people simply don't care.

The main point is that however it was done, it simply was done, and is a nice presentation.

Come see the WIP!
FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 01:43
The water shader doesn't even reflect correctly... *sigh* I wish we could get a real water shader with decent performance...

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
1GB DDR-SDRAM (May increase to 2GB one day)
512MB ATI Radeon X1800 Series - Finally! A card that does pixel shaders correctly!
Virtual X
Years of Service
User Offline
I thought it was pretty damn good, instead of posting

Quote: "it's just a flythrough of a level and a shader."

these guys and gal should be congratulated for obviously working damn hard on it, it's DBPro users like these guys who promote it and attract more customers who say

Quote: "Wow, that looks nice"

some people on this forum seem to think they are coding gods, it annoys me, give someone a pat on the back for a change and don't just make out that this quality work in something you could do in 5 mins.

Nice one, I loved the flythrough, top quality work, keep it up!
Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, it is very good I like the water effect the hills, well all of it the plants and such were very nice well done.
Does anyone know what shader was used, I want it.

Visit http://www.natsam.co.uk to find out about my games.
[href][/href]
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2006 20:26
I think it does look nice, but to be honest with what we have at disposal, you can understand why people aren't getting too impressed, its nice, but even I'm playing with shaders with my game, I doubt people will be impressed with just shaders, landscape and camera movement, don't get me wrong, I think the models are good quality and the presents has good quality too, but unfortunately as a Dark Basic forum you can easily understand why some people will focus on the programming in criticisms rather than how it looks.

But I'll be looking forward to more and some gameplay

夢の海に目覚めること - Into the sea of waking dreams - I am by John Clare

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 14:23:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 14:23:14