Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / how do I do that

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 08:37
Ok I saw this in a game my friend downloaded and I want to know how to do the glowing fluorescence effect but I can't find any online tutorials on how to do it. Maybe one of you could help.

I mostly use PSP 7.
If you want fresh underwear in the morning, take it off the night before.
large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 08:39
stupid image, I know where you're at

[img]www.angelfire.com/drodi/ug/unknown.png[/img]

large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 08:47
You anger me greatly

You better work, or else...

large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 08:48
Ha, I win, I win, you're a pile of...

Better stop before I get my thread removed.

Killer Sponge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 14:14
dunno m8, the best thing to do is use the seperate are of the image you want to "GLOW" and make several copies of it, and with PSP7 use the retouch tool with the change to colour or brighten tool (one or the other or both) and on each copy of the image change the intensity of the effect and in your program/animation change this bit/display to the one of the images in order. If your doing it in the game or program of creation just get it to keep pasting the image over the area. If your doing a animation, you must change that area in each frame. follow?

Hope so.
k-sponge

Current Project: Lode Runner Db (Working Name)
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 22:30
do you mean in DB or an art program?

In an art program, copy the image, and apply a motion blur to it the size of the glow. Then brighten the blured image, and place it over the origianl object. Quick fix.

In DBP, you'd have to make the glow a seperate object, like a texture mapped onto a plain, placed over the object

Darken the skies, we are God.
Happy Mongoose
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2003 00:57
You can also do it by creating the image you want, with a separate layer of alpha values, and pasting it onto a plain, rectangular 3D image.

To do this, you will need to create a DDS file - these images contain your original picture, plus a layer of alpha values that can be use to make your glow mix in with the surrounding background. You can create some suitable alpha values by simply making a greyscale version of your original picture, ramping up the brightness and making sure all of the non-glowing parts are completely white (otherwise your "solid" bits of image will be transparent.)

You can get a copy of Texture Tool from Microsoft for free to create your DDS file for you (it's part of the DX8 SDK.)

Load in your image onto a plain, 3D object. If this is the only 3D object in the scene, you can then raise or lower the ambient light values to make your object fade up and down. If you have other 3D objects in the scene, you will have to alter how that specific object reacts to the lights around it.

The benefit of this method is that you only need to create one image.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 23:50:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 23:50:50