Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / help with models

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hi there... im been reading through the site, but i still need some help, so if some1 could please help me out, it would be much appreciated.
i've come across loadsa advice...figured out that trying to run any models but .x ones might be a lost cause in dbpro. so i read up a little more, and tried out panda and milkshape.
well, with panda, i didnt even know how to start the godd damn program, just got a whole bunch of tutorial pages. now im using milkshape
firstly, i dont really want to create models, just download free ones, and export them. i tried a eds model, and the texture material showd up fine in milkshape, but after i exported to .x, and ran it in my dbpro code, there were no textures, it was all grey.
oh, also, milkshape doesnt seem to open .x files,... so i cant to anything with them

wouldnt some 1 help me out please
thanks

Try playing doom 3 on a laptop....
MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
i know what your problem is. You have to load a bsp. I dont have milkshape but i have several guys made from it. Each one has a bmp file that has all the textures and things but layed out flat. I dont know if this helps you but oh well. When i use the milkshape ones i dont have to load the bmp. it might help you. Maybe if you have bump mapping command somewhere in the program you didnt use it right. I dont really know but i hope this helps

8. According to plaque, "When Bush gives order, nod politely, wait to hear what Cheney says"
3. The plane's sole security feature: an angry kitty
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2005 02:24
1. Panda is a plugin for 3ds max, not a program (from my understanding) that allows 3dsmax to export .x models. (3dsmax is a modeling program)

2. The textures for objects aren't saved with them usually, you're going to have to find the image file containing the texture, then in DBP use the TEXTURE OBJECT command and the LOAD IMAGE command to load the image into the program and then wrap it around the object.

3. I recommend learning to make your own models, it gives you a greater satisfaction in knowing you created the media, and it gives you a better understanding of how the model is working (ie how to best texture te model, how to configure the model to be of lower polys to suit your needs, etc.)

4. Im pretty sure milkshape allows you to import the .x files. Not positive though, if not then you'll need to find a converter.

5. I also recommend checking out wings 3d, its great for beginners and exports .3ds files which for the most part of it work in DBP with some exceptions, plus I believe you can import .x models into it. http://www.wings3d.com

Deth Wish
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks loads for your input.

ok, i think i wasntclear enough in my first Q
lemme go through what i have here
ive already created simple games in DBP, like the whole pong thingy, , and 2d games, and simple objects.

we're using DBPro as a language in our college, game programming. trying to make a multiplayer game. i really dont have much time to make it really fancy. thats why right now, im just looking to download free stuff and use it, as we're being graded on programming, not the creation of models ad worlds (not much...it does add to the oomph)

1) created interface, loaded a simple BSP form the tutorials provided, however that is the only BSP tat ever loads properly. HL and Quake BSPs dont show up. and i would really like to use bsp, as they have more "wordly" worlds...and collision response (sliding) is built in, lot easier that way. loading others, i get black / transparent maps (or not at all)...mebbe im not keeing the textures properly, but i included them in the same dir. any idea WHY the other wont load, also, any idea where i can get free working bsps...also, where i can download a bsp editor (had one with my half life, but lost the CD)

Quote: "i know what your problem is. You have to load a bsp. "

Quote: "The textures for objects aren't saved with them usually, you're going to have to find the image file containing the texture, then in DBP use the TEXTURE OBJECT command and the LOAD IMAGE command to load the image into the program and then wrap it around the object"

oh and the .3ds file didnt come with any textures, it was downloaded, and that was the only file, (a 747 with a few stripes)

2)tried loading objects, loads .x files, not anything else (error: cannot load 3d object) ... even if i load them after i load a bsp. i would like to get some animated models into the game, for players and enemies and multi player. any idea where im going wrong here. also, where can i get free models that DBP will work with, and a model editor.
plus since im a total noob at modelling, and i dont have muchtime to give thisi in. what do i do for milkshape, just download import/export plugins?

that should be the hardest bits... i thik i can work out the logic on the rest, (camera, guns, shooting)

oh btw, ruccus, i saw ur tutorial on fps, nice. gonna be looking around for more stuff

thanks loads again guys

p.s.
i would love to attach code, but right now, i dnt have a proper file / files. but if anyone would still like to see the code, ill include it .

Try playing doom 3 on a laptop....
Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2005 05:20
.x import for Milkshape:

Top Menu - Tools - DirectX Mesh Tools... - Import .x file

Free stuff:

Turbosquid (all kinds of formats)

For textures: you need an image or the model will just be grey, also you need to change the uv cords to match the part of the image you want to appear on the model...

select all then go to materials load your image (where is says none) and hit assign... hit ctrl-t to bring up texture cordinator window... move vertices around image to correctly display...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 09:31:11
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 09:31:11