Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / makeing a L.A.N game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 03:07
i am trying to make a game that plays over local area network how would i go about doing so,and how would i make it so the people can join the game
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 03:39
Check out Multisync in the program announcements board. Search it.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 14:13
all of this is documented very well in the dbpro help files. they really helped me, but it would be best to not use the internal db multiplayer commands. atleast not in U58 and down... i dont know what it's like in U59

Zombie Hunter DBPro Open Source Project:
editor: 14% | survive mode: 30% | multiplayer: 0% | story mode: 0% | DEMO: 18%
DrewG
Years of Service
User Offline
Anyone have any examples or games for multiplayer lan?

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Dbpro internal commands actually work perfectly for lan games its just that when you try and connect outside your network that you have problems with the router issue.

The admiral
DK_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2005 03:07 Edited at: 19th Nov 2005 03:11
I have a great Multiplayer example. Although I've been doing a lot of work on it so It's very messy and almost imposible to understand even for me, and it isn't commented. However try it out anyway, and if you want I might be able to clean it up, explain it, or comment.
I have several versions of this program so I'm not sure if this one has all the features but it does at least have basic multiplayer, you can even play accross the internet with or without LAN I've tested both. Or what's usually a lot faster, is just run the program twice, once as host, then again and connect to yourself.

My final version has chat in game, admin abilities, like kicking other players out of game if admin and making other players admin. There is also dedicated hosting, and Server side maps loading. Server side maps, means that other players joining the game don't have to have a copy of the map all they get the info from the host server.

Anyway here is a version of it, not sure if it's the best one:

EDIT
by the way, I'm eventually planning on making all the commands into simple functions, so people can put it into their games much easier.
I would first like to put it into a DLL if that's possible. So if anyone knows how to put DBPro commands into a DLL please let me know, if it's even possible.

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
So you have no problems with the router network issue with this??

The admiral
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2005 14:11
Anything that doesn't need to get beyond a router doesn't require much setting up.

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin - 50%
DK_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2005 16:00 Edited at: 19th Nov 2005 16:02
Well, I am on a network of 3 computers. All 3 go through a router to get to internet. I also use Norton Internet security. When I tested it with another person I didn't have any problems at all, however the other person had some, I think he just had to turn off his firewall, but he somehow traced the ports that need to be active and then had no problems after that even with firewall on.
so most people shouldn't have too much trouble, but I haven't tested on computers that connect to internet through another computer.

EDIT
Now that I think about it though, even though I was using a router I may have not encountered any problems because I was hosting the server.

Jerok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 04:13
thanks for all your help guys sorry it took me so long to reply i was out for the past 4 days. thanks again

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 09:32:02
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 09:32:02