Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 3D object questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2005 15:11 Edited at: 19th Nov 2005 15:11
I just started programming 3d stuff with DBC, and I have a few questions:

1. How do you know how to draw a texture for a model, like only 1 bmp file? Attached is an example of what I mean.

2. How do you load the textures with an .x file? I thought I saw somewhere that the name for the textures have to be less than 8 letters or something. Whenever I would make a 3d object and load it in DB, it doesn't appear, and when I open it whith the DB browse program, it just crashes.

3. And what is the difference between 3ds or .x objects and meshes?

4. Limbs in 3d are really confusing. Where can I learn how to use them?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2005 21:22
Quote: "1. How do you know how to draw a texture for a model, like only 1 bmp file? Attached is an example of what I mean."

well if you have a 3d modelling program theres a tool called uv mapper this make the 3d object's faces (the sides of the object and stuff) into a 2d image and your bmp image is then put on place so that the 2d image of the objects face corrosponds with that of the bitmap so you can move it around so parts of the bitmap go on parts of the object.

Quote: "2. How do you load the textures with an .x file? I thought I saw somewhere that the name for the textures have to be less than 8 letters or something. Whenever I would make a 3d object and load it in DB, it doesn't appear, and when I open it whith the DB browse program, it just crashes."

ok, about the image have you saved the image in your project folder and have you used these commands-load image "yourimage.bmp',image number(and)texture object object number,image number.

Quote: "3. And what is the difference between 3ds or .x objects and meshes?"

3ds stand for '3d studio' which is a type of object file type so when you come to load that object the command will be load object "yourobject.3ds" .x is direct x and one of the most common one to use in dark basic. So both are just object file formats.

Quote: "4. Limbs in 3d are really confusing. Where can I learn how to use them?"

search the forums and look at the dark basic examples. limbs can be confusing but when you've got the jist of them they'lle become very usefull.

i hope this has helped you please post if you want more help.

programer
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Quote: "2. How do you load the textures with an .x file? I thought I saw somewhere that the name for the textures have to be less than 8 letters or something. Whenever I would make a 3d object and load it in DB, it doesn't appear, and when I open it whith the DB browse program, it just crashes."

ok, about the image have you saved the image in your project folder and have you used these commands-load image "yourimage.bmp',image number(and)texture object object number,image number."

In the help, it says that it automaticly loads the texture too, but whenever I make one and texture it in DeleD lite, it doesn't load in DB. Whenever it DOES work, the texture doesn't...

Quote: "Quote: "3. And what is the difference between 3ds or .x objects and meshes?"

3ds stand for '3d studio' which is a type of object file type so when you come to load that object the command will be load object "yourobject.3ds" .x is direct x and one of the most common one to use in dark basic. So both are just object file formats."

I wanted to know the difference between (meshes) and (3d objects). Sorry if the question was confusing. It wasn't worded very well

The answer to the first question helped. Thanks. Can you explain the thingies above in this post?

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2005 07:10
Quote: "2. How do you load the textures with an .x file? I thought I saw somewhere that the name for the textures have to be less than 8 letters or something. Whenever I would make a 3d object and load it in DB, it doesn't appear, and when I open it whith the DB browse program, it just crashes."

The texture filename must be in 8.3 format - ie no more than 8 characters, then a full stop then the extension.

If you are having problems and your textures are JPG files, try with BMP files.

TDK_Man

Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2005 07:55 Edited at: 20th Nov 2005 07:57
Quote: "In the help, it says that it automaticly loads the texture too, but whenever I make one and texture it in DeleD lite, it doesn't load in DB. Whenever it DOES work, the texture doesn't..."

This maybe a silly question, but are you loading the image file as well as the model into DB cause what your referring too most likely means that DB will automatically apply the loaded texture to model from within the program...

essentially meaning you don't need to use the "texture object" command if the model has already been mapped with a texture like with DeleD...

hope this helps...

Sorry missed the DBC "Classic" part so syntax maybe different, this is how I can load a model and texture image with Pro...
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "If you are having problems and your textures are JPG files, try with BMP files.

TDK_Man"

I think that is the problem...

Quote: "This maybe a silly question, but are you loading the image file as well as the model into DB cause what your referring too most likely means that DB will automatically apply the loaded texture to model from within the program...

essentially meaning you don't need to use the "texture object" command if the model has already been mapped with a texture like with DeleD.."

Hmmm...that makes sense...I'll try it.

UFOs other account lol
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2005 15:44 Edited at: 20th Nov 2005 15:44
I have a question. How would you be able to use a model like this:

How do you bend the arms and stuff?

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2005 15:50
Well without using a 3D modeller you would first have to perform a checklist for limbs on the object. Then you would use commands like rotate limb and offset limb so that you can simulate movement

The old sig is back
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 01:25 Edited at: 21st Nov 2005 01:25
I'll try your suggestions tomorrow, Heckno. Thanks alot.

Quote: "Antidote User

Holy Cow! I didn't know anyone lives that close to me! I live in Cary...

Dodic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 17:38
Quote: "4. Limbs in 3d are really confusing. Where can I learn how to use them?"

there are limb explained in help . limbs are ordered in the order you create 3d model objects.

if you first add a box , and then a sphere (to your model)
box will be limb 1 , and sphere limb 2.

p.s. you should search for some tutors about that , i`m sure there are.

you only live once , but you die twice
born and death!
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
I need more help than the help file about limbs

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 09:26:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 09:26:07