Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Tyrannt RPG Enging (Full Demo now available)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2005 21:27
Sorry for starting a new thread but I needed to change the Title and didn't know how. (Mods feel free to delete the Character Generator demo thread)

Website will be updated later but A new installer is now available for people to try out.

This will now contain: http://www.jsunmedia.com/TyranntInstall.exe

Music by Bjorn Lynn (Copyright http://www.shockwave-sound.com)
Full character generator
Character Portraits now in main game view
New menuing system
New Main Menu title screen
New Split Generator Tools (Available from the Installed Program Group)

A few Screen Shots from the game engine:

Main Menu

Character Generator

Main Play View

Please let me know of any problems and I will try to fix ASAP.
Any suggestions please let us know.

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 00:03
I've just done a fix to the lock problem in the combat. And you should now be able to finish combat. I've uploaded a new version of the installer.

If any one is interested the combat section currently looks like:

This has yet to have the make over but does do all the combat rules etc. behind the scenes that will be used in the final version of the combat screen.

Here are some of the pieces of art that David is working on for monsters in the engine:

These are some pictures representing the races in the engine

Hunmans

Elves

Dwarfs

Gnomes

All these images are copyright to slegeworks and should not be used unless you get permission. http://www.sledgeworks.com

You can see more of the mythology/Bestiary behind the engine and some more of the graphics etc. on the forum pages mentioned in the original posting. The new version is also downloadable via the link in the original posting.

Cheers,

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 00:41 Edited at: 21st Nov 2005 00:41
That looks really cool! Reminds me of Dungeon Master

Can't try it now though...

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 00:46 Edited at: 21st Nov 2005 01:19
Downloading, looks very professional. Will edit this post when the download completes and I run it.

edit: Ok ran the program, Wheni try and modify a character it gets up to the select portrait option but hweni click it after 3 seconds of showing portraits I get a image error and teh game crashes. Then in game damn it loos awesome old school, combat is good but I couldn't seem to use any ranged weapons unless I was standing next to the enemy, nor could i use spells but i guess they haven't been implemented? It slowed down combat heaps as 5 rats took me 10 mins to kill bottleneckin them at the door. the light mace is the worst I killed the snake saswell though that was good. All in all a very swish game but still needs lots of the work done.

jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 00:50
It's got the old style turn base RPG games of old as it's influence. There is still a lot to do, hence setting up the forum to brain dump and get ideas suggestions etc. Hopefully at the end of it, there will be a pen and paper RPG beginings as well based on the rules of the engine.

Cheers,

Jas

----
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 09:41
@Wigget, Thanks for trying it out. Could you tell me what Race Sex combination you chose when modifying a character? Depending on this it will load a different set of portraits which could help me track down the problem.

With ranged weapons it will work out line of site to the monster. If there is a wall or character blocking this line of site it will not allow you to select the that monster as a target. If you can see there is an obvious error in this forumla, then please send a screen shot of the combat to me and i'll try to re-produce.

With magic, yup that is yet to be done. A spell generator will get added to the other generators currently available. It should speed up combat a bit when magic is implemented as any magic users are next to useless without their magic.

Yup there is a lot more to do (Hence a small version number), The combat screen is due for a re-write as well are the current Generators to incorperate the graphics into the game. I also need to re-implement the inventory system to allow a characters inventory to be used and abused.

Cheers,

Jas

----
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 15:52
Quote: "Dwarfs"

that has to be the first dwarf lady i've seen in my entire life...

no... really...

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 17:34
"All dwarfs have beards and wear up to twelve layers of clothing. Gender is more or less optional."

This world opted for gender

Jas

----
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 17:50
Dude I remember using this a while back, looks like its come its way, nice work and concept art dude

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 18:34
David has done a lot of work on the Art side of things, I'm really pleased he wanted to join in the development of the engine.

If anyone is interested in influencing what I work on next in the engine then join the Tyrannt Forum and vote/post comments.

http://www.jsunmedia.com/tyrannt/viewtopic.php?t=40

Thanks,

Jas

----
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2005 00:34
It's a damn fine game, and the portrait error seemed to happen with both human and elf, and yeah I would have had my archers behidn the fighters so that's why it wouldn't have worked. anyway keeep up the good work, the game is pretty damn awesome.

Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2005 00:42
Quote: " "All dwarfs have beards and wear up to twelve layers of clothing. Gender is more or less optional.""

someone reads prachett

Cavex
Years of Service
User Offline
Good but I would like to see or at least hear what going on in battles and see the stuff that begin talk in mazes to.
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2005 11:18
@Cavex, The audio in battles sounds like a good idea as an intermediate way of improving the experience. We could give each attack item a Use, Hit and miss sound, And each defence item Hit sound. (Ie shield/Armour was hit). And with monsters, add a movement sound for when they move in combat.

Working on a 3d view of the battle is on my list of things to do, but will take quiet a long time for me to work on as the 3d side of things is my least strong point at the moment.

I would love these sorts of suggestions to be added to my development forum. I have the following thread which contains the stuff I am planning on working on:
http://www.jsunmedia.com/tyrannt/viewtopic.php?t=40
In there is a re-develop the maze generator section which will contain a tile designer which will be used to design blocks of the maze. These tiles will then be used to build up the maze. I'm hoping to start learning the 3d techneques by turning the maze generator into a 3d environment instead of the existing one. Again this will take quite a long time for me to do as it will be a learning process.

@Wigget,
Thanks, I'll start investigating when it get home from work and will hopefully update the installer with the fix.

Cheers,

Jas

----
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2005 13:08
Here's my current way of thinking about the next generation of maze generator for the engine.

New Maze Generator Tool
-----------------------
The approach to generating a maze in this new version of the generator tool will be to take a 3 tier approach. First tier is to create objects. The next tier is to use these objects to make a maze block. Then the final tier is to use these maze blocks to generate the final maze. Below I’ve approached each of these tiers separately.

Object Designer
---------------
The object designer will be a 3d window showing the object (which can freely rotate around the centre of the object). Plus a way of entering the below parameters.

The object designer will create an object with parameters. The parameters are:

Object Type: Wall, Floor, Ceiling, Door or General

Object Texture: The wall, floor, ceiling and door are created using primitives and then textured. This is the texture used. (Can also be used to basically texture general objects if required)

If object type is a general object, then you have ability to adjust the following properties

Object Attaches to: Wall, Floor, Ceiling or Floats.

Object Relative Position: X,Y,Z

Maze Block Designer (Version 1)

The maze tile will be built using a building block system.

There will be a 3d window in the top left of the screen showing the current block.

Below the window will be the buttons for doing things like Loading Saving etc.

Blow this there will be a category list

Clicking on a category will cause a list to appear on the right hand side of the objects in that list. An example of an object is a wall, floor, chest etc.

One limitation to the version 1 of the block designer is a block has to have a roof and floor before being valid to save. (I.e. a closed in maze, outside will be added in a later version)

Maze Generator
--------------
This will be an 3rd person 3d view of the maze and you will select the maze blocks and paste/rotate etc the blocks to make up a final maze.

----
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2005 16:18
Amazing! Great work and patience!

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2005 22:12
@Wigget, I've tried and tried to re-produce the problem on the installed version but cannot get it to crash. Could you try a re-install of 0.27 version just to make sure.

Thanks,

Jas

----
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 15:18 Edited at: 25th Nov 2005 15:19
Just to keep peeps informed. I've updated the forum site with details on future plans plus a poll for people to vote for what they want to see impletmented next. There are links for each of the poll items to the thread with the details.

1) Create Spell System (Medium time required)
2) Re-Write the maze Generator System in 3D (Long time required)
3) Tidy up the Main 3D Play area, e.g. speed inventory etc (Medium time required)
4) Add Experience/Levelling system (Medium Time Required)
5) Graphically/Audibly overhaul Combat System Part 1 (Medium Time Required)
6) Overhaul the Monster Generator Screen (Medium time required)
7) Overhaul the Encounter Generator Screen (Medium time required)

Some of these plans have already been modified due to feeback here.

Click here to see Poll Unfortunatly you need to register to vote (A built in limitation to phpBB which I'm trying to get access to change) but if you join this forum, your details are kept private unless you want to show anything.

Click here to see the forum for the current game Design

You can post bug reports and suggestions to the relevent forums without having to register though.

Cheers,

Jas

----

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 10:22:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 10:22:13