Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Tank Demo by Lee Bamber

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 15:56
Hi,

I have had DarkBASIC pro for a couple of weeks now, I purchased the software with the single goal of making a tank warfare simulation game.

I have been using 3D Studio Max for about three years, and would like to put my 3D tank models into a game for a group of AFV enthusiasts to play (but I do not have any programming experience, I think that C or C++ would just be too much for me, and that I would never finish what I started due to time constraints or eventual loss of interest due to my lack of programming savvy, hence my launch into the world of DarBASIC Pro). Although I am slowly getting to grips with DarkBASIC (very, very slowly).

I'm looking for the "Tank Demo" by Lee Bamber. This game is described on pages 11 and 12 of the "Beginners Guide to DarkBASIC Game Programming". The CD included with the book does not iclude this game, also, I am unable to find a copy of this hosted on the web (and I've googled just about everywhere without success).

I know it is included on the original DarkBASIC disc.

Can anyone kindly point me in the right direction to find this game.
(Does it come with source code?)

Many thanks for your kind help in advance.

Best regards,

Jack
Dodic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 17:03
yeah , here it is :
you get it when you buy db lite.

and watch out , tank war simulation is much harder to make then this tank game !

you only live once , but you die twice
born and death!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dodic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 17:04
p.s. i`m a 3d studio max 6 moddeler , that is what i do for living , and if you need ANY help with your game , just ask

born and death!
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 17:05
There are 3 Tank games that I remember, however none of them are for DarkBASIC Professional (they were all DB games). Even so, I have attached a zip to this message that contains Tank games 2 and 3 including source code. I have not tested but they may not work in DBPro immediately (you might need to modify the code first). But it's worth a shot anyway!

Cheers,

Rich

Fat kids always win at see-saw.

The world is full of idiots. But an unusually high percentage seem to appear on my TV screen.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dodic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 17:27
and just so you know , you will have to add a few thing to make it like a simulation , example add the turet to rotate left and right and then fire (you could it to rotate with mouse).

but first i suggest you make something like the tank game , becouse when you learn that much , it wont be to difficult to progres to your desiers

born and death!
Bright Spark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2005 16:53
Many thanks to the both of you for kindly hosting these files. I have been raking over the source code for ideas.

I have been planning a Panzer Warfare Simulation game for a very long time, after much research and comparison I finally chose Dark BASIC Pro to write my game in.

I must admit, when I initially received the DB Pro box and started to read the enclosed manual, I was a little hesitant, besides the reference listing of commands, there seemed to be very little information about actually programming a 3D game in the DB Pro language.

I subsequently bought, and am starting to read "The Beginners Guide to DarkBASIC Game Programming" by J.S. Harbour & J. R. Smith; again, I was shocked by how little information there actually is about 3D game development.

I don’t know, perhaps its just me, I'm under no illusions as to my ability at this early stage, this is going to take time and allot of self-application (reading, looking at others code examples and doing), without the step-by-step information at hand, I seem to be faltering before I even start (sorry to sound so negative, it is not my intention).

I have also just ordered "Hands On DarkBASIC Pro Vol 1", perhaps this may shed a little more light for a beginner starting to use this language for the first time.

Any pointers in the right direction would be great fully appreciated.

Again, thank you both for your kind help.

Best regards,

Jack

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 09:32:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 09:32:28