Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / how can i make a good game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
i have made one but cant tell if its good can you check it out

i make zork games

Attachments

Login to view attachments
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Please don't make seperate topics. Since they are about the same thing, you should merge both of them into one topic. Next time, if you have something to add to your topic, don't make another one please.

If you want someone to play your game, can you please post the code?

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 17:44
A good game takes time. Go through the tutorials, learn DBP. Just think to yourself : would I download this game myself if I saw the screenshots and read the description? If your answer isn't yes, you've done yourself wrong.

Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 21:33 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2005 21:43
Quote: "A good game takes time. Go through the tutorials, learn DBP. Just think to yourself : would I download this game myself if I saw the screenshots and read the description? If your answer isn't yes, you've done yourself wrong. "

He can't learn Darkbasic... he's not programming in it.

Edit:

@zork all the way:

You're starting to annoy me because I love both Zork and Darkbasic... yet you defile both by posting Quickbasic code with a totally non-zorkish interface.

Please answer this question... I want to hear YOU say it:

What language is that written in?
zork all the way
Years of Service
User Offline
no one has herd of VB have they and there is no install just hit it hit open and wehn your done hit close its that easy but if you want sreenys il give you sreenys im srry a bout all what im doing im just 11 and me and my dad have bean working on this game alll week please il post some sreen shots now if you want but right now HOW THE HECK DO I DO THIS PICK THING well i did it in visual basic it was how i made the front of it but it took us a week on how to figur out how the heck to make difret rooms so come on im srry im just trying to fit in

i make zork games
Krimzon DestinE
Years of Service
User Offline
know what you are doing
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2005 18:41
How can you make a good game? Find a programming language that suits you and practice it until your good.

How come no one here wants to play your game?

THIS IS A DARKBASIC GAMES FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2005 21:40
Quote: " well i did it in visual basic it was how i made the front of it but it took us a week on how to figur out how the heck to make difret rooms so come on im srry im just trying to fit in"

I'm glad you finally admitted it instead of just ignoring all my messages (I did eventually find out it was written in Visual Basic and not Quickbasic... I posted it in your other message). If you really want to fit in here... get the language that we are all using... Darkbasic. Even though you started out on a bad foot... you can still recover if you download the language we use and start programming in it. Insisting we accept this program because you and your dad took a long time to make it isn't going to cut it around here.

I'm glad you started programming at an early age (many of us did) and your Dad is helping you (it's a great father-son project)... but you need to download Darkbasic and only post code written in Darkbasic if you want to fit in here. It's the only way we can help you too. Most of us don't even have Visual Basic so there's no way we can help you program or even judge any program you make in it.

Here's a link to the trial version of Darkbasic Pro:
http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?f=trial

If you don't want to download Darkbasic then go to a forum that's for Visual Basic and post there instead:
http://www.a1vbcode.com/vbforums/

Either way we both win... you will get the acceptance you desire here if you get Darkbasic and post only code/programs written in it... or elsewhere if you choose not to get Darkbasic.
zork all the way
Years of Service
User Offline
but one thing man will you try to play it and i alredy did the db trile and was so confused i gave up but then i got game tap and looked a round my dad was talking at the tabel when i was eating and he remebered zork so me and him played it for 15 mins that night and we LOVED IT it felt like we wre realy haveing that stuff happing to us sowe desided to make are own i havent worked on it in at least 1 mothnt go give us a brake i want to get some coments on this game

i make zork games
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 14:33
Sorry, but I'm with Grog...

If you want comments on a VB game, you must go to a VB forum.

This is a Dark Basic forum and we can only comment constructively on DB programs because we know what DB can do and can therefore offer suggestion for improvement based on that knowledge.

We know nothing about VB so we don't know what can or can't be done to make your program better.

I can see why you thought you could post about your game on here though, but The Game Creators is the name of the company which produces Dark Basic and doesn't mean that the forum is for 'game creators'.

Good luck if you decide to learn DB and join us though!

TDK_Man

super skull
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2005 03:35
well first off the game makes no scence second i agree with every one else you will be better off in a vb forum
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2005 05:31
Quote: "srry a bout all what im doing im just 11 and me and my dad have bean working on this game alll week"

sad...

i wish my dad could help me with games... that would be fun

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
woah david/zork ur like my clone.... except i dont go spamming db forums about vb. im 11 2 and we have same name o.O
anyway dont go spamming our forums find a website about vb or buy dark basic.

There are only two types of people. The ones that agree with me and the ones that are wrong
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2005 09:29 Edited at: 26th Nov 2005 09:49
Quote: "but one thing man will you try to play it and i alredy did the db trile and was so confused i gave up but then i got game tap and looked a round my dad was talking at the tabel when i was eating and he remebered zork so me and him played it for 15 mins that night and we LOVED IT it felt like we wre realy haveing that stuff happing to us sowe desided to make are own i havent worked on it in at least 1 mothnt go give us a brake i want to get some coments on this game"

I actually thought about going over your game and posting my opinion about it... but I decided it's a waste of time. If you're so hard headed to refuse to go to a place that accepts Visual Basic code then I seriously doubt you would even listen to anything I have to say about your program.

I will tell you my opinion so far on what i've seen to this point. Looking at the code you posted in the WIP board your code consists of case statement after case statement. It looks for specific text to be typed in. I'm sorry but that's just not the way to do a text adventure like Zork. Yes, it appears to work fine but you cannot make code for the millions of permutations you need to look for every single thing the user would type... at least not like you're doing. Text adventure games separate the words that are typed in to determine what the user is talking about. They often don't require even the whole word for the computer to know what the word is. Once it defines each word (verb, item, movement) Looking at each word and in what order they were typed the program determines what the user wants to do.

Because you search for the user to type in specific things there is a problem. I don't see any code that changes the user input to highercase or lowercase before checking what was typed in... so that makes it even more difficult to play. As an example in the first room you have a case statement looking for "e" and "East"... so if the user types "east" it doesn't know what their talking about... the user can only type "East" (with a higher case E if you didn't catch that) for the program to acknowledge it as a request to go east.

The interface you want to use is a very non-zorkish way to do it. You don't allow the user to check their inventory (because it's always displaying)... and your inventory tracking is horrible (code wise)... it's crazy to track inventory by variables (and not arrays). "lantern=1" only causes even more code for each if/then statement to check for each variable of inventory. You have played Zork... and you know is scrolls text on the screen (very easy to do in Darkbasic)... so what's with the small window and no scrolling text??

Because your code is a bunch of case statements the most obvious way to make the code better put everything in a file and load it into arrays... the room descriptions, the exits, the items... everything. You can reduce your code like crazy simply by doing that (in any language).

But because this is a Darkbasic forum and not Visual Basic... we cannot help you to make those changes... unless you decide to get Darkbasic. If you want to finish this game in VB then you must stop posting here and go to a Visual Basic forum. I made sure the VB forum I picked had lots of messages... so it's a very active forum and i'm sure you'll get replies.

Insisting all of us review a game made in a language other than Darkbasic is crazy. Does your Dad know you're doing this? Does he condone what you're doing here? It's silly to keep pushing we review a game that's in another language.

Think about it like this:
If I went to your house and started yelling at you and your Dad because I bought a drill at Walmart that didn't work... and I refuse to leave your property until you take this drill and give me my money. How would you react? Would you tell me that your house is not Walmart and for me to leave?

Posting here and wanting us to review your game is the same thing as me wanting my money back for that drill that you did not sell me. This is not the place for your program review because it's in Visual Basic... go to the right place or get Darkbasic.

I have one request... go get your Dad and show him this entire thread. Afterword ask him if he thinks you need to go to a Visual Basic forum... if anything show him the following.

@Zork all the ways Dad

It's nice to see fathers helping their kids to program (my Dad introduced me to programming too)... but there's a time and a place for everything... this is the time to teach your son this concept. He needs to go to a place where they accept Visual Basic or he needs to program in Darkbasic. I encourage you to get Darkbasic for him... perhaps a christmas gift... make sure it's Darkbasic Pro. You can still do the father-son thing and learn Darkbasic together. He sounds like a great kid... if Darkbasic isn't in your families future... help him to do the right thing. Thank you.
zork all the way
Years of Service
User Offline
i did post on the vb borde and right now im instaling a 14 day trile for wow

i make zork games
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2005 22:03
Is WOW a new programming language or World of Warcraft?
Dark Flame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2005 01:03
Quote: "i did post on the vb borde and right now im instaling a 14 day trile for wow"

LOL, Whats that got to do with anything?

Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 03:20
Zork (all the way) I think your missing the big picture here....

We want you to join the community but to do that you need to code your programs with the Dark Basic language...

It's like saying "hey football mates, I've got my hockey skates see you on the pitch..."

football = building games
hockey skates = VB (visual basic)

you want to build games (very cool) but to get respect here it needs to be done in this communities language...

hope this clears things up...

Zork Dad - Kudos to you sir....
Getix Interactive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 04:52
Please delete this thread. It has nothing to do with DarkBasic at all. He coded it with VB (VISUAL basic).
zork all the way: find a VB forum to post this in. This is for DARKBasic NOT VISUALBasic. Hope you understand. Adios Muchachos.
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 21:38
I checked that VB forum that I found for him. He is posting there and doesn't appear to want to try Darkbasic. He posted his Zork game but nobody is posting in his thread... he's basically just talking to himself.

Most of his messages consist of "come to my forum" messages. I'm surprised people haven't been yelling at him. He's just being ignored.

His Zork thread:
http://www.a1vbcode.com/a1vbcode/vbforums/Topic15137-8-1.aspx
Old Dreamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Tiny Utility

I know this is all about games, but I'm interested in other amusements besides shoot-em-ups, puzzles, etc.

Here\'s a little program I tinkered up that I call the Itty-Bitty Random Sound Picker. You put it in the proper folder (or change the folder name) and it checks out all the .wav files in the folder, then picks one and plays it. It still needs work. Maybe someone would care to improve it.

I set it to run \"hidden\" and made a desktop shortcut, so I can just click the icon and it plays some random sound. I was going to put it in my startup folder, but it gets interrupted by other programs starting up. I haven\'t tried getting it to run \"exclusive.\"

The two main things I need to work on is that it still sometimes gets a file that it can\'t play, and it doesn\'t seem to be randomizing at all well. I keep getting the same ones frequently, and only rarely something I hadn\'t heard in a while.

If you\'re not interested in improving this, I hope it will at least inspire more off-the-beaten-path programs.

http://home.att.net/~david.bump

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 09:24:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 09:24:56