Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / What development tools/programs are used for large multiplayer games?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I trying to do some research to see what development tools and/or programs are used to build large multi-player games like RuneScape and World of Warcraft Community? Can this be done using DarkBasic Pro (and perhaps other tools on this site)?
Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2005 14:22
Yes but your not going to get anything like that done any time soon. DBP is a programming language it is not a drag and drop program. Runescape was made in java, that is also a programming language. You have to learn a lot before you go making the next runescape.

mottwsc
Years of Service
User Offline
Are there any drag and drop 3D game programming packages that also allow access to the code if you wanted to tailor it?
super skull
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2005 18:07 Edited at: 28th Nov 2005 18:33
3d game creator but im not sure if it supports multiplayer
gamesmad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2005 22:53
Dont get T3DGM, it really wont impress you... You can make crap games like that with DB, and you will have much finer control over things. Get DB, you will learn to make better and better programs, eventually you might be able to tackle a MMO project similar to RuneScape.

Will

Team leader of Games Mad! and 3D designer, modeller and animator for Cyrain Studios.
General Sephiro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 05:51 Edited at: 30th Nov 2005 05:53
tisk tisk, think out side of the box, if you were to learn how to program in Dark Basic Classic / Pro, well it actually doesn't really matter. If you spend enough time at it you'll be able to create your own drag and drop system for creating things like levels etc..

If you have a basic multiplayer code created, you'd be able to create multiplayer games with ease, but first things first you'd probably need to learn how to make the games first which can take from... 1 day if your a natural programmer, or 5 years if your the type of person that gives up when something gets difficult instead of asking for help.

I myself have DBC granted I havn't tried DBP just yet, but I would recommend using something like this instead of jumping head first into a programming language like c++, I learnt the hard way

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 09:28:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 09:28:13