Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Shooting, Sliding Collisions, undocumented Terrain and ODE commands

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2005 11:04 Edited at: 24th Nov 2005 11:55
ok, sorry for having more than one most in the same page, but no1 seems to be responding to my edits in the others, plus i have a lot more Qs, and my project is due soon:

0)pick object functionality
in 5.8, if camera is inside a sphere, pick returns that sphere..not so with other objects. n 5.9, it does so with other objects. which one is it supposed to do? im currently using pick for shooting

1) Shooting
for the first player shooting, which is faster, pick object or loop intersect object with all other entities / objects as the paramter. or should i "cast ray", havent yet looked at wither newton or ODE, so thats gonna take some time

2) Sliding Collisions, player height
so for sliding collision, should i just use intersect object to see if the map / terrain is within the players space? or should i use a physics engine? think once again, the cast ray method returns the object AND distance of the colliding object, hence cutting down the number of loops required.

3)Undocumented commands???
i have 5.8, and i noticed that i have advanced terrain and ODE commands. however, no help files, and no highlighted keywords.
im pretty sure its out there, just cant find them and i would really like them. need them actually... its the only way im learning DBP ... (the book i bought SUCKS. the db for beginners book. i learnt more by looking at the reference manual and coding myself)

k, i can hit newton for ray cast thingy, got the docs for it. but what about advanced terrain...

thanks loads

Try playing doom 3 on a laptop....
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2005 13:33 Edited at: 24th Nov 2005 13:35
0) I'm fairly sure it's supposed to do the latter, not picking the sphere, because it isn't actually on the screen. I'm sure if you invert the sphere however it will most likely return a value. I can't guarantee anything as I dont use pick object that much and dont have 5.9

1) Well I recommend intersection checks with the intersect object command like you've suggested. It's fast (assuming you know how to cancel out un-needed checks) and precise, it also doesn't require as much speed as say creating an object and moving it out at an insane pace of speed, and then checking for collision with that object.

<EDIT>

However, if this is a 2D game you're creating then pick object could become useful if you need to click with the mouse. I'd still use intersect object but it'd be interesting to see what pick object could handle, with possibly less lag.

2) Once again, intersect object is your friend. I say this however with the assumption that you dont have an engine, I haven't tried the new ODE but if it can handle collision I'd say its worth a try at using it. For me however, I use intersect object and it works perfectly for polygonal-sliding collision with minimal lag in a small amount of lines.

Deth Wish
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "intersect object command like you've suggested. It's fast "

i just discovered the object in screen() command, really speeds up checks... otherwise, pick was faster...

Quote: "assumption that you dont have an engine"

i have newton's installed, and i have a grasp of it...but redoing my crrent engine would be a bitch...want to know if its worth it

and still need to get the terrain commands... some1 please??

Try playing doom 3 on a laptop....

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 09:36:16
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 09:36:16