Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Liveupdate plugin for YOUR games

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2005 17:56
Thats right folks. Im working on a plugin that when complete, will mean that anybody who has webspace can run a live update system for their game.

At the moment the plugin allows you to download any single file off the internet. It also allows you to run the updater and it also allows for versions to be automatically checked so that the game does not download the same update twice. It even allows updated files to be executed.

I will be releasing a freeware version of this which allows for 10 actions to be done (i.e. 10 of either downloading, executing, making directorys) etc. or a combination.

I am planning to release a full version with no usage limits for about $10.

Would anybody be willing to pay that much for the liveupdate system and also are there any additional features that you feel might benefit the plugin.

WE SHALL BECOME ALL POWERFUL! CRUSH THE LESSER RACES! CONQUER THE GALAXY! UNIMAGINABLE POWER! UNLIMITED RICE PUDDING ! ! ! ETC. ! ! ! ETC.! ! !
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
will it be able to do dynamic plugins like on guild wars, the plugin dl's and installs while your playing, and you dont have to reboot the game or anything?

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2005 18:07
Only if I can implement it as threaded, which might be difficult but I will check it out. You will be able to update mid way through a game but it would mean a pause whilst it downloads.

WE SHALL BECOME ALL POWERFUL! CRUSH THE LESSER RACES! CONQUER THE GALAXY! UNIMAGINABLE POWER! UNLIMITED RICE PUDDING ! ! ! ETC. ! ! ! ETC.! ! !
David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2005 18:13
Will the plugin have to be called at a command-by-command basis, or can you just issue a LIVE UPDATE() command, that will take care of everything for you?

(instead of a CHECK FOR UPDATE() and DOWLOAD UPDATE() type thing)

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
already made something like that for my game, so its not actually "WOW - cool..."

but good that want to give it to everyone else to use..

BlueLightOnline Coming Soon. (95%)
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2005 18:34
At the moment you have two commands that allow you to download the latest update and check if an update is needed. They have a variety of return values which will be documented.

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2005 18:43
Something like this would work great if combined with my scripting plugin. Updating the .exe's of games can take a long time to download if you have a slow connection, but with the use of scripts that download time for the update would be almost instant!

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2005 18:49
What that actually means is that you would use the updater to download script files. Well it certainly can be used for that.

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 00:15
I have decided not to charge anything for the full version of this plugin. I will release it hopefully soon with a manual that explains how to use it.

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds like a good idea considering how basic it is most people wouldnt pay for it.

The admiral
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 02:37
Thats what I thought. I am also to amateur a plugin developer to create a plugin of a higher calibre at the moment, so I will work on improving my skill with not only the language c++ but the windows api too.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 03:09
make it have a progress bar and everything . i like games that update themselves, although sometimes they fook up and i have to manually patch it... but anyways good luck

gamesmad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 08:10
Sounds good, and $10 is fairly reasonable. I might even talk to my team about purchasing a copy of that for WW3:MC Good luck with the plugin

Will

Team leader of Games Mad! and 3D designer, modeller and animator for Cyrain Studios.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 10:20
Sounds good to me. On the payment side of things...$10 is nothing if you think about how much time it saves people. I would add a "contributions" Paypal button at the very least.

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 10:55
wow, i dont get it why so many people want to sell their stuff..
i mean, i know i wont buy stuff if it costs money.
thats why im trying to keep all my work open source and free

anyway, if i cant write my own then i will probably get this anyway

Zombie Hunter DBPro Open Source Project:
editor: 14% | survive mode: 30% | multiplayer: 0% | story mode: 0% | DEMO: 18%
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 13:02
*clings onto quote*

Quote: "I have decided not to charge anything for the full version of this plugin."

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 15:27
Yes, people READ! I have decided not to charge anything for this plugin.

It will however be slightly complex to use. I will document it as best I can and post it in program announcements.

@Batvink

Yea I will have a donate button on my website.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 15:47
Quote: "i mean, i know i wont buy stuff if it costs money."

Quote: "if i cant write my own then i will probably get this anyway "

That's my point. What's $10 if it saves you 10 hours?

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 17:58
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=65711&b=5

Let this thread die now. I have released the plugin on program announcements.

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2005 17:08 Edited at: 26th Nov 2005 17:09
-Ignore, and sorry for bumping. This post was submitted accidentally because FF messed up-

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 10:38:04
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 10:38:04