Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / 2d Gravity Simulator Program

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
For my science project I have decided to write a gravity simulator program in 2d. I will simulate the acceleration of gravity on all nine planets (and the earth's moon). The user will be able to choose the height on the planet from which the object falls. The height must not be out of range from the planet's pull of gravity. When the object hits the ground the impact will be calculated by the program as well. Wish me luck because today is Saturday and I have to have the program done by Sunday with a trifold board, and all my data and whatnot.

Legendary>Heroic>Normal>Easy
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2005 14:41 Edited at: 26th Nov 2005 14:41
you're new here huh?

Please read the rules of this board. (sticky thread)
Screenshots and some progress are needed before posting here.

Immunity and Annihalation makes Immunihalation...
Delfir
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2005 14:50 Edited at: 26th Nov 2005 14:51
Quote: "you're new here huh?"

Uh, no, are you? I've been here for quite some time. Not like it matters about the whole "progress" and "screenshots" thing because the program is going to be finished in 2 days unless I want an F on this huge project. If your not going to comment don't post on this thread just to tell me what to do. You're not a mod, don't act like one.

Edit: And I can't post screenies because I don't have a site to put them on.

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
this thread will be looked soon if u wont show ANY progress here..

BlueLightOnline Coming Soon. (95%)
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2005 15:02
Quote: "Edit: And I can't post screenies because I don't have a site to put them on."

This prooves again that you didn't read the rules:

Quote from the rules:
Quote: "
Screenshots
Do you have any screen shots of your game, these can be obtained pretty easily, just press Prt Scrn (to the left of F12) go to Paint, then Edit>Paste, and save your image, then go to http://www.photobucket.com or any other hosting site and follow the available instructions. Remember pictures speak a thousand words, and alot of people will find it easier to judge your game if you've got a couple of pictures of what it looks like in action.
"

Quote: "If your not going to comment don't post on this thread just to tell me what to do."

How can I post my opinion on this? I have nothing to refer to.

Quote: "You're not a mod, don't act like one."

No I'm not a mode. But a mod did make the rules about this board.

Quote from the rules:
Quote: "
Where's My Game?
W.I.P is work in progress, and surely, even after just 5 minutes of planning, you could say a game was, work in progress. You can't however, expect people to go crazy over your game if you've only got a storyline and a name for the main character. Work on your game, wait until you've got something to show then BAM!!! post a thread about your game, showing all the work you've put into it and all the different parts that your busily working on and people will think, "Hey, this persons, done a lot of work on this game and I can see that there serious about wanting to finish it, I'll give them some encouragement and let them know how good they're doing."
"

Delfir
Years of Service
User Offline
Fine, now I have a reason to start instead of procrastinating my homework (like I always do). I just found this great site called photobucket to post my progress pics too.

Delfir
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, I apologize. Mods, please don't lock this because I'm about to post some screenies once I finish the title screen and the planet selection screen

Delfir
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2005 15:33 Edited at: 26th Nov 2005 15:34
Progress. Here's a screenshot of the title screen/ planet selection screen. It's not much, but I need something to keep this thread up whilst I code.

[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/d89/xXJailBreakXx/?action=view¤t=titlepage.jpg[/img]

Edit: Why does the pic appear as a red x on my computer?

Delfir
Years of Service
User Offline
I added my own mouse. I think it might be too big. What do you all think?

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2005 16:00 Edited at: 26th Nov 2005 16:01
Quote: "The height must not be out of range from the planet's pull of gravity"

And what would that be?
The moon is 1/4 million miles from the Earth but is still trapped by earths gravity.
The Earth is 98 million miles from the sun but still trapped by the suns gravity.
Pluto is ....
I don't think I need to go on. The fact is gravity has a HUGE reach. Possibly (and I open myself up to critisism here) infinite.

I found this quote online
Quote: "Two bodies of matter attract each other proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of distance between them."

Because no bodies can have zero mass. I take it by that, that gravity is infact infinte. Although, it will become weaker with distance up to a point where other local gravities will effectively cancel it out.

Great Britain would be Amazing Britain if it wasn't for idiots like you bringing down the average!
Delfir
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2005 16:16 Edited at: 26th Nov 2005 16:18
Quick question. What would the surface of mercury look like. I'm trying to design my own cartoonish version of it.

Edit: Ok, scraggle, when I said "out of range" I meant when the acceleration of gravity on that planet dramatically goes down.

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2005 16:18
it's kinda dark grey, and full of craters

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2005 16:56
Try google
keywords: "planet mercury"

Delfir
Years of Service
User Offline
ok, I need help. how come when I type the code

input "please choose desired height(in meters)",height

the screen is blue and the words are not on the screen?

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2005 17:16
This is the work in progress thread and you have just asked a very simple question ... you really ought to stay in the Newcomers Corner where perhaps you will get the help you need.

Great Britain would be Amazing Britain if it wasn't for idiots like you bringing down the average!
Delfir
Years of Service
User Offline
I take it you don't know the answer...?

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2005 17:21
Take it however you like.
But if you ask in the correct place I will answer you.

Delfir
Years of Service
User Offline
I figured it out. I cannot mix text with sprites. So, in order to get that up on the screen, I had to delete all the sprites. Scraggle, thanks for all your help!

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2005 17:27 Edited at: 26th Nov 2005 17:28
lolar. so you are going with this advanced rocked sience project and you dont even know how to use the sync commmand
edit,
nvm, didn't relize you were using sprites.

Zombie Hunter DBPro Open Source Project:
editor: 14% | survive mode: 30% | multiplayer: 0% | story mode: 0% | DEMO: 18%
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2005 17:32 Edited at: 26th Nov 2005 17:33
Quote: "Scraggle, thanks for all your help!"

My Pleasure

Perhaps now you would like to RTFR.

This is a Work In Progress area, set aside to show off near complete projects. What you have is an idea, but no idea how to impliment it. If you need help you should ask in the Newcomers Corner, where myself, and many others will be only too glad to help.

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2005 19:43 Edited at: 26th Nov 2005 19:43
Quote: "So, in order to get that up on the screen, I had to delete all the sprites. Scraggle"

Just do set sprite <sprite>,1,1 on each sprite, and the blue backdrop won't appear

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
@David R: set sprite Sprite,0,1
on ONE sprite only, and the blue screen will disappear for all the sprites..

BlueLightOnline Coming Soon. (95%)
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2005 22:08
Orrrr use color backdrop 0

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2005 22:15
Quote: "set sprite Sprite,0,1
on ONE sprite only, and the blue screen will disappear for all the sprites..
"

0 messes up the backsave buffer usually. Causes an eventual FPS hit

Quote: "Orrrr use color backdrop 0"

If the sprites aren't 'set' then the backdrop simply switches itself back on after the sync command.

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2005 20:53
This reminds me to a DBC-thread: "Gravitational pull for cyberplanets". I posted there the very basics for gravitation:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=53702&b=10&p=0

Or for ease, the code:

Remember, these are the very basics. It just might... you know... help

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2005 21:36
@Delfir - You are *very* close to getting a locked thread here because of your attitude. This really should have been a series of questions in the Newcomer forum, like Scraggle suggested.

Delfir
Years of Service
User Offline
I finished the simulator yesterday. I unfortunately do not have a website to upload it to at the moment. If anyone would like me to email it to them so that they could test it, I would be more than willing to send it with the source code. The file size is 1.5 MB.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2005 05:09
just attach it to the forums and stop making excuses is it that hard to miss the attach upto 10meg bit under the reply box?

Delfir
Years of Service
User Offline
how do I attach it to the forums? I can't do a code snippet because there is media involved.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2005 05:22
you move your mouse cursor down the y axis untill it is over the bounds of the Browse button upon mouseclick/release it will popup a filebrowser where you find the path to your code/game and then click ok and post.

Delfir
Years of Service
User Offline
oh wow. That's utterly and completely amazing. Thanks D_C. Ok ppl, someone should try out my program

Don't take life to seriously... no one gets out alive.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mucky Muck Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2005 07:21
Well..that was exciting lol. Somehow I dont' think that soundtrack really fits watching some numbers change. From the names of the media and the music I was expecting a game where u use grappling hooks to swing planets into UFO's that shoot at you with blasters. Hey...thats a good idea! If i wasn't working on Azara i would go make that now lol.
On a more serious note, there are some problems, for example, mercury is the only planet that works, and when you get to a height that is less than your speed, you stop. For example I froze at 161 feet above mercury cuz I was going 200 somethin. It will probly impress your teacher tho lol

Im sick of Master Chief soo...ooga booga!!
Explain to me why some people pay money for 3d software? Its not 3d till its been blended. wwww.blender3d.org
Delfir
Years of Service
User Offline
yes, that seems to be a problem. It will not allow your height to be anywhere below zero, so if your speed per second is higher than your height, it stops there. I have no idea how to fix it and don't plan on fixing it. It's just for school, and school is something I am forced to attend by the government. No more of my time will be put into this, I should get a good grade for it anyway. But hey, thanks for downloading it, AND putting your time in to comment on it.

Don't take life too seriously... no one gets out alive.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 10:31:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 10:31:45