Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Serial Code Protection for your games

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2005 22:01 Edited at: 27th Nov 2005 22:04
I am working hard to complete a new plugin which will give you the power to protect your applications using serial codes. The serial code system is common in many games and programs. It includes a dialog where you must type the correct serial code to be able to use the program
Here is an example:-

These are some codes generated by the generator. Notice how just changing one character in the name yields a totally different code!.

Each persons EXE is different. When you have the plugin, you use 4 keys to generate codes. Generally 3 of these will be specific to your application and the 4th may be the name of your customer.

The plugin also has the ability to produce a CRC32 checksum string from a file. This is useful for file verification.

This plugin wont be free however. I am thinking of releasing 2 versions. The standard and personalised editions. The difference is that the personalised edition has a totally different generation rule for the codes, and no two personalised plugins will be the same.
Here are the price I am thinking:-

Standard - $15
Personalised - $20

The personalised edition is more secure.

There will be more features in this plugin by the time I release it. If you have any ideas for features then please post them and I will check out how feasible they are to add.

WE SHALL BECOME ALL POWERFUL! CRUSH THE LESSER RACES! CONQUER THE GALAXY! UNIMAGINABLE POWER! UNLIMITED RICE PUDDING ! ! ! ETC. ! ! ! ETC.! ! !
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2005 22:04 Edited at: 27th Nov 2005 22:04
OOPS DOUBLE POST

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I definatly will think about buying this... You're releasing so many good apps goddamnit!

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2005 22:04 Edited at: 27th Nov 2005 22:06
deja vu.

It goes without saying that purchasers will be entitled to updates as they happen.

WE SHALL BECOME ALL POWERFUL! CRUSH THE LESSER RACES! CONQUER THE GALAXY! UNIMAGINABLE POWER! UNLIMITED RICE PUDDING ! ! ! ETC. ! ! ! ETC.! ! !
gamesmad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2005 21:53
Sounding very nice, is $15 a little steep though, might just be me...

Will

Team leader of Games Mad! and 3D designer, modeller and animator for Cyrain Studios.
Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2005 22:30
hmm... tell me how would each customer's exe be different?
Like is it basically a password encrypted exe?

We will take over the world!
Let our reign begin, CHARGE BUSH BABIES!
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
is that MS-Dos or C++?

BlueLightOnline Coming Soon. (95%)
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2005 23:54
thats C++ running an Dos window on XP. Thats just a test application.
Im not going to describe how the personalised binarys would be different, but rest assured that they will generate COMPLETELY different codes.

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2005 23:57
Quote: " Sounding very nice, is $15 a little steep though, might just be me..."

Well if your in England then $15 is what? £8-£9 at the most which is something like the cost of a cheap DVD. I dont think that the price is very unreasonable, especially once it has the extra features im planning.

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2005 00:23 Edited at: 29th Nov 2005 00:24
Can you release an example crackme app with your plugin? It'd be a fun challenge to have a go at how powerful the encryption is.

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2005 00:33
Well I dont nessecarily want to do that at the moment, im trying to improve the protection in the application itself, so I dont want to leave it open for cracking.

jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2005 00:48
one problem... what if too people had the same name

Deathquest: 60% (MMORPG)
DD Studios Website: http://www.geocities.com/jasonhtml/
DD Studios Forum: http://s6.invisionfree.com/DD_Studios_Forum
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2005 01:09
What do you think the likelyhood of this is?

All you need to do is, if you have a sign up site is say "Sorry that person is already registered" and make them choose a different name.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2005 05:36
And what would it matter if two people had the same EXE file? If there are 3 John Smiths who registered your product, and they each have the exact same EXE, it's not really a big deal is it?

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2005 05:53
The randomness of your generated keys in the picture up top looks really good, and it's 64-bit protection. If the source uses something like branching (if you know what I mean?) then I think your protection will be really tough if someone were to try and crack it.

If you know assembler pretty well I should show you this one method my friend used for serial protection.

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2005 15:55
Here are some example codes that I prepared...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mr Crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
I found a flaw. Someone could just copy the exe to someone elses computer and type in the registration code...

Life, the Universe and Everything
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2005 21:53
Or offer it for download along with the code?

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
gamesmad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2005 22:24
Peter_ has a point there...

Will

Team leader of Games Mad! and 3D designer, modeller and animator for Cyrain Studios.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2005 22:27
Well no kidding you could do that. There isn't a fool-proof copy protection plan. But who's going to pay for a product then stick it to download on a site? Unfortunately there's no way around it, unless the software "binds" itself to the serial number of your computer's hard drive. But then the real software purchaser would have to re-register if he/she upgrades the hard drive.

Sillybear
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2005 23:10
could use a Random Code that goes into windows Reg that they have to submit to so they have to use the Name and Code to get a Reg code

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 04:33
Im also working on two way encryption

This is what I have so far. See if you can find any flaws with it(even though I have no intention of leaving it in its present state).

See if you can work out what it is.

Oh by the way, it took around 14 and a half seconds to encrypt this file, this includes reading and writing.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Gen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 05:43
Looking good.

Quote: "See if you can work out what it is."

I couldn't

DARK IDE RETURNS - Yes Dark IDE is still a go!!
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 21:59
This is great, Mnemonix. Is this going to be a DB only thing, or will there be a way to use with programs written in other languages (all I personally care about is C++)?

I'm going to eat you!
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 23:29
Well I suppose there is the possibility of releasing a dll for c++. Im not sure how this differs from DBP at this point, but its something I will look into

aristid
Years of Service
User Offline
use buyers email, they wouldnt want to spread that so easily..

aristides.
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 20:37
thats a good idea, but thats up to the particular client who is using the plugin.

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 05:44
Sounds great Andy 20 bucks is cheap too

Join Our Forums and get game updates faster!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 10:28:01
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 10:28:01