Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / advice about using 3D modeler

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello.
I would like to get an advice on wich 3D modeler should I use in order to make the whole sceletal animations and save them as a sinle file. I mean something like monster_attack.3ds, monster_run.x or maybe monster_die.md/mdl. Those I use in DB Pro. I\'m not really interested in saving a fil for every animation frame. I would really apreciate if it would be an advice concerning free or at least cheap 3 modelers.
Should it be following(can the they create scenes just in one file):

Blender,
Anim8or,
trueSpace (free and old one),
ppModeler,
qME Lite editor,
-
Milkshape 3D,
qME,
-
others?

Can you please tell me something about advantages of every modeler, you mean can be a candidate here?
Thank you very much.
Silent Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2005 22:34
hmm i dont know, but maybe this should be under 3d design

Only when the last tree is cut, the last river is dammed, and the last spot of ground is paved will we realize we can't eat money
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " hmm i dont know, but maybe this should be under 3d design"

Ya...

I use DeleD Lite for non-animated stuffs. It is free and it is a really good modeler.
I am trying to make animated stuffs with Anim8or, but I don't know how to export the animations. When I am in the figure editor, and I export it to .3ds, it isn't animated...

Nul error
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2005 23:57 Edited at: 30th Nov 2005 00:00
Try to make em with as little poly usuage as you can. Anyone can make a 70k+ high detailed model that looks good but it takes a special talent to get it to 2k or less and make it look good still.

oh yah I perfer lightwave with the .x export plugin.
cheap ones are not that good but helps to have a friend in the cad field that wants to try to a new program but gets frustrated and gives you the program .
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 00:12
Well if you'r getting into gaming seriously and you know that you'll be modeling quite a bit you should skip the freebies and get the quality programs, it saves you a lot of time and stress and givs a better quality model in the end usually. My library consists of:

Modelers:

Wings 3D
3ds Max
Cartography Shop

Textures:

Adobe Photoshop
Corel Draw
Lithunwrap

Converter:

Deep Exploration (excellent)

3ds.max can handle animating, exporting, and uv mapping. It saves the animations into the file like you're asking for and is easy to use after about a week's work of hard training.

Dodic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 01:06
hm... 3d moddeling is my job , i bought max 6 for a few tousand $ so i don`t recommend that , you could use BLENDER or G-MAX.

http://dodica.proboards75.com/index.cgi
first 20 are mods. i have 9 sofar.
Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 02:14 Edited at: 30th Nov 2005 02:16
One way I did it was to demo each program to find the interface that I was most comfortable with...

Just like in Nul Errors post where his friend didn't like the program and gave it away, I feel that I am most proficient working with the tools (interface) I am familiar with...

As for low cost modelers, Milkshape will give you quake II quality models with animations, however the animation bone process via milkshape is cumbersome to me...

Currently using:

Gmax & Milkshape (depending on what I want to accomplish, milkshape converts to x format with animations)

DeleD (for basic building shapes, cutting doors & windows pretty simple vs Milkshape)

Photoshop (textures)

Lithunwrap (unwrapping models)
Dr PACMAN
Years of Service
User Offline
Thaks a lot, guys.
If I understood you right, Milkshape is the choice of the year when it comes to save a whole animation in a single file (.x, .3ds, .md/.mdl)? Is it right? And sorry I'll post my 3D related questions in a 3D section next time.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 09:35:02
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 09:35:02