Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Need advice; would you buy DB for....

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

My son is 14, and loves computer games, mainly Counterstrike, WoW, and WC3.

I am thinking of getting him DB professional for Christmas, to see if I can light a fire, maybe getting him interested in programming, game development, etc.

He hasn't had any programming, but is sharp and doesn't seem to have a problem absorbing his school lessons.

I don't know if he would really use this program, and it would sit on a shelf; however, to those who have used DB pro, what are your thoughts on a 14 y/o game lover and DB pro? Is it too advanced? Does it have a learning curve so steep that it would be useless or turn off someone from programming?

Thanks in advance,

ml
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 13:24
We certainly have programmers younger than 14 on these forums using it, and despite its name, DBPro is easy to learn.

For free Plug-ins and source code http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 14:31
It's as easy to learn as any language like French or Spanish, so the term 'easy to learn' is relative. Your son has youth on his side, so he shouldn't find it that difficult to learn.

The 'B' in DBPro is for BASIC which is probably the easiest form of programming as most of it is much like English. Compared to some programming languages it's also fairly free of hieroglyphics.

Being BASIC, it has all the common BASIC commands for simple text stuff, as well as graphics commands for 2D. But it also has the advanced commands to access the 3D world of DirectX9 amking it capable of things you can only dream of in most versions of BASIC.

However, it's not a 'Drag and Drop' programming language and you have to put the effort in and start small.

Writing a program like Counterstrike is possible in DBP, but I think it's fair to say that someone with years of experience in DBP would find writing it a daunting (if not near impossible) task.

At first, I'm sure he will have lots of fun just creating a box in 3D and getting it to move around with the keyboard.

If you are curious to see what programs in DB look like, then have a look at some of my tutorials for complete beginners by checking out my web site (link in my sig at the bottom of this post).

TDK_Man

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 15:53
My son is 8 and I'm working on getting him to use DarkBasic Pro. These days, they learn about programming at school, albeit in a very diluted way. At 8, my son has been programming a "turtle" at school this term, giving the robot directional commands. So he already understands entering commands and sequential coding techniques.

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 17:54
Like TDK said, instead it's easier than French or Spanish

I'm 14 and I have a ball using DBPro, it's quite simple, though very flexible, and you can make pretty much anything you want with it, I'm sure being the same age as your son I would have similar views, so I recommend you get it for him

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 18:12
14 year olds can definitely grasp programming concepts, it's just if they're intersted in it. Maybe an idea would be to show him a free engine to see if he likes the idea of programming, I have a good recommendation;

I started programming at 10 years old with BYOND (Build Your Own Net Dream). it's free, easy to use, excellent forum support, a chat channel for further help, and pleanty of tutorials, snippets and hints for newcommers.

Not only that, but the BYOND engine comes with a free icon editor/creator/animator, a file browser for easy file access, ability for literally hundreds of source files and .dll's, an easy to learn command set, and possibly the best feature of all; a ginormous free server allowing you to make your games go online and have other players join into the game at the click of a button, furthermore you can have multiple games, and everytime you host your game it's posted on BYOND's site as Live allowing other players to connect to the game.

Even more so, BYOND allows you to publish your game when you're done with it and submit it to byond.com, if it passes the very minimal tests it gets posted on their site for other people to host.

Other features include the option of subscription purposes using PayPal, allowing people to send money for upgrades in the game or other add-ons of your choice, and an amazing free Map Editor that shows all of your current icons to the left and allows you to basically drag-and drop them wherever you want, aswell as set their properties afterwards.

As you may have guessed BYOND is only 2D unless you're a masterof trig and can create some basic 3d games as some have done, but the command set is very simple, for example collision in Dark Basic (stopping two images from hitting eachpther like a player and a wall) can sometimes take up to 5 or more lines, in BYOND it's one little phrase:

density = 1

And you're set, the same goes with adding lighting effects to the object, transparancy, and more.

I deeply recommend looking into BYOND to see if your son is interested, I was hooked the moment I began but I've moved onto DBP now, though I still go back sometimes to see old friends on their games.

Linkage:

http://www.byond.com

With all these capabilities, after a month of practise you could literally make a full blown RPG with online play and chat, weapons, armour, monsters, quests and more in a day of hardwork.

Hope its been of some help, goodluck.

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 19:06
Maybe the free DBPro trial?

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 19:31 Edited at: 30th Nov 2005 19:32
I started using DBPro at the age of 14, but i had used QBasic for a few years before that... (whatever you do, don't get QBasic for him )

His learning it depends on how much he enjoys programming, and DBPro is one of the best languages to use to find out if he does or not. (Easy enough to not put most people off in the beginning, but advanced enough to allow them to make games that are actually enjoyable when they learn how to use it better.)

Quote: "Maybe the free DBPro trial?"

that might not be quite as impressive of a christmas present...

"Hey! guess what? i got you a FREE trial!"

but i guess you could always say something like "here try this and if you like it i'll buy it for you... if not i'll buy you a can of tuna!"

--Peter

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 21:26
Quote: ""here try this and if you like it i'll buy it for you... if not i'll buy you a can of tuna"

That's what I ment lol

Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 21:27 Edited at: 30th Nov 2005 21:28
You should just download the Darkbasic Pro trial and program yourself. If he sees how much you're interested in it... he may want to try it himself. If he likes it... get it.

Loving to play games isn't the same thing as loving to program them.
super skull
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 22:27
im that age and i love this program
Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 03:09
I'm younger, 12 . Its a very good programming language and easier then other programming languages i've heard at least. But yeh u should let him try the trial and get some things from the codebase to see what it can do. Thats what i did except i had dbc at the time.

NARUTO IS THE NINJA.....not really
DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 03:44
yah i think he would like it im 12 and i started at 11 it is fun and a good learning experiance!

ATI mobility radeon X600 graphics card
AMD 64 Bit processor
mjjlamb
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks to all for the replies. I will be getting DB Pro.

It is also refreshing to post a noob question on a forum, and not get the verbal cuts and slashes that usually occur with other forums.

Thanks again, and have a Merry Christmas,

Mike
Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2005 03:26
That has been the way this forum usually works and the reason I bought Dark Basic and then Dark Basic Pro. DarkBasic is not the only program out there but it has the best forum and most helpful users of any forum I have come across.

As long as you are civil and respectful, you will receive the same in return.

I also hope he enjoys programming and joins the forum here.

In Memory of My Dad.
I miss you very much.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 09:29:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 09:29:08