Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Recycling Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 04:16 Edited at: 1st Dec 2005 04:46
Hello,
Before you say anything about this project, please note that I have slapped it together, and was intendend for a school project. It is only a game about collecting trash through puzzles and other stuff. The main character model was created by Drew Cameron, I received permission from him to use it. Another thing, all ground textures will be changed, please don't comment them. Thank you.

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

Screenshot 3

Screenshot 4

Thank you for viewing this thread. If you have a better name and ideas for textures, please post.

Drew G

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 04:28
You shouldn't be so negative about your wip. The screens look fine for how early it is, and the concept is kind of interesting (I assume the project has to have something to do with recycling or global protection or something?). Could you post some more info on the game? Your description wasn't very, well, descriptive.

Hope this turns out well.

And I have a name... Rudolf the Recycler.

Check the WIP board for updates on Block Verse
Mucky Muck Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 04:36
Lol thats a pretty original game I think my favorite are the little arcade games (like that) that you get addicted to. This sounds like something I could play for a while lol. Ill be looking forward to a demo!

Im sick of Master Chief soo...ooga booga!!
Explain to me why some people pay money for 3d software? Its not 3d till its been blended. wwww.blender3d.org
DrewG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 04:41 Edited at: 1st Dec 2005 04:48
More Information!

Okay, primarily, you control your character with several keys, and go around collecting trash. Right now I have posted a few spheres, just for now, later they will be replaced with cans and stuff similar like that. I am just about finished with level one, I just need to change the models and textures. The menu is in an early stage, primarily just up down key movement, not much yet. The first level is easy and basic. A small little challenge. The second level I planned on adding in AI and make it pure stealth, lets say, you run behind the crates, wait for the guard to pass, then continue on. There will be several crates and obstacles to hide behind.

I do not have a story yet but will post one soon, anyone have ideas?

Thanks for the postive comments!

Edit: I will post up a demo for the first two levels. The collision is buggy- it works, I mean, it is only buggy since it isn't sliding collision yet .

Edit Again: FYI - The program is around 800 lines of code. That's everything, not a world builder and such.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 05:00
Story Idea
Rudolf littered his entire life. He dumped garbage everywhere, and eventually managed to fill his entire apartment with so much garbage he couldn't move. His solution was to get a giant plastic bag and put his three tons of garbage in it and dump it in the middle of the street. The very next morning the world police arrested him for endangering global welfare and possibly breeding multiple new strands of bacteria unintentionally. After serving a year of his life time sentence, he faces the world court and claims he's changed his ways. They decide to grant him his freedom, on the condition that he infiltrate Garbage City and clean the place up single handedly. Rudolf accepts, having no other options but a lifetime in jail. He is given a magical recycling bag, and is sent off to Garbage City...

Eventually Rudolf faces the Garbage King, and has to collect all the garbage that falls off him or something to win. Then he is a hero and Dumbo & Cool come and congratulate him and give him an awesome medal shaped like a recycling sign.

DrewG
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Bizar Guy

Nice nice, I like that story. I will change one or two names, but everything else I'm using. Thank you.

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 05:16
Recycle, reduce, and reuse! Looking great for that short amount of time. How's the teacher enjoying the progress?

DrewG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 05:21 Edited at: 1st Dec 2005 06:14
Quote: "Teacher: "Doing well" "

He said he's very optimistic about this idea and project.

The screens above are about one week and a half of work.

Edit More : I just finished up the menu screen. Now I need to program it to work properly. Still determing what colors to use....

Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2005 22:59
Heh I have a white back splash for my menu

Bush babies are funny little hermits disquised as rats.
the Last Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 01:01 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2005 06:19
Hi,

Hey, this looks like a great project.

Quote: "The collision is buggy- it works, I mean, it is only buggy since it isn't sliding collision yet"

If your looking for code on sliding collision then look no further that my own function: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=60567&b=6. That function can handle your sliding collision for you very well.

I have a good feeling about this project so don't give up.

good luck

www.fishbrosentertainment.com
DrewG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 05:27 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2005 05:32
Thanks The Last Programmer

I'm looking at it right now,

BTW - I just am almost finished up with my main menu, it looks spectacular. I composed my own music yesturday, and will be the main menu music. It's more of a zany type style theme. I asked several people if it sounded okay before I put it in.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

EDIT : Sorry Bizar Guy, I changed the name from Rudolp to Rambo, so it's

Rambo the Recycler
Ha Ha, I may change it.

Thanks for the idea though of names.

EDIT AGAIN: Sorry The Last Programmer, I can't use your code. You see, I thought globals were for DBPRO only, and since I have access to only DBC on this project, I will be unable to use it. It looks nice, just I am not sure if it can be converted . Thanks though, I will continue looking....

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 05:43
The sliding collision example in the help menu is your friend...

And the name can be whatever you want, I was just thinking something up on the spot.

DrewG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 05:51 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2005 05:59
@ Bizar
Thanks for where to find it .

BTW - Thanks for the idea of Rudolph, that's where I got the name Rambo from

YAY - I just search the code base and found a superb example of sliding collision. Thanks everyone for all effots.

DrewG
Years of Service
User Offline
UPDATES

Okay, just a list that needs to be finished before a demo can be released...

Menu needs to be finished programmed
Level 2 map needs to be finished
Level 1 textures need to be changed
Program tutorial system in
Intro movie needs to be programmed
Level 2 AI needs programming
Ending scene

That's a small list, there is a little more, but that is the bulk of it. I should have a demo out in about a weeks time or so. Probably shorter...

Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2005 01:15
Wow someone is useing my textures
Nice work

[/center]
DrewG
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Jack

Hey thanks, yeah, when this gets done, you deserve credit for em.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 10:32:15
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 10:32:15