Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Into The Darkness - Create and Play Your Own Dungeon

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 06:42
Hi,

I've been working at this for a couple weeks and feel it's time to share it.

This game will allow you to create your own dungeon using a 2-D editor. Then you get to play that dungeon complete with creatures and items that you want!

But why should you only play your own created levels? This game will let you save your level in a text file and share it with your friends!

Here's some screens:

Is anybody interested in playing a game like this?

www.fishbrosentertainment.com
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 06:53 Edited at: 1st Dec 2005 06:53
I think it's the start of something potentially very cool. I would expand it to include other game playing elements suitable for a full game.

However, in the state that you described it, it seems a bit like FPSC without the 3D editor. You can create your level, fill it with the monsters, and share it with your friends. Other than that, there's not much variation. In that sense, FPSC has no value for me.

Good luck with it. Like I said, I see a lot of potential in it.

the Last Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 08:19
Hi,

Here is an executable. It has a full working editor with a wall, floor, and an enemy.

You can also play your level. Except the enemy isn't working yet, this demo will give you an idea for the level editor and the dungeon like atmosphere of playing the level you build.

I use the ODE physics engine to code the movement of the camera. The problem is that the camera slides around. I'm going to change that soon enough (the friction is set at 5000 and it still slides around!).

Mostly, I would like feedback on the usability of the level editor. Was it intuitive? frustrating? not working? I'm not going to give you any hints at how to use it just to see if the interface is self-explanatory.

Included with the executables are some levels that I designed myself. You may load them and save over them as you wish.

Quote: "in the state that you described it, it seems a bit like FPSC without the 3D editor."

I want to do exactly that, create my own FPSC in a fraction of the time it took TGC. It won't have any bells or whistles attached to it but it would work and be free.

I hope you all enjoy this demo.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 08:43
I played with the demo you uploaded. This has a lot of potential and works smoothly when you're playing a map. You're right about the sliding, slow that down a little bit for the character movement and you'll be all set.

Two other suggestions, put the program in a window instead of full screen (maybe an option to change between modes?), and maybe a file list when loading a map incase myself or others forget the map name.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 16:29 Edited at: 1st Dec 2005 16:30
lol, it's fun to fall into space, the camera tilted at an angle

the level editor was intuitive enough, although selecting what kind of thing you want to "draw" with (empty, wall, dirt, playerstart...etc) is a bit tedious, it might be nice if we didn't have to click on the level button everytime we wanted to change our drawing thing (maybe have a list of them to the right that you can click on?)

anyway, i would recommend using this function to load files (and save if you want) it basically opens up one of those windows open file things (except with whatever text on it you want, so it could be "save your file" or "select a file to load"...) and returns the full filepath (including the file) that the user chose...

it's hard to explain... just try it out... (three functions, the first uses the other two)

--Peter

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
the Last Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2005 21:54
Hi,

I updated the textures for the walls and floor. I also updated the collision code so there is no sliding. I don't have any download for you, but here are some screen shots:

Thanks.

the Last Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 01:12
Hi,

Here's some more screen shots. I have been experimenting with the textures.

Thanks for viewing.

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 16:08
Actually, it all kinda looks the same...

Immunity and Annihalation makes Immunihalation...
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 16:44
you know what would be cool, but kinda hard - having it as sort of a multiplayer deal simular to d&d (simular != same) where one of you gets to be the dungeon master. You get to choose a map you have made and DM while 2-3 other players play through it. At the end it swaps and next player becomes the DM?

Not a refined thought, there are probably other takes on it. Just a thought

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 19:21 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2005 19:22
Forum double posted sorry! Looks good!

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 19:21
Sounds like a good idea. The winner becomes the DM perhaps; the first one to the end?

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
the Last Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 22:13
Hi,

Well that sounds kinda like "Deception" for the playstation, where the player is the castle master and sets off traps for the invaders. It's a good idea, but I didn't want to get into multiplayer until later, when it might be more effective.

Quote: "Actually, it all kinda looks the same..."

It does in those pictures, but not in the game. I guess I'll post a demo later, maybe with a creature.

thanks everybody

WarGoat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 02:20
Hey, it's looking quite good. Like Sephnroth and Andrew said, you should make a multyplayer option, but why not something like, the DM control everything like if the player encounter a monster, some trap, treasure that he can have, etc... But I think it's harder than just multyplayer.

Windows XP,pentium IV, 1,9 MGZ, 768 mb memory, 128 mb video card ATI Radeon 9200 se s80 'sett squadron back on the assault'

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 10:35:54
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 10:35:54