Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / {Un-named} Top-Down Racer

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 12:57 Edited at: 1st Dec 2005 16:15
I have been away for a couple of days and I forgot to take my a working copy of Roughnecks with me. So, I started a new project.

Before you start, yes, I know it is only 2 days work so, not much of a Work In Progress but I need feedback. I'm not sure if I have gone about it in a very efficiant way.
It runs fine on my machine but I could do with some feedback from lower spec'd machines.

When you run it, pressing space will alternate between 60fps and as fast as it can. Please let me know what result you get - thanks.

Up = Accelerate
Down = Brake / Reverse
Left = Turn Left
Right = Turn Right

There is no collision detection of any kind yet and you can (if you wish) drive off into DBP's blue ether. I am posting at such an early stage because I want to know if it is worth continuing in the way I have or if I need to revamp my screen drawing technique.

Thanks

Great Britain would be Amazing Britain if it wasn't for idiots like you bringing down the average!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 14:21
About time we had a topdown racer!

Normal mode = 64fps, fast mode = around 240fps

Looking good! I like the different graphic layers - nice use of alpha pngs. Bit surprised you have gone for two huge png files - I think some older graphics cards will not cope with images 2000*2000 pixels. Much better off doing some of tiling, but that needs a lot of planning and seamless stuff. At least your way you can draw what you like anywhere.

My desktop pc specs;
AMD Athlon XP 2000+
512MB
MSI GeForce4 Ti4600 (128MB)
XP Home SP2

Boo!
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2005 01:08
Thanks Spooky.

Quote: "Bit surprised you have gone for two huge png files "

I tried that method because it is by far the easiest from a coding point of view. That's why I would like people to test it on low spec machines and see if it runs ok. If it doesn't then I will have to change my method. That was the whole point of this post.
Unfortunately you are the only person that has bothered to try it so far and you PC isn't particularly low spec.

Thanks anyway

Great Britain would be Amazing Britain if it wasn't for idiots like you bringing down the average!
French gui
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2005 13:06 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2005 13:07
I've tried it, it's good! I get 64 fps and 203 fps in fast mode. I just think the car is a bit too slippery. I'd like to play it once finished but don't forget Roughnecks!!!

[edit] oh, my specs are intel 2.1 ghz, 256 Mo Ram and ATI Radeon 9000 128 Mo video card.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 16:41 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2005 16:41
Thanks French GUI.

Don't worry ... Roughnecks will definately not be forgotten about. I am back on it now in fact. I just had a couple of days where I couldn't work on it, that's why I started the racer.
This project is now on hold for a week or so, until Roughnecks is finished

Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 15:03
Scraggle.

These specs are with me running a secondary application (web browser) in the background.
I get 63 to 66 FPS
Fast mode runs from 79 to 99 depending on the amount of detail on the top layer and if the car has to turn. It did dip down to 67 when the top layer was very think during a turn but it was not noticable on screen.

Specs
AMD Athlon XP 1800+
512 MB of Ram
NVidia GeForce FX 5500
XP Home SP2 with all updates

I know my vid card sucks and need a new processor.
Maybe Santa will be good to me this year (but I doubt it).

In Memory of My Dad.
I miss you very much.
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2005 09:13
hey, scraggle, i don't want to encourage you,
since i want roughnecks so much, BUT:
on my crappy pc with built-in graphics card,
256mb ram, 2.8ghz celeron processor,
i get ~22 fps either way...it's enough to make it work...
i'd say don't worry about the big png's.

i don't know what maths to use to convert you frictionless motion
into something where your facing effects your vector...
you probably do though.
bob

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 10:37:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 10:37:32