Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / FPS tutorial

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I really need an First Person (not neccesarily FPS) tutorial for DBP that explains EVERYTHING, including JPEG,CEL,MAX,TGA,GIF,PRJ, and 3DS files and how to use them, what code, how to interact with character, etc.
I have tried all of the tutorials I could find, and none of them seem to work!!
Even downloading source code just give me blank files.
thanks

Wisdom begins in Wonder-Socrates
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 00:00
Wow, you really hate the 'search' tool and browsing forums, dont you? Theres one called 'The newcomers Guide to Creating a FPS'
SimSmall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 00:41
worse than that, it's on page 1 - in plain view...

...maybe one day I'll finish a project
Alexander The Great
Years of Service
User Offline
I have tried that and it seems more like a RPG then a FPS and it didn't answer my questions either.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 13:25
well you cant expect many tutorials to be that specific to exactly what you want, i suggest you follow lots of tutorials about fps`s and im sure theres a few then once youve learned everything about those you should be able to make exactly what you want? no?

Alexander The Great
Years of Service
User Offline
I will try that.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 15:46
I didn't think my tut was RPGish... RPG's have the camera in first person with a gun shooting enemies and jumping around? I've been playing the wrong RPGs then...

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 20:40
I think many people confuse the terms 'FPS', 'RPG' and 'RTS'.

To me an FPS is Quake, HL or Doom style where the camera shows what is seen through the 'eyes' of the player (First Person).

When the camera view switches in these types of games so you are watching the character from behind, it's then called 'Third Person' view (TPS?) rather than Second Person as you watch your character interacting with other characters - making you the third person.

An RPG is simply a Role Playing Game like Final Fantasy and usually involves some sort of quest. Nothing really to do with the camera.

The RTS game (Real Time Strategy) is your Command And Conquer game and is the one I'm happiest playing.

TDK_Man

SimSmall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 21:37
But then A story line in an FPS, technically, you are taking on a role, and so would also be a role playing game - where do you really draw the line between those two?

...maybe one day I'll finish a project
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 21:53
Quote: "But then A story line in an FPS, technically, you are taking on a role, and so would also be a role playing game - where do you really draw the line between those two?"

In most games there is a clear distinction, and it is easy to tell which type it is (although a game may contain elements of many genres). FPS is just a sub-set of Shoot-em-up games. For example, Max Payne is in third person, and is a Shoot-em-up game. If the game was played from a first person perspective, I'd say it would qualify as a FPS, but as it stands, it is not. Morrowind is first person, but it is an RPG, and although you can shoot at enemies with various weapons, the majority of elements in the game are distinctly RPG-esque.

In answer to your question, it is as with everything. When does an embryo become an un-born child (not trying to start a moral debate here!)? There is no line at which an RPG becomes a FPS, or at which a RTS becomes a puzzler, but most games are extreme enough either way for there to be a clear distinction.

Krimzon DestinE
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "i suggest you follow lots of tutorials about fps`s"

that is what he is saying, he wants to know if you know of any other tutorials for him to follow.

@Alexander the Great
i used RUCCUS' tutorial and found it to be quite helpful. I learned a whole lot about DBPro. I went on ahead to further develop the FPS, and have become successful in some aspects but I have not learned enough to accomplish what I want to do on my own, so I will do simple stuff right now of different genres to try to find the answers I am looking for.
Thebeely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 15:51
When I'm in DBP and I click that "Help" button, then "Tutorials" I can see good FPS tutorial. Don't know for you, but...

Thebeely team...
Great software...
Join us!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 11:24:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 11:24:39