Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / newbie questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2005 05:00
hey i know nothing about this stuff here are my questions:
1. How many programs are needed to make a simple 3d game?
2. Will my 1st game be terrible?
3. Do better cpus allow better graphics?

thanks
David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2005 15:18
1 to make a 3d game,you will need a paint program to make textures.a 3d modeling program (preferably that can export to direct x or 3ds.& i think a sound editing program if u want your own sound effects.

2 yes,everyones is.i read somewhere that your 1st 10 games will be bad,but just make them,you will get practice & get better than your games will be better quality.

3 yes

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2005 15:23
1 - All true, check out on the darkbasic discussion board there's a thread called "the game programming kit for begginers", it's one with a green folder. You will find lots there.

2 - Not really, i.e. ever seen squirrel wars? That was that kids first ever game, and I find it very fun and entertaining.

3 - Very true, my gfx card is so crap it can't even make the simplest effects.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2005 18:04
3 - better CPUs allow faster graphics, better graphics cards allow better graphics (not always faster)

(for example if you have a bad CPU but a good graphics card you will display the great shaders but the program will run slow)

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2005 18:59
A good tip for making games is to start off small and build up to a big game. Ie start on say a pong/pacman game just to get a bit of practice and then maybe try to convert your first game into 3d(If it is already 3d try to make it better).

Once you have done this sort of thing and you know your programming skills are much better than before and you feel you are ready you should try a big 3d project.

Hope this helps.

BM

Our aim is to keep the loo's clean, your aim can help.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2005 21:30
1. To make a simple game you only need DBP (or DBC).
2. Yes, of course ... everones first game is, but don't be put off. Kepp at it until your next game is awsome!
3. What Peter_ said

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 09:25:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 09:25:53