Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / Umans Screen Shots

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 05:09 Edited at: 27th Mar 2006 17:10
Heres a number of screen shots from game level one.

Very much a work in progress so theres no lighting to speak of - thats last on the list with me so wont go in till levels are finished. All shots are taken at low res settings 800 x 600 with 128 pixels textures as thats what I work at while developing which saves on test times.

Each shot has been chosen as it dont give away too much and shows something of particular interest.

Shot 1. Tube station
Shows use of intermediate level floors in FPSC - stones at floor below monorail track are put in as individual static entity tiles. Segment floors dont like that level height.

And yes there is a train that runs on the track ommitted here as it requires additional work and retexturing.

EDIT : Following requests I will post further Screen Shots from time to time showing progress. These will be added always to the end of the last page of the thread.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 05:14
Shot2.

Shows 2 new door sets. First vertical doors and the furthest dual doors which are placed individually so they can open or remain closed separately.

Also shows multiple tile height pillars which are static entities.

Attachments

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 05:18
Shot 3.

Computer consoles - based on the FPSC shaped scfi entity shape. Created as outline drawings and extruded as needed. Full polygonal and half polygonal static entities.

Top right corner you can see a yellow/green forcefield.

Attachments

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 05:22 Edited at: 6th Dec 2005 05:36
Shot 4.

Up top looking down on consoles. You can see one of two forcefileds - on the back wall is a switch which I currently use to switch them off as the damage the player who needs to get through them anyway.

new full wall size windows at first floor.

Attachments

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 05:24 Edited at: 6th Dec 2005 05:24
Shot 5.

Close up of open double doors and corridor

Attachments

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 05:29
Shot 6.

I promised someone a while back to show lasers in FPSC - here they are - twin single lasers in this case. Lasers are animated and change colour blue through red so sometime again I will post a vid which shows the effect rather better.

These particular lasers are quite low though high enough so that the player cannot jump over them unaided. They dont kill but damage - another colour kills.

Attachments

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 05:32 Edited at: 6th Dec 2005 05:41
Shot 7.

And to end on a lighter note just to round off some fun for you to all have a little laugh at.

Heres the shooting range - or part thereof.

Here you can practice shooting till your hearts content to the sound of moo's, baah's and squark's before the serious stuff starts and death lies around every corner.

Thats all for now folks.

Attachments

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 05:33
Cute

-This...is my boomstick!
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 07:00
WOW uman!!! This is great!!

Are you about to rock?

Then [b]I SALUTE YOU!!!
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 07:44
Amazing!

"I hate erecting my tree, my whole family always wants to join in and all the balls fall around the place." - Zotoaster Merry Christmas!
gps
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 08:50
Outstanding work - the tube station is particularly impressive!
Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 10:11
Awesome! Keep up excellent work!!!!!!!
Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
Nyice. That's what I'm talkin about.
DOMRAY
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 10:17
nice work

let he who is with out sin cast the first stone.
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Good work uman, wouldn't expect anything less from you.

V

I'm pretty sure I know everything. Doubts are something rare in me and I am never wrong, as this signature can prove.
Lon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 15:54
Uman, I must say those are some of the most impressive screens I've seen so far with FPSC. Also, you gotta love that skycube LOL.

Lon
Harry Harrison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 17:13
Very nice work indeed, Uman.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 17:30
Thank you all for you kind words. As you can see theres still much to do with the levels, hud and so on to bring it up to a finished standard and I will post more shots when things are nearer completion with this and other levels I have partly completed.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 17:45
gps,

Its the camera angle makes the view in the tube station look good. What you see from there is approx half the length of that single track which stretches the whole length of the FPSC level world size of 40 tiles. It was a bit tricky getting a long tube train to appear looking realistic moving along the track at speed in a small world length but its done and will be used to make a story zone vid near to the beggining of the game.
crow34
Years of Service
User Offline
at last some quality screenshots well impressive dude cant wait to play this one
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 18:43
crow34,

Thanks,

I wish I could accommodate your wishes more quickly - it will be a while until anything playable is released. Unfortunately I have to work to feed myself and I look to making a game with some level of professionalism so its long, hard and frustratingly slow work - but progress is in a forward direction and there will be more screen shots, vids and a demo coming later.

Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 19:46
Is this going to be commercial?
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 20:23
Quote: "Is this going to be commercial?"

One might like to think so as that might encourage a better quality final product.

Though realistically to be honest - do you think I will ever finish a commercial quality game with FPSC - I dont think so as what I would refer to as commercial game is far too big an undertaking for one person and FPSC is slow in development when it comes to commercial quality content.

The story line in this case is quite complex and telling it in a game would require a lot of levels and all the professional type media to support it, textures, models, audio, video and much more - I would be lucky if it would fit on a DVD leave alone a download - with the extremely large file size of FPSC levels not to mention much unecessary media content saved to final game folder. But who knows what the future holds for FPSC.

Firstly I would need either a team or employ others to help and I dont like teams as they raely work or succeed in the indie world, partnerships in all forms are notoriously difficult to maintain over long periods - a very professional attitude, staying power and the will to succeed is required. Employing others to make content of professional quality can be expensive - very much so. Why does anyone want to help?

I have no illusions about how difficult is is to make a successful comercial quality game - Ive been doing this a long time with many engines some of which I still have far more of the game made with than I do with FPSC, which is perhaps less productive than any other I have used.

Hopefully we will get to a demo state and see what happens from there.

crow34
Years of Service
User Offline
first of all i have to apologise for my previous post uman i two have been in ea since day 1 and everyday after doing a 12 hr shift at warburtons (awful bread by the way) i am at home sat on the pc battling away

in the hopes of bring something special to the fpsc engine

and after working on the pc gamer demo for fpsc i can tell you i learned a lot and i can tell you this the standards required are pretty high

and because of what i learned i was force to go back to the drawing board and rethink my game

i learned a lot

i was just tired of seeing posts on the forum that meant nothing

the noobs posting as if they were the next microsoft or something

but i can tell you this your not the only 1 i am still developing content for the engine and i have yet to have a concrete level iam happy with

i hope all newcomers will use this post as a example to post excellent screenshots of there work instead of claiming to be the next sony or microsoft or acclaim

so heres a screenshot of what i am doing

piece out

Attachments

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 23:19
Wow excellent screenies!!!!

Since you're not planning on selling the game commercially, how about selling the segments (and other stuff shown) as a add-on pack for FPSC? That way you could still make some money of your hard work and it sure deserves that!

MegaMusic Pack 01.... 31 original soundtracks for your games!
http://www.aeilkema.dds.nl/mega/index.html
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 01:59
Bows down to the god, Uman.
I am at your service, My Lord.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 01:59
crow34,

Quote: "first of all i have to apologise for my previous post uman"

Not sure what you would want to applogise for - nothing in your post to do that for.

Your screen shot actually looks a bit like a storage room I have in level 1.

Warburtons - most modern bread tastes like the cardboard boxes in my game. That suggests you are in the UK? like myself.

Keep up the good work and it will get done in the end. If you try and force things too quickly it can get frustrating so I just keep working away and now and then like like now take a break when I feel theres still a big mountain to climb thats a little overpowering.

Benjamin A,

Quote: "Since you're not planning on selling the game commercially, how about selling the segments (and other stuff shown) as a add-on pack for FPSC?"

Not sure if that was directed at me....

I dont say I am not planning on selling a game - first of all I would have to complete one to a standard I was happy with before I would even attempt going commercial with. Realistically thats a big job that few actually achieve and I dont see my own case as being any different. If I complete a demo game and the response is positive I may consider further development and releasing it commercially, but that could be many years down the road.

I have and would consider releasing content from the game or additional content yet to be made for inclusion in the game or even specially created packs for commercial for sale packs for game makers and if that was the case it would probably be made up of content aimed at making users games look more professional and would cover those things that many find hard to do. e.g. terrains and alike, segment rooms with separate textures for floors/ceilings, creative static entity shapes, animated decal effects, doors and windows, signs and posters - animated model entities to give action to the environment - things of that nature as I dont see the point in making boxes - anyone can make a crate - though you can never have enough textures for them.

If anyone would like to see anything from any screen shots I ever post in a pack or have particular ideas of what might they may like to see as something that would be valuable to users in making FPSC games better then by all means make the suggestion and I would consider making and releasing content packs with specifically created original content in the same vein if there was enough interest.

I would have no objection to releasing content from my own game in a commercial pack which as it would mean it would be copyright free for commercial purposes would mean I can still use it too. Different textures, level design, lighting and so on can always be changed to make any game individualistic as is necessary.

Theres still a lot to do in my levels and as the saying goes "You aint seen nothing yet"

Gamemaking is my no 1 priority.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 02:09
OnePost,

Thank you, I'll bear that in mind.

With a Wink and a Nod - I know theres someone hiding behind that cat.

I have a new set of doors to make - tri section this time I think so Id best get on with it when I get five minutes. To come - 4 section doors and eventually five and perhaps more animated vault type doors.

Not enough smileys here to choose from
Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 02:11
Good use of ustom textures and models. Keep up the good job.

Skalex Productions| Website Finished (click on banner) | ChaosZone
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 06:49
It''s great to see someone making progress like this.

instinct is more valuable than intelligence.....
Xilch
Years of Service
User Offline
Absolutely amazing! Keep up the excellent work!

"Shop smart. Shop S-Mart!"
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 17:06 Edited at: 7th Dec 2005 17:07
Thank you Xilch and everyone else for your kind words.

It is really encouraging to recieve your most appreciative comments.

I hope that others will also be similarly encouraged to continue their work with FPSC.

Flash
Years of Service
User Offline
The sheer quality of your custom media is fantastic! I would pay one heck of a lot if you released it as a pack! I love those tall coridoor arch type things in the 2nd screen. The lasers are also great, however, may I make a suggestion? I think they would look much better if they were slightly transparent. Absolutely no offence intended, it's just my oppinion. Congratulations and keep up the good work!

P.S: I agree, not enough smileys!

Hippopottomonstrosesquippedaliophobia
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 17:56 Edited at: 7th Dec 2005 18:06
Flash,

Thanks for that - they are indeed transparent - though it dont show too well in the screen shot. The top and bottom edges fade out to the balck transparent colour so that in the animation the edges kind of dance around in a broken dynamic elecrtic fashion albeit blackish (is that a word)in colour.

As to the media and textures, audio and so on I use some are from purchased collections, some are from free collections some are made internally generated myself and almost all are always edited or mixed with others or otherwise made suitable for a particular situation. Much is also FPSC based and edited sometimes - though many entities like the pillars and doors wont be deafult FPSC media but made by me. I dont mind using FPSC media where appropriate, no point in doing whats not necessary - but at the end of the day most will be edited, added too or textures and alike changed to try and break away from tile based FPSC look wherever possible.

Thus the tall pillars - which are the first of many designs I will be adding to give a different feel to levels and add interest. They were a test piece to see what might be achieved and others will hopefully be a little more intersetingly shaped.

Again the lasers were a first test so I am sure I and others can improve on that. As with all things slow but surely is the name of the game - I do a lot of testing and every time I make or add another entity or segment I am always expecting FPSC to give up on me as engines do and my level corrupt or say you cant do that or add any more content or you are using too many textures - so back ups are essential and since an object limit was removed in V1 its not done so yet.

Needless to say any content pack that I might ever consider releasing would only include copyright free in-house created media.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 19:16 Edited at: 7th Dec 2005 19:40
This is for crow34,

In your screen shot you have a weapon depicted.

Just wondering if you could say what programs you used to create or save the model out in so as to make it FPSC compatible? And is it animated?

Just pre-empting my own attempts at getting custom weapons into FPSC sometime later - as you may know I have been having some diffiulty in getting new Characters into FPSC (models forum post) as I cant seem to get the texture to appear in FPSC using FRAGMOTION to save the .x files out.

Hopefully I wont get the same problems with weapons so any enlightenment would be helpful.

thanks
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 19:38
Looks kinda Halo-ish.

Are you about to rock?

Then [b]I SALUTE YOU!!!
crow34
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 20:38 Edited at: 7th Dec 2005 21:21
http://files.filefront.com/gun_tutorialzip/;4190199;;/fileinfo.html

made this back in the early days of ea shows you what files are needed to setup custom weapons

i can tell you this attaching the weapon to a character does not work your weapons are made up of two seperate entitys

vweap.x this is the model that is show in the engine before pickup

hud.x this is the first person persective of the weapon

both have to lie in gamecore and entity bank

the weapons have to have animition applied to them

i found the best way of doing this was to convert 1 of the existing weapons from direct x to 3ds and use the animation on that file as a template

the texture problems is easly solved the most common error still cant figure out why fpsc does this it the gun texture for hud.x has to be called

gun_d2.tga if not the engine will not correctly uv map the gun\

the gun also has to have several assets

such as a fire sound a place ment sound

and most important thing is the gunspec file

heres the same photo with a ak47 attached

maybe the use of naming convetions is the reason why your textures are not correctly uv mapping to your character models

i am afraid i cant model characters as i dont know how to setup a skeleton bone structure for my characters

so any info you got on characters would be a big help
and by the way uman your right i am from uk

and warburtons bread sucks big time lol

peace out

enjoy

Attachments

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 21:23
Cheers,

I'll download and have a look at that. At the moment I am more concerned with new characters so wont get around to new wepaons for a little while.
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 20:40
Hey crow, would it be all good with you if I use that gun in a game vommercial game?

Are you about to rock?

Then [b]I SALUTE YOU!!!
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 21:14 Edited at: 8th Dec 2005 21:17
crow34,

Well I sorted weapons and got a new test one into the game so will move on from that now and find something else new to do or get back to building more.

I have not yet decided wheteher or not I will add hands to weapons as I would like to see 3rd person view too - as thats not around and not likely to be perhaps I will probably go for hands - but thats for another time and screen shot.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 02:02 Edited at: 9th Dec 2005 02:04
And heres a screen shot of the weapon in test - no hands as yet.

The cross hair is the red spot on the blue character who also holds the same weapon.

Enjoy - I hope to post some more screen shots in the new year until then I need to get on and be more productive.

Compliments of the season to you all.

Attachments

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 05:32
Do you have it animated?

Are you about to rock?

Then [b]I SALUTE YOU!!!
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 06:29
No animation as yet as its the most basic test I could do. I am not yet ready to work on weapons but had to try it as it was on my mind.

When I do it will be :

Weapons first - no problem - hands perhaps - that wont be a problem. Animation should not be a problem in its simpliest form - I dont envisage any major difficulties there.

Advance weapon animation of various separate parts, co-ordinated with hand movement for reloading and so forth is just a lot more work so I am not sure how far down that road I will go for my own game.

I have a kind of priority listing in my own mind - Firstly I need to get levels complete and enemies to shoot at or I got no FP shooter.

At the end of the day I could live with default FPSC media and just change the textures really - I am not one for wanting the most technical looking weapons in a game specifically though I like them of course. As its not very difficult to get weapons in I will probably use all my own now though. Not so with new enemies with which I am currently held up with not being able to get a texture on them.

My priorities are roughly, Good story, Good level design, good looking environments, good enemy AI, good gameplay - that makes a good FP shooter.

I love rocket launches of sorts and sniper rifles so you can expect to see versions of those most definately - maybe in the first level you see screen shots of as it contains an optional player training mission with target ranges.

And by the way Yes the cow, sheep and bird target range really is part of a very serious game and is just one of a number - a bit of fun to lighten the mood in what is to be quite a heavy, serious and difficult start to a game.

Salvation
Years of Service
User Offline
wow. Very nice work. I can see alot of time has been poured into that!

-----
I bite. Watch out
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 07:25
Salvation,

Thanks for that

Well quite a bit of time yes I have been working with FPSC since day 1 of EA release cant remeber when that was exactly was it Jan 05? a year will pass before I get one finished level complete, though I have a couple of levels partially complete. I actually spent much time initially working on outdoor levels including a City level as I needed to ascertain how FPSC would behave in those situations. Then spent a couple of months in and out Beta testing V1 at the same time. So have had some hold ups.

There has been much testing and experiment intermixed with building so the less of that then the more building gets going as problems or issues are addressed - things will speed up eventually.

Currently I have spent too much time at this forum trying to bolster morale and support the community and product and I really must stop this and get back to work. I will dissapear shortly to be seen less frequently though pop by every day useually.

crow34
Years of Service
User Offline
now that what i call cool glad i could help with your weapons uman

quick tip the reload animation lies past 56 frame the green guide box should help

peace out
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2005 07:24
I hope to look at this further when I get around to adding hands to weapons shortly - will try and ge another scrren shot up when thats done.

I am more concerned with new Characters at the moment as its my sticking point right now and is holding up my development.

Allen Dark
Years of Service
User Offline
now thats a nice gun! goodluck with your game.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 13:28
Thank you
PureEvil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2005 07:14
nice screenies, uman! I would really like some of the stuff you used "lasers and the gun most )

?¨®´´?ˆ¬
ˆ† µ´å˜ß ?¨®´´?ˆ¬
Bet you didn't understand that. btw, ROCK ON, Resident Evil!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 06:04:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 06:04:23