Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Set Window ...commands.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Wotcha, folks.

Total noob here. Be gentle with me.

I've always been puzzled/uncomfortable with the display setup of DBp. Being a bit of a Blitz boy, setting up a window of 800,600 is simply a case of GRAPHICS 800,600,32,2. However, with DBp it seems a little more involved, and I'm not not sure if the results I'm getting are valid!

Will the window, shown with the following code, actually give me a working area of 800x600?

I ask as the entire window DBp creates, seems to fit entirely (toolbar and all) into the work area window BB creates of the same dimension!

In short, does the above code create a window of 800x600, of which the toobar and borders take up a few pixels? e.g only create a workable area of 796x560, say?

Does the above make sense? I do tend to waffle.

Much ta.

T.
Thebeely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 22:28
Quote: "Will the window, shown with the following code, actually give me a working area of 800x600?"

Well, no. At least not to me. It will resize window to that size, but resolution will be hmmm... "retarded". You probably don't want that, so simply click that "Settings" button and then in "Display settings" choose "Windowed - 800x600". And if you're using Blue GUI, "createwindow" command taks a lot less video memory, but it's only good for 2D win api stuff. Well, I really hope this helped.

Thebeely team...
Great software...
Join us!
Tobo
Years of Service
User Offline
So basically, For 2D stuff, use the settings for window creation, yes?

Also, what did you mean by "resolution retarded"? Do you mean the blurry stuff!
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 00:19
Ideally you should not use those commands to set opening res. Use the 'settings' options in the editor to open in window mode 800*600.

Even then your program will still open with whole window being 800*600 which is obviously wrong. As soon as you have some proper 2D commands, even replacing PRINT "Hi" with TEXT 0,0,"Hi" then the correct dlls are compiled into the exe and window will be correct size, ie the working area is 800*600 with window frame and caption being outside the area.

To properly control swapping between window and fullscreen modes takes a bit of work involving a couple of windows libraries to obtain size in pixels of window frame and height of caption bar. You can then compensate.

Boo!
Tobo
Years of Service
User Offline
Ahh - I see!

Thanks guys. That simple problem has kept me off of DB for months!

T.
Thebeely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 15:35
I meant that resolution INSIDE the window won't be 800x600, but window will be 800x600 size. Try resizing window and you'll get the point. I don't know how to explain it.

Quote: " So basically, For 2D stuff, use the settings for window creation, yes?"

If you're *working with Blue GUI* and make program like text editor or something. Then you set the lowest resolution posible and hide window to save some video memory. Until yesterday I had 8 MB graphic card and high resolution windows were killing me.

Thebeely team...
Great software...
Join us!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 11:21:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 11:21:57