Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Setting text to top layer

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
As mentioned in the title I am having quite a bit of an issue with the text showing up, I am assuming that it is printing under the current picture on screen, plus the cls command doesn't seem to clear the screen for me (but that really isn't my current issue).
My current situation is I am adding polish to the game and everything seems to be going wrong, I am attempting to set it up to show a certain text after I hit something and before it closes, nothing changes on screen, but it still suspends closing until I hit a key so it must be showing up...somewhere.
To make my matters worse, I am working on a school computer and it has no help files installed.
If anyone could please help that'd be great (by the way this is my first post so if I missed something I applogize)
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 16:07
Printed text over a 3D screen will be wiped off at the next screen sync, so if this is what you are doing, try putting the Text command immediately after the Sync command - not before it.

Also, silly as it sounds, check that the current ink colour is not the same colour as the background from a previous operation.

TDK_Man

Ir uber 1337
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the advice but I found that the absolute weirdest thing happens, I decided to use an image instead of text and it still won't work...that isn't the strange part though, if I alt-tab my program the image comes up no problem. I let it sit for over 5 minutes and it did nothing but the second I alt-tab it the image comes up perfectly. I think it has something to do with the screen refresh but I called sync again after the subroutine starts, everyone around me is also clueless (I am in programming school )
Torq
Years of Service
User Offline
Try the draw to front and draw to back commands. This will help with text.

The Most reliable is to write or snag a text function that uses bmp's as sprites. Works like a charm. I think you can find one in the code base.

http://badtempergames.tripod.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 11:18:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 11:18:51