Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Books and books

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2003 11:51
"Beginner's Guide to DarkBASIC Game Programming"
is found on amazon.com but can I use the book for dbpro or should I wait for a new one?
You never fail, only make mistakes.
GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2003 15:31
It does cover DBPro but the book is aimed at TOTAL beginners.

spadge
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm starting to learn with this book, and it has loads of info that I think I need to learn to program.
If some of it seems like treading over ground already covered then just skip to the sections you need to learn, although it won't hurt to reread stuff and see how others may code things.
Also 800 pages is good for me, they can't possibly miss anything important can they ?
I got my copy when I ordered DBpro from amazon at the same time. And I am v.happy with it all, I just need to update my graphics card to a decent one, rather than the slow 8mb card I have at the mo'.

"Who Throws A Shoe"
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Also 800 pages is good for me, they can't possibly miss anything important can they ?

Hm, I am not sure. Just look at the current issues... But I doubt they missed something as important as: sync

Never heard of the book, I heard something about: DarkBasic for Dummies... But that was ages ago.

Toughest line of codecol$=asc(left(Pcol$)),1+str$(rev)+chr(80)+left(right(mid(name$),1),1)
Speedhorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2003 03:20
To anyone who has the book, can you find the "FPSEngine" demo on the CD?
I can't find it on mine, i'm probably just stupid and not looking properly, but could anyone tell me exactly where it is if they found it, please.

Ralph, Jesus didn't have wheels.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2003 14:13
Yea they always leave out the small and unimportant stuff because 'Everyone knows that' Just wait and see Now there is a whole new reason for people to come to these boards, complaining that a tut in the book wont work!

Just me rambling, Im sure the book is great

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy! Oh ya, and Tat has a plugin for that!
spadge
Years of Service
User Offline
Speedhorn
Do you know I can't find the fpsengine on the cd either. nevermind theres plenty of other stuff on the cd anyways, and I imagine that between writing the book and compiling the cd things don't always go acording to plan.
I'm just onto understanding basic data types chapter, and i have to say i've not really had the patience to read books like these before, but this one is really good

"Who Throws A Shoe"
Speedhorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2003 23:45
@ Spadge

The FPSEngine looked pretty good, shame it's not on the CD. I'm glad however that it wasn't me being stupid or me having a dodgy CD.

I haven't read much of the book yet, but what i have read has been well written.

Ralph, Jesus didn't have wheels.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-19 23:14:01
Your offset time is: 2024-09-19 23:14:01