Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Error 1511 - Display cannot be created due to invalid function parameters...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Howdy!

Just installed the DBPro demo, trying to get something to run. Downloaded the demos or running source code from the IDE I get the following error:

Runtime Error 1511 - Display cannot be created due to invalid function paramters at line 0.

Where is line 0? The IDE starts at line 1. Even the precompiled download demos give the same error. I'm on Win2k Server with directx 8.1.

Knowledge greatly appreciated!

Chris
RodeoRuf
Years of Service
User Offline
More information on my original post. The same problem happens on Win2K Pro. Both machines have NVidia TNT graphics cards (from Dell) and are using the drivers shipped from Microsoft. Don't know if this will help.

Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
The same thing happens to me. I am on a Win 98 machine and I got direcx 8.1 like you. I got a ATI 3d Rage pro. I am like what the heck. Why would i buy a program that does not work right I ask my self. I am re thinking of getting this program because of this stupid error i get in the demo.
The only thing that works right is the print "hi" thing and wait.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2003 02:02
What resolutions are you using ? And are you using the latest Detonator drivers (or ATI drivers) ?

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
RodeoRuf
Years of Service
User Offline
The resolution is 1280x1024. I'm not using the latest driver's from NVidia because they're unstable, not only on one machine, but on multiple different machines.

Thing of it is, I can't be writing software using DarkBasic if it's sensitive to driver versions or screen resolutions.

This problem is happening on 3 different machines now, all have NVidia cards, but resolution on one machine is 1024x768.

...and yes, all I can get to run is the print "hi" thing...

RodeoRuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Great_Knight...

Unfortunately, I DID buy the sofware before running the demos. Sheesh, am I a dummy or what.

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2003 04:17
Try setting your display mode to 800*600*24

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy! Oh ya, and Tat has a plugin for that!
RodeoRuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for that suggestion; however, the exact same error message still comes up. I only have 16 and 32 bit depths, no 24 bit. But in either case, the "Error 1511..." still comes up.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2003 00:16
It sounds like DirectX isn't running properly. Do all the system tests.

RodeoRuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there some way to change how much graphics support a DB program will use?

I have other 3D game programs which run fine on this machine; however, the DB ones will not. I suspect the driver and/or card (the card is an NVidia clone) provide weak 3D support.

So I'm wondering if there's a way to adjust a DB program, say through a command line parameter, so that it supports weak or no 3D graphics engine?

Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
I do not think you have to chnage display becasue i added print hi and it works and the other code does not support the resolution then somthing is wrong.

The program should work, becasue i got all the requierments for it and here are the important specs.

Since it was a runtime error all the code was right, but it just wont work in professional, but only work in regler.

My Important Specs
P2 MMX 333MHZ
321 MB SDRAM
ATI 3d Rage pro
DirectX 8.1
Windows 98

I think it should work fine unless the demo is corrupted for some weird reason.

Chief Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2003 07:03
i feel your pain on this, i've got code that works fantastic in DB classic, run it under DB Pro demo, and all hell breaks loose. i've got an ATI Radeon 7000, oodles of RAM, and XP Pro. what's up with DB Pro, they talk of it as if is the next best thing in game programming but the demos don't work. is it just the demo version? if you buy DB Pro, does it work?
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2003 14:05
Your code may not work with DB pro because some commands have been taken out.

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy! Oh ya, and Tat has a plugin for that!
yosepp
Years of Service
User Offline
great_knight, i have the same problem with dbpro, and i have quite the same comp as you do, just less ram! it could be that, that dbpro requires 350MHZ, not 333MHZ. not sure, though

fire, fire, fire
-"Cornholio" alias Beavis
Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
I thought you only need 200 Mhz for DBPRO

RodeoRuf
Years of Service
User Offline
SOME commands taken out? I can't get anything but "hello world" to run in DB Pro. I did find out more details though. The "NVidia" card I was using was a "clone" and I tried to install NVidia's drivers but they wouldn't work. I think this caused some mishap with DirectX.

HOWEVER, other game programs written in C++ ran fine. I think DBPro & DB have a ways to go yet for general compatibility. This concerns me alot because why write software that's only gonna work on 50% of the machines out there?

Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
I think the programs in C++ should run fine. I made a crappy c++ code thing and it works fine. If C++ did not run on your windows machine then something is really wrong.

I bet the demo version is a old beta version of pro.

SpineTrader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 15:04
I don't know what's going on here but my DBPro worked fine when I installed it, then for some reason it has just stopped. I have uninstalled & reinstalled DBPro, Patched it with 3.1, updated the IDE to 1.09b and installed directx 9, then the latest ATI drivers for my AIW 128 Pro. I have an AMD XP2000 with 512Mb Ram & XP Pro so that should be OK. All my 3d games work fine but anything more complex than Hello World comes back with Runtime 1504 error [display cannot be created due to unknown Direct X error]even the spinning cube!
Any ideas what's going on?
I've used dxdiag and that says all is OK with Direct X.
Running out of ideas now!

No rainforest was destroyed creating this message, unfortunately a few electrons were unavoidably inconvenienced.
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 15:11
Re-install Windows ??

SpineTrader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 15:46
Cheers!

That'll fix everything I'm sure, not considering the thousands of hours it'll take to get all the other software to work together again! I might try restoring it first. But if I knew what was causing the problem then I could fix that bit on its own. I'm pretty sure it's a driver conflict but is it worth doing all that only to have to start again when patch 4 finally surfaces eh?
Any ideas about when it will be set loose on the world?

No rainforest was destroyed creating this message, unfortunately a few electrons were unavoidably inconvenienced.
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 16:07
Nope...

As for your DX problem - try reducing/stopping hardware acceleration & see what happens. It is a problem between DX and the graphics drivers/card (which is one reason I only my NVidia products), but what exactly it is, I've no idea...

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 16:08
I meant to say, only buy...

SpineTrader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 16:32
Guess what?
I ran dxdiag went to display and disabled direct3d, then re-enabled direct 3d (I did a test before this and had a failure in the direct x 8 spining cube, funny though 7 & 9 worked fine)now all my loverly DBPro demos and tutorials work again! How strange is that?
Fantastic!
Thanks for your help.
Chris

RodeoRuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the dxdiag hint. I discovered that the machine where darkbasic isn't working doesn't have Direct3D Acceleration available, nor does it have ACP Texture Acceleration. Does anyone know for sure if DB/DBP requires these hardware accelerations?

RodeoRuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Running dxdiag was helpful. Found out that either the card or the drivers don't support Direct3D or AGP accelleration. That prompted more searching and I found out the NVidia card in this HP computer is an HP variant and only the HP driver's support it's features. Previously I was trying to use either the drivers on the Microsoft CD or the drivers from NVidia. I didn't even think to try the drivers from HP.

So, the moral of this story, get the drivers from the CPU manufacturer and try them first. I didn't have to reconfig or reinstall DirectX at all. It was a driver problem all along.

Thanks so much for your help folks!

Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
I do not think it will ever work for me oh well. lol. I guess this program is not this flexable on machines. Oh well

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2003 00:11
Indeed - it happens... For example I cant run Nero on one of my machines - crashes just before writing to the CD, not matter what version I use.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-19 22:45:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-19 22:45:24