Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Tyrannt RPG Engine (New toolkit being created to develop games)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 14:28 Edited at: 21st Dec 2005 14:29
Hi

I've been working on re-doing the generator tools for Tyrannt and have now come up with this Toolkit. Currently it will load and save items (Only items generated with this tool though, they are not ready for use in the game engine just yet) and it will allow .x models, images(.png) and sounds(.wav) to be associated with the item.

The format of the item files generated will be the new format for the Tyrannt Engine Items when the next release is done. Currently the existing release will only work with the items generated with the old tool.

Also models will not be quickly added to the main engine as they will be used mainly when the Mage Generator/combat system goes 3D.

I've added the 3d models as after doing the monster generator, I'm planning to start on the new 3D Maze Generator alongside implementing the new monster and item formats inside the game engine. (This will also include the new Inventory system)

Below is a screen shot of the latest version of the tool showing the Dagger item.

Here is the demo for you to try and break.

Tyrannt Toolkit Demo

This is a zip file, extract and run the TyranntToolkit.exe. There are no models in this demo but you can use your own .x models to try out the viewer. If you select a sound/image/model, it will copy to the correct place inside the directory tree for the toolkit.

Also as this is written in VB.NET 2005 you will need the .net framework version 2 which can be downloaded from Microsoft if you do not already have it.

Click This Link to download from Microsoft.

Thanks to help from TGC in using the great feature of DBPro to attach a DBPro application to a windows form. Which made the showing of models soooo much easier for me. For those interested send me an email and I'll show you what needs to be done. I've been using VB.NET 2005 Express to do this.

As usual there is a forum for Tyrannt Here

And the website is my web link below

Cheers,

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 22:56
Can I say looks kewl, haven't yet tried the demo, but will do once I sort my PC out

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 23:24
Over Xmas, I plan to start working on the monster Generator tab. Let me know if you have any problems with the item one. Known problems found so far was the copying of models into the item\models directory failed so you would see an error. To get round this, if you copy manually you should have no problems.

Cheers,

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 23:33
If this is made in VB.NET 2005, will the game be run through DBP or a 3D SDK?

jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 23:38
The final game is run in just DBPro, I've just decided to do the game editors in VB.NET 2005 with parts of DBPro doing the 3d stuff. The model displaying in the VB.Net program is actually a DBPro program that is running and attaching to a Group Box in the Windows Form. (A bit like the way that TGC Integrated the Windows and DBPro parts of FPSC).

Jas

----
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 00:10
I've updated the demo with a fix for the model copying routine. Should work fine now (You will need to copy the textures manually though)

Cheers,

Jas

----
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 00:41
I saw the demo of the engine running at this years convention. Looking very impressive Jason.

WE SHALL BECOME ALL POWERFUL! CRUSH THE LESSER RACES! CONQUER THE GALAXY! UNIMAGINABLE POWER! UNLIMITED RICE PUDDING ! ! ! ETC. ! ! ! ETC.! ! !
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 00:51
Thanks, David is currently working on the Graphics so I can also work on the Inventory System that will use these items. It will hopefully look a lot more Graphical than it did previously.

If anyone wants to contribute with ideas and or other help, Join the Tyrannt Forum (Link in the first post in this thread). It has been feedback which has shaped the future development of the engine so far.

All sections of the development are detailed on the different sections of the forum.

Thanks again for the comments,

Jas

----
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 02:43
I've updated the image Thanks to David's new artwork.

Jas

----
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 07:11
Looking great . My RPG editing tools looked kind of similar actually, although they were just intended for the development of the game itself. Given how popular games like Morrowind's mod tools were, I would imagine there's something of a market for this kind of thing; I'm certainly interested.

Congrats and good luck

jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 10:17
Ian T, This toolkit is for a Game Engine that I am working on. The whole thing is a free Engine/Tool for creating classic style RPG Games.

These are a few screen shots from the engine itself. (Though the Item Generator will not actually work with the engine yes as I need to work on it to integrate the new information the items have in the game.)

A few Screen Shots from the game engine:

Main Menu

Character Generator

Main Play View

Click to Download the latest version of the Engine

Cheers,

Jas

----
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 19:21
kewl that Tasslehoff dude looks like the new ICT teacher at school called Mr Hussain, people say he bought his degree...because he's stupid

Anyway, love the artwork, now that I've reinstalled windows, I see point to downloading this, but once my updater has finished updating

jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 02:06
Here is a quick look at the Layout for the new Monster Generator:

It uses the same DBPro program to display the monster model, in this case it animates the monster, The example shown is a model from the Dark Matter collection.

Jas

----
new programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 06:04
cool, looks just like mine.
Fido Gesiwuj
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 12:50
Will the source code be available for this? I am currently working on a DarkBASIC RPG, and my friend is coding an RPG engine, but if this project was open source I guess I can use this.
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2006 10:48
The source code will not be available as it stands at the moment. It's a work in progress. The engine and tools will be available for free as they progress though. There are no plans for any charge for the engine etc. (Probably end up as a GPL)

I would like to thank David (Rattle) for doing all the graphics for the engine, as without this, the engine would have probably stagnated. He's done a marvelous job of bringing the engine and world of Tyrannt to life. (You can see more of his art work on our Tyrannt forum which is where we keep all the mythology and design information at: Tyrannt Forums

Thanks Rich for giving this a mention in the news letter .

Jas

----
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2006 20:40
There is now a new download available. It is version 0.30.

This includes:

* New Item/Monster Generator in the Toolkit.
* New items and monster now readable inside the Engine.
* Engine code has been optimized and redundant things have been removed.
* In Game formulas have been tweaked to make more accurate.

The installer has been updated for the new layout of items and monsters.

Click Here Download the new demo (V0.30)

Please let me know of any problems with it.

Cheers,

Jas

----
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2006 21:18
I'm now going to work on the inventory system. This will allow the player to graphically move inventory items about and pass onto other characters. Equipping items will be as simple as putting them in the relevent slot. The way it will integrate is, if you click on a character portrait on the main view, you will get the inventory screen replacing the 3D view. And you can then manipulate your inventory items to your hearts content.

Along side this I will be creating the Spell Generator in the tool kit and then integrating spells into the combat system. Though this may take some time as I'll be back to work next week.

Jas

----
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome!

Can't wait until it is done!

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia-Fear of long words
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2006 06:21
I've also started work on the back bone of the 3D Maze Generation system for the next part of the designing system. The current system is a 2D grid edit system which worked ok for the initial testing of the engine.

But to make it a bit more visually pleasing, I'm planning on the following maze creation system:

A Maze Object Creator.
This will be for creating individual objects, things like chests, wall ornaments, oh yes and the walls them selves . These will have properties such as Floor, Wall, Attaches floor, Attaches wall etc. These will be used in the next tool.

A Maze Block Creator.
This will be used to create the blocks of the maze. You can place the objects from the object creator to make up maze segments. This will have properties like, is a door, is solid etc.

A Maze Creator.
This is where you use your maze blocks to build the final maze and create things like encounters etc.

I had come across a problem with doing this. I've developed the Toolkit for the engine in Visual Basic. But all the 3d work needs to be done in DBPro, so what I've ended up doing is embedding DBPro inside the VB Application. The only problem with this is, once the DBPro application has started up inside VB you can no longer communicate with it normally I.e. mouse commands and input commands will no longer work. So what I did to get round this was to develop a communication system so the VB program can talk to the DBPro one. Firstly I tried files, but for the amount of information that was needed to travel between them both, this was impractical. The solution as in the Expansion Pack. Mapped Files. I create the mapped files inside the VB Application and opened them inside the DBPro one. The up shot of this is now I can communicate really fast between the two applications.

Here is a screen shot of the interaction working.

Anyway, back to working on the tools and the engine.

Jas

----
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2006 17:10
Another little screenie update on the maze object creation tool.

This is what happens when you click on the object panel.

I click on the Model is a wall radio button.

Then Select a texture.

This messaging system between VB & DBPro seems to be holding up well. It is now also two way so if for instance I try to send an invalid request like texturing an object that doesnt exist yet (Due to the vb code allowing this to happen) I can get errors sent back.

----
Knubbelz
Years of Service
User Offline
hi - im new here but i have some good news. im working for a array based level editor with more powerful graphics

here is a demo, where i tested a level whith collision.

http://www.emptybrainbox.de/Levelor/LevelorVChris.rar

jasuk70 if you are interested please write it in your forum...
the leveleditor is complete in 3d (like fps creator) but not ready yet. (if you want to see it, i can post the latest version in this forum)

the editor creates a very simple array filled with low informations, so level loading finishes in 5 seconds (really huge areas)(i finished levelloading codesnipped but im not ready jet because i want to fill it in a function or stand alone sub,so everyone can use it). its possible to add more variables on one block (i call them links to scripts) so coding triggerzones and stuff like doors are really easy.

so ... i have to code now ... bye
Knubbelz
Years of Service
User Offline
hi - im new here but i have some good news. im working for a array based level editor with more powerful graphics

here is a demo, where i tested a level whith collision.

http://www.emptybrainbox.de/Levelor/LevelorVChris.rar

jasuk70 if you are interested please write it in your forum...
the leveleditor is complete in 3d (like fps creator) but not ready yet. (if you want to see it, i can post the latest version in this forum)

the editor creates a very simple array filled with low informations, so level loading finishes in 5 seconds (really huge areas)(i finished levelloading codesnipped but im not ready jet because i want to fill it in a function or stand alone sub,so everyone can use it). its possible to add more variables on one block (i call them links to scripts) so coding triggerzones and stuff like doors are really easy.

so ... i have to code now ... bye
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2006 10:19
Hi thanks for the offer, but part of the fun in doing this is learning the new stuff as I go along.

I think the one thing that David and me would be interested in is people to do the character models of the monsters and players in the engine for when we do the 3D version of the combat routines.

Thanks again,

Jas

----

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 10:24:16
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 10:24:16