Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2003 03:34
is there any way to make a game available for download without using a webpage?thanx
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live so when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
Plutarck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2003 03:39
You could host it on your own computer using a an FTP application - so you would sort of have your own webpage on your computer. The best program I know of is called "GuildFTPd" - google for it or visit ZDNet.com, where I think it is available for download.

Other than that...I'm going with "no". Oh, you could also install your own webserver like Apache, but then that would be just about the same thing as using the above - just more complicated, but with more functionality.

"My house has a 3D interface. I'm constantly losing crap, running into things, and it's always a mess."
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2003 05:53
one tricky way would be to make an email account, give out the password, and upload the game to the account, so everyone could log in and get it if they really wanted

Darken the skies, we are god
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2003 06:10
yeah, that e-mail method would work but lets just say you won't have many people bothering to do that ^_^

everyday of life is a new chapter that has already been fortold but is up to the soul to capture.
Plutarck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2003 06:34
Similar to the email method, depending on the size of the game you could just email it to people, or even rig up an automated system where people send you an email and they are automatically emailed it back.

But frankly, that sucks, is very limited (due to most/many email restrictions it would have to be like less than 2mb, and you probably couldn't do it much without having your account cancelled), and wouldn't really be worth it anyway.

oooh, I totally forgot! If it is Open Source you can pretty well solve that problem via [url=www.sourceforge.net]SourceForge.net[/url]. They give you quite a bit of space and pretty well unlimited bandwidth since it is a free community service, so far as I can tell, in addition to all sorts of nice tools.

Beyond that...fact is, bandwidth costs money. The only other people who are likely willing to host it are A) community members here with websites who will offer such a service to games they like (you can always ask! it is pretty common, and if your game is good and interesting and not too big you probably won't have a problem with it), and most obviously B) the Dark Basic company itself, which often hosts demos. I don't know their policy on the matter, but especially if it is provided with source (but then you could just use sourceforge...) and is interesting/shows off the technology, they'd be willing to host it.

The absolute best way would seem to be just make it open source and go with something like sourceforge.

"My house has a 3D interface. I'm constantly losing crap, running into things, and it's always a mess."
Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2003 04:07
thanx all, i'll try

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live so when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-19 22:26:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-19 22:26:55