Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / I'm drifting away from DarkBASIC...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2003 18:26
I feel like I'm losing my interest in programming in DarkBASIC, I haven't attempted any code for a few weeks now. I feel this probably because I am new and know I will get no where trying so I don't bother. I haven't got the burning passion to be a great programmer anymore either, like catching up with the skill of respected senior programmers such as Raven, MrTAToad and others. I would like to be encouraged further, as I've come this far and hit a really thick wall, also because I've spent around £50+ for DarkBASIC Professional and I don't want another dust collecter.

Any encouragement welcome.
DarkBASIC Professional is the best programming utility.
8/10 Housewives agree!
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2003 18:59
i feel u man! i've been in this kinda position many times and i guess what's keeping me on the path of making games is the drive from birth! hey first off the best programmers don't make the best games! i also admire the skilled programmers of these forums but you don't have to be one of them to make a descent game ^_^ i can't even categorize myself as "skilled", more like "average" but i still have what it takes to make a descent game.

I think what you need to do is join a team or sumthin so you can obtain the true worth of game making. People act differently under these conditions and it might just change your mind anyways hope u make the right decision!

everyday of life is a new chapter that has already been fortold but is up to the soul to capture.
Oraculaca
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2003 19:12
At the moment I would categorize myself in the S**T category , (which you would think would crush my spirits instantly) . I think Daz that you need to think of the reasons why you wanted to write games in the first place and think of the pride you feel when you do actually finish something(no matter how small). It is also important not to over do the whole process and be filling every spare second with programming (although it sounds like some here like nothing better ) , I personally feel that if I go guns blazing into something and think of nothing else then i tail off and lose my determination to complete it because i become sick of it. Take your time and learn/code just a little a day and im sure your 'drive' will return
failing that go out and get piss*d

Not-Mr-Thumpy wrinkled his nose, it was suddenly hard to concentrate
Daz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2003 22:04
Wow, I'm not the only one. Maybe I should join one of those newby groups. Okay, thanks for the pep talk.

8/10 Housewives agree!
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2003 23:04
Join a newbie team- and if you have any instant messengers- I can chat with ya online and help ya if ya need any (its no prob- I already have tons of people IM me every day for help)

Dont go! (Rich, Im always keeping people on board for you guys )

My msn is TheBedroomProgrammer@hotmail.com on account of the button doesnt work.

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy! Oh ya, and Tat has a plugin for that!
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2003 00:39
I have a few wise words of encouragement from an old teacher of mine:

"Get off your arse and get on with it then!" (Ah... the power of words)

Current Project: Retro Compo. Entry.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2003 00:59
lmao... i'd hardly call myself a senior programmer, truth be told i've not really been programming in DarkBasic for even what - a year maybe a little over, i'd have to ask Bryce or Dext cause they'll remember
i was mostly just making art, models, media for game prior to that ... i couldn't get the hang of programming.

It wasn't until i met Alexis, and she show'd me a way to plan out my programs - you'd sit down and plan out how the program should react as a flow chart, from that i found it alot easier to understand ... not just what functions did but more to the point why they did it

until i actually was helped, i never relised how simplistic programming could be (^_^)
its all about logically thinking your way around a problem.

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2003 01:30
Honestly Raven, that is such a tedious approach to programming, you've obviously never had the fun of spending hours programming only to realise that your whole program is screwed because of some simple design flaw you could have fixed in 5 minutes if you had planned it - I have and I learned

Current Project: Retro Compo. Entry.
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2003 01:59
@Raven and Rob K: lol that's my problem, I don't plan.
@Daz: I couldn't care less!!! lol jks. We've all been discouraged at some point or another, if nothing else, wait a week or so and your spirits will be up again. I find that looking at screens and demos of projects that are BETTER than mine re-awaken the passion, and I start programming again... until I hit the next wall that is. Sure I bounce right off, but it takes me a while to get up again

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2003 02:11
tedious or not Rob, its the best way i've found - and i've now learnt howto do this within my head along a good few lines at a time (which helps when dealing with OOLs)

i mean i very rarely plan alot of things unless i know i have the time ... most of the time i'm very thankful for the fact i'm capable of sitting there and within minutes thinking of atleast one way around a situation
my biggest problem is that my brain gets ahead of itself, and i make alot of stupid mistakes i spend hours weaning out

but then again i'll never be a true programmer, just a hobbiest which i'm very happy with (^_^)

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2003 02:18
Think of a good idea, draw it out on paper, and then do it!
when u design just think as though there r no limits, and you will acomplish what you want

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Ive had those moments when nothing works and you want to just give up on all the programming but i had started this game with the utter intentions of finishing it and i was passionate about finishing it even if it was the rest of my life so i kept pushing on for it was not going to become a thrown out project.
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2003 06:43
The satisfaction is the feedback you get from a finished product, write a little game and see for yourself - there's few greater rewards in life than being treated as a god - if only for the time it takes to read that one positive reply...

Pneumatic Dryll, Outrageous epic cleric of EQ/Xev
God made the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Daz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2003 18:44
Thanks all for the comments. What I think my problem is that I've got nothing to aim for. When I go through the website and look at the tutorials included with the software (some like face, for example, don't work), I look at them and think "Wow, eventually I can do this!", then I look at the source and theres stuff I wouldn't dream of doing, such as complicated maths (well it's complicated for me). Plus the fact that I'm waiting for patches 4 & 5 to be released doesn't help because I could start working on a model animation then patch 4 comes out and can't use my .msl and .3ds files. I think once patch 5 is released I'll start work on something then but only then.

Bye...

8/10 Housewives agree!
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2003 19:40
Well, why not try doing a small something in DBC? its not buggy is it?

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, why not try doing a small something in DBC? its not buggy is it?

Cuz he spent 50$ on DBPro... Wasting more money is pointless.

Toughest line of codecol$=asc(left(Pcol$)),1+str$(rev)+chr(80)+left(right(mid(name$),1),1)
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2003 02:31
'Wasting more money is pointless.

what money would he be wasting? the money he used to buy DBPro?..anyway, he can use DB until patch 4 comes out, cant he?

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Daz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2003 18:34
I've already got DBC. Don't use it because it went quite buggy when I had it for awhile (the screen kept on flashing).

8/10 Housewives agree!
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2003 22:58
SF2000 ( available at www.edzup.co.uk for more info) was coded in DB on and off for over 18 months =). The thing is if you want to complete the project you will come back to it.

-EdzUp
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2003 00:16
'I've already got DBC. Don't use it because it went quite buggy when I had it for awhile (the screen kept on flashing).'

That sometimes happens when you code it wrong.

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2003 00:36
and it sometimes happens when you code it right and DarkBasic is just having one of those days...

i mean after all ya'll know that DarkBasic is a women right? you gotta treat her right, say just the right words, do something flashy and at the end of the nite you might get lucki ... else you rush in, fumble about with all the lines everyone else uses and wonder why she throws a drink in your face

sad lil analagy i know, however unfortunatly very adept (^_^) and very heartfelt after a few bottles of like this syrupie drink ... i think its some form of rum

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2003 01:54
lol

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2003 04:47
lol so if i carried the analogy is DBC a teen princess and
DBP is a real WOMAN!

lol

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2003 15:29
?...lol

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2003 21:16
lmao i'd say DBpro is more like a wife ... in a bad marriage

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2003 02:10
I havent known her that long!

its no where near the 7 year itch yet

Daz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2003 11:59
How come you guys always go WAY off topic? Ah that's how I like it. I think I got my mojo back, thanks guys

8/10 Housewives agree!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2003 15:35
because we have very short attention spans

AGamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2003 23:09
That's true an

There's no game made for you except the one's made your self
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2003 00:31
yes

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2003 01:03
Raven yea we do So did you guys catch the game last night? ()

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy! Oh ya, and Tat has a plugin for that!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2003 01:40
got some game... several times last nite into this morning - got bored around 8-9ish when a boyfriend came home to find me - at which point i decided it would be a good idea to go for a morning jog

LLX
Years of Service
User Offline
why dont you ping me at my msn messenger at lurkerlordx@hotmail.com, or aim at LurkerlordX, or icq at 42314548 and ill send you the alpha build of my fighting game's code its not into the complex mat yet but does some nice things and i'll give you a nice slow walk through of how to navigate it and a little 2d walking game, after you get primed with those you should feel pretty confident.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2003 20:50
WYSIWYP - What you see is what you program. ie. Flow charts are for people who think they can read.

Back to IF and HAM until DBP is worthy (apart from the VB plugins I did for the IDE I haven't actually used DBP since I got it 2 days into it's release ).

Cheers

Damn. That is the first reply on this forum in about a year that I haven't done from my bed....

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-18 14:29:50
Your offset time is: 2024-09-18 14:29:50