Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / gameSpace

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2002 07:02
gameSpace is back, and has been rebuilt from the ground up!
what kinda sadden myself was I had to jump from DB into VB, reason for this being that I needed VBs quick interface development - if anyone remember 1.0's Gui development time then they've REALLY been using DB a long time hehee
However I also now require the compatiblity that only VB can provide with creating DLLs.

if anyone remembers the old gui, then perhaps if people want i'll be adding the old style - personally i'd like to add atleast the menu system style
but for now i'm concentrating on making this product quickly and useable.

Currently I've only developed 3 brushes, grid snapping, editing and camera movement. As well as basic compiliation to Quake1 and FmtBSP formats
The next task over the weekend is to add hollowing and booleans (i'm not calling it CSG as that is built upon compile for Quake/Half-Life formats only ... FmtBSP works very differently)

This is all being developed from an artists point of view, with the actual development area being paramount!
for this reason the lower icon tab menus are hideable, and most will become menu icons (similar to trueSpace)
The plan for the Texture Library is for a side Slide menu, which can be resized for the user

As you can see from the screenshot, even at 640x480 you will still have a decent amount of space
any comments on this are welcome, and possible format supporting will be taken into consideration.

just incase anyone is wondering i'm using DirectX rather than OpenGL - I know that OpenGL is easier, however I like Dx's commands and such better.

"Official Statement"

We would like the beta testing on this to be closed, so we're asking for people who have a decent level of experience within worldcraft, qoole, quark, radient and akin products - plus system specs for testing this.
also please note that this is more for serious testers than people wanting to try out a new program as we do need serious feedback... and as it is a closed beta - that means all information, materials, etc... are not to be shared!

Each beta tester will be given a fully active version, and a free copy of gameSpace (full) - so you will have a fully working version right up until the end of development!

for testing application - send the following to fubarmt@eidosnet.co.uk

- Name
- Computer ( CPU Speed/Type, System Ram, Graphics Card, DirectX, OS )
- Return Email
- FMTau Forum Name

We will need you to be a member of our forums to make sure we have a quick response time from one of the members of FMTau

Thank you
Raven Vegeta (Robert Lettan) - FMTau Labs

Please note this is serious beta testing (well technically alpha) and your systems may be put at risk, and we'd like you to understand that testing any product brings inherint risks - so for your own safty, please locate a working copy of your OS installation CD and backup all work that you do not wish to loose before applying ... this is just so you dont forget later, however there will be several reminders. Not to put people off the quality - but as we're not resposible for your damages or losses, we'd still feel bad if something did happen
[b] New interactive driving system... i like my new blue and black steering wheel [b]
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2002 17:37
Oki just a small update after several hours of work (yup sleep deprivation is a past time for me )

Basically the score here is this... current min spec are quite high as i've not optimised anything, there are no special 3d enhancements or such.

x86 300Mhz 128kb Processor (if your using a 512kb or higher cache you can use a 200Mhz processor without slowdown)
32Mb Ram (64Mb on Win2K/WinXP)
DirectX 8.1 (recommend 8.1b, WILL NOT WORK with 9.x)
will work on WinMe/XP without major problems, however I do need testers for 98/98SE/2K

Right now i'm working on the boolean operations, which i started for milkshape a while back (given to mete and then backshelfed when he released 1.6.4 - so expect it in 1.6.5 if he can get that bug out of it )

Hope to have a major update later today

[b] New interactive driving system... i like my new blue and black steering wheel [b]
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2002 22:33
Wow, I like the UI look. Is it a custom control? - as I know what VB's default ones look like!

I'm using an OfficeXP style set of controls, they look rather snazzy. And now onto your program.

So, is a CShop stlye 3D modeller?

I love Star Trek.
Especially the Episodes with Starships in.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2002 23:49
The UI is standard Win9x Library with some minor extensions
I've not used Cshop5 properly, so can't really say if its the same or similar - however the emphasis is on being easi to control.
As this is the World Crafter of the tool, it is being based upon the likes of Qoole & Worldcraft - so you can expect similar ease of use, however i'm also adding in model program style upgrades.

There is still a great amount to finish before it is ready for release. However the 1.0.0.b (beta release) will be ready in a few days ...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2002 11:01
After the small set back... i'm back on track and rebuilding the engine in C++ with DirectX 8.1 and MFC's

anyways basically the Beta Team will begin testing over the next week, probably next friday - maybe before.

so anyone who wants to join in best sign up asap

Holy jumping mother of god NOOOO!!!...
Ahem I mean, I'll think about it
Drakportalen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2002 20:15
Drules...Sweet......

www.drakportalen.dot.nu
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2002 02:58
i'll have a few screenshots either very late tonight or early tommorrow of gameSpace 1.0.2.a

the beta team is set to receive thier copies a week friday, hopefully that will give me time to fix the booleans bug and add a few features...
>> Current Readme (written by paul bahk)

gameSpace Readme.txt Oct 9th, 2002

gameSpace is a trademark of FMTau Labs, LLC. Copyright 2001-2002. All rights reserved.

gameSpace is a graphical editing package, for use in the creation of complete
game graphics ... in association with DarkBasic Pro

1) Installing gameSpace 1.0.1.a

Run the setup program (gS-101a.exe) and follow the on-screen instructions.

2) Launching gameSpace
gameSpace can be started by clicking the gameSpace icon in the
programs menu.

3) Configuring gameSpace

When running gameSpace for the first time the program will be set to the defualt setting.
You can configure the program however using the help menu and global options.
If you have any questions aboutthe configuration changed and resortation to defualt setting for gameSpace then please visit the FMTau Beta Forum available from the FMTau Website.
A set of Reference files will be developed as soon as there is a chance

4) What's New in Version 1.0.1.a

- DirectX 8.1 3D Render Window
- 3 Basic Primatives
-- Box
-- Cylinder
-- Quad
- gSp [gameSpace project format] v1.0.0.a
- Editing Tools
-- Vertex
-- Edge
-- Polygon

5) Planned for Version 1.0.2.a

- DirectBSP Runtime DLL Engine**
- Quake 1 Entity Set
- Quake 1 Compile Tool
- QBSP
- QVIS
- QRAD
- Editing Tools
-- Hide/Show Edges
-- Face [update on the polygon tool]
- Render Window Enhancements
-- Grid
-- Object Selection

** DirectBSP is a special Runtime Engine which will have plugins developed per engine it supports. What it will do have is a cutdown version of a game engine - suchas Quake as a plugin which is tied into the DirectBSP Engine. This allows gives developers the oppertunity to develop and test without the actual product.
Current supported engines in development
- Quake & QuakeII
- FMTau DirectBSP
The full source is available within the SDK/DBSP/... directory of gameSpace, due to the GPU on these engines is available with ALL versions. However DirectBSP SDK is only available with gameSpace Developer Edition.

6) For additional gameSpace or level editing information check out:

http://www.FMTau-Labs.tk
http://www.DarkBasicPro.com
http://www.DarkBasic.co.uk

Legal notices
-------------
gameSpace is a trademark of FMTau Labs L.L.C., copyright 2001-2002, all rights reserved.

Under no circumstances will FMTau Labs be liable for any damages
or losses arising from the use or misuse of this software. If you use
this software, you agree to these terms.

I have mostly been checking out the source from Qoole 99 today, so not much done.
I'm still not sure howto tie in each peice of the program and the aspects - World Builder, Modeler & 2D Art Package are all seperate right now... perhaps over the next few hours i'll figure out howto combine them

Holy jumping mother of god NOOOO!!!...
Ahem I mean, I'll think about it

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 20:28:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 20:28:50