Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Character Rigging Tutorial Video For FPSC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2005 21:33 Edited at: 5th Feb 2006 13:52
I made a seven minute video tutorial on how to rig a character for FPSC in 3ds max. This tutorial is for intermediate/advanced users, so I assume a basic knowledge of 3ds max.

If you're some punk kid who just downloaded 3ds max from bittorrent hoping to create Doom4 with a few mouse clicks, this will probably be over your head.

But for people who really want to know what to do with the animation files provided by The Game Creators, this is for you.

Download here, 40mb:
http://hyrumark.zftp.com/FPSC/FPSCRigging.zip

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My FPSC stuff at http://hyrumark.zftp.com/FPSC/hyrumarkfpsc.htm
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
You deserve a standing ovation here. Goodie goodie, great work.

I'm pretty sure I know everything. Doubts are something rare in me and I am never wrong, as this signature can prove.
Rockdrala
Years of Service
User Offline
I emailed rich, I hope he stickies this... awesome job bond...

Those who fly low hurt least when they fall...
Shadows Back
Years of Service
User Offline
bond can you tell me were to get 3ds max ur what ever its called and how much it will cost please?

Shadow
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
You're not gonna like this...its about $3500 for the software, yeppers. This is a professional software package aimed at commercial game developers, arhcitectural visualisation, and pre-vis.

But you can download a 30 day demo from Autodesk.
Rockdrala
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2005 23:13 Edited at: 26th Dec 2005 23:20
Bond1 AS PROMISED here is your 43 realistic floor segments,

Lots of good stuff marble, wood, etc...

registration is free to download if from my site... vbut i have edited the website to automatically activate your account when you register... so you dont have to wait on a email.. just register and login... and download

http://support.studio505.net/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=88

Shadows Back
Years of Service
User Offline
wow yeah that is alout of money probly worth it tho lol i think ill just download the demo. and think about buying it later on.

Shadow
DJ Professor K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2005 23:35
congrats on your job you deserv a [cookie] (ok, since no cookie emotions in this forum, hera ya go: )

it's good to see peopel like him around here

My love is seperated in 2 parts, 1 of them is 3ds Max 7, the other; FPSC.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2005 07:20
Good tut Bond....leaves no room for people to error really. We really should talk to the Mods here about making a tutorials secion that has to be moderated(like when we all first joined) to keep out spam and questions which could be asked in the models media section. This way we could keep a very clean and orginized tut section.
Rockdrala
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2005 09:09 Edited at: 27th Dec 2005 09:10
I didnt think he would make it when i begged him too i kept my promise though, i know he likes those floor segments

Rockdrala
Years of Service
User Offline
For yall that dont how to manage the panda soft direct x export plugin I made a screenshot...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2005 23:47
Since there are no cookiess.

Clicky

Merranvo, The Cool One

Anti-Noob Justice League, an ANJL of Mercy.
gbuilder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2005 04:42
Thanks bond1.
Very useful..

gbuilder.

SEMPRON 2400+, 512mb Ram, ATI RADEONâ„¢ 9550 256MB DDR Graphics card, WindowsXP Professional.
Rockdrala
Years of Service
User Offline
okay bond, now you should the quick and dirty on unwrapping, texturing, and exporting to FPSC...

himynameisali
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2005 23:47
Merranvo - You are very awkward character ...

...The piercing radient moon, The storming of poor june, All the life running through her hair...
[ Proudly and formally Ali M ]
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Merranvo

Im not hep on the
Quote: "Anti-Noob Justice League"
. Could you please explain it. Sounds interesting.

Even the persn that knows the most started out a novice with many questions. Patients and tolorance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. We all have something to earn.
webhead
Years of Service
User Offline
bond1 ,hi can you help i cant seem to download your tutorial which i need badly,please can you help as i would love to understand how to do this properly in max many thanks.
webhead
Years of Service
User Offline
whats up with the link then it wont get file????????????????????????????????????????????????????/
webhead
Years of Service
User Offline
does anyone help on this forum??????????????????/

if so can somebody host the file so i can downloa it as my machine wont let me get the file above from bond.

please somebody
ironjohn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2006 22:10
That was great...!

I'd pay for others if longer and more detailed...

P4 3.9 7800GTX 2X75-Raptor 20.1 DVI LCD
DBPro-FPSC-MS3D-Fragmotion-MS.Net-CS2-3dsMax8(legal)
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Really? hmmmm...

Thanks, glad you found it useful. If you have any questions though don't be afraid to ask.

Danninator x 2006
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2006 14:23
well im really new at 3ds max so im gonna ask how do i use wireframe mode?
Danninator x 2006
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2006 21:03
Thx alot for making this! really helpd!
ultraplex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2006 12:37
Hey bond1 great tut ,btw i see u have the stand alone licence dont tell me u paid $3500 for it......

Support your local Riker 9 Chapter.
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2006 05:32 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2006 16:36
Well no I've been using max since version 5 when I decided to put my money where my mouth is, so with the upgrade pricing it has probably come to more than that actually!

If you're referring to obtaining it by "other" means...well I'm sure there are plenty around here who have done just that. Judging from the amount of email questions I get, I highly doubt that someone is willing to drop that much money on something they don't know how to use..

High quality models for FPSC at http://hyrumark.zftp.com/FPSC/hyrumarkfpsc.htm
3DMAXIMUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello Mr. "max" bond1,

Does your tutorial work with Max5 ?

Kind Regards
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2006 16:38 Edited at: 5th Feb 2006 13:52
Quote: "Does your tutorial work with Max5 ? "

Yes it will! But with max 5 Character Studio was a separate install, just make sure that you have the Character Studio plugin installed and you will be fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paakor
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok sry for this... But how can i open character models? plz people don't be mad at me! This is hard cos my english isn't so good and everything is on english

Free Chechen!
webhead
Years of Service
User Offline
well i would like to see your tutorial if it exists because i cant download it clicked your link then even save as and it never comedown so i reckon this thread should be closed and got rid of and especially as nobody want to help me , what a waste of time.
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2006 23:39
Quote: "Judging from the amount of email questions I get, I highly doubt that someone is willing to drop that much money on something they don't know how to use.. "

exactly...

its like when they ask for tutorials that are on the cd, and stuff thats clearly written, you just know they "obtained" it.

Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2006 23:54
Very usefull tutorial, thanks! Where can I download the biped file provided by the game creators? oh and the right panda settings, where can i find that ? thanks!!

great tutorial,

.::Studying game design at the moment::.
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Turoid, the biped file and pandasoft settings are on this page, under "Character Studio Files"

http://www.fpscreator.com/downloads.html

To webhead:
I have no idea why you're having so much trouble downloading the file, others are downloading this every day, and I just did myself from 2 different computers at different locations. I'd help you if I knew what the problem was...is there someone else that can download this for you and burn it to a cd?

foxking
Years of Service
User Offline
Merranvo EXACTLY how many forum's are you on? 348 I belive....

The More You Study The More You Know, The More You know The More You Forget, The More You Forget The Less You Know,
So Why Study?
Krillin 1986
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey bond1, I am having a problem... I make my character, use the .bip file for animation, fix all the vertexes, and it looks good! Then, I export it, still, good! I load it into entity maker, and the thing is face down on the ground! What am I doing wrong? I cannot rotate the BIPED in max either, it just keeps going to the same position... Any tips would be appreciated!
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2006 18:20
hey bond1,

i dont know if this has been asked before, but im having trouble with the panda x exporter, can you check out my "free scientist model" thread please? the video was great, but when it came to exporting it, you just cancelled and went back, when there is another window that comes up after, maybe its something on that?

thanks

-Jon

RedCore Software + Design, Click on image to go to My website.
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
First to Krillin: Make sure the "left handed axis" button is checked in the Panda exporter.

Jonfletc: The settings I use for the Panda exporter are the ones posted on the FPS Creator main website. If you have any problems pop me an email and I'll try and walk you through it.

Varix
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, great tutorial. I have 3ds and gamespace light. Could you post a tutorial on how to make the character meshes in 3ds? I know how to do it in Gamespace, but i have no idea on how to do it in 3ds.
Zilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 10:47
@bond1
Quote: "video tutorial on how to rig a character for FPSC in 3ds max"

i am a cinema 4d user, so i have to ask you:
the program in your video: is this 3ds max or character studio? or is character studio a part of the standard 3ds max program?
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 14:26
Character Studio is an addon that lets you use bipeds to animate.

Zilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2006 12:23
@Higgins
but it's a standard part of 3ds max, isn't it?

http://preview.videosystems.com/mag/video_autodesk_ds_max/ ->
Quote: "One of the best additions is that Character Studio is now part of the 3ds Max program. No longer available separately as a plug-in, this excellent animation tool rocks at creating character rigs."
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2006 15:08
You used to need to have a cdkey to use it. But you no longer have to, as it comes with the newer version of Max.

dark heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2006 09:20 Edited at: 17th Jun 2006 03:59
err bond, i think i might of got ur tuturial from another sight, so i hope your the right guy to say this to, i clicked the mesh, i clicked that button with the person on it and the circal in the midel then i pressed the blue thing and initialized it, but when it happened my guy disapared, and he cauld only come back in editable mesh mode.

plus when i loaded the "-wat-eva-it-was.fig" from charactor studio,
my guy diddn't snap into persision and his limbs body diddn't follow the biped. what do i need to do to get him to stick to the biped, cos i did inisialize and it diddn't stick to his limbs and stuff.

btw- hey! i happen to want to make a doom 4! check it out!

edit-can someone plz answer this!

Attachments

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 04:10 Edited at: 17th Jun 2006 04:14
Bond, A question about when you import characters into FPSC.

Ok All of my animations look fine in 3dsMax. They export fine and what have you. When they get into fpsc there are vert's sticking in places they should'nt....wile the chars going though it's animations no less.

On the panda site it only briefly eludes to this problem and says:
Quote: "Exported model with skinning comes out spikey during animation:

Make sure that each vertex has a maximum of 4 bones assigned to it and the total summed weight is 1.0"

Well im not seeing that any vert is assigned to more then like 3 bones max( say in pelvis area ) and dont really know what they mean by making all sum up to 1.0. Ive tried setting each bones verts to 1.0....dividing the number of bones into 1 and placeing that value...and lastly dividing all verts into 1 and trying that. If you kinda know what I'm talking about here or have a solution it would be greatly appreciated.

Edit Notes: I'm using max 8 now and ive updated my panda exporter to the version specifically for max8. Or if you know a section on the Auto desk documentaion that deals with this ill look there if you know what file its in. I've searched the many files that come with 8 and cant find a section dealing with Weight propertis though I see it listed all over the place.....kinda frustrating.

matafix
Years of Service
User Offline
wow!!!
thanks, thanks, thanks- it wery help

hi-hi

Attachments

bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm following Bond1 tutorial on how to rig a character. It all works until I get to the part to use the modifier - Phisique.

I'm doing something wrong?

Project FPS - started development.

Attachments

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Its easiest to turn on wireframe view and click on the COM (center of mass) after pressing initialize, its the pyriamid-looking thing inside the pelvis.

But....this look like a robot type model. I wouldn't even bother rigging this with physique at all, you don't want deformation, you probably want rigid movement. I would just link each body part to the biped using the link tool.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom went to college."
MT Inc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 02:28
hi bond1 that was a very good tutorial good job i sanded you an email can you please reply me through mail. thanks good job again.
cheers,

M.T.I

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 08:31:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 08:31:19