Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Faster FPSs Please!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2005 00:36
I have a game, and when you get into the middle of the map your fps drops to about 100, making everything much slower. I have 100 different cubes here, how couold I make the fps stay more consistant?

Am I dead yet?
SimSmall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2005 01:31
You're complaining about 100 fps?!! You should try using mine where nothing at all, gives about 80...

if 100 frames a sec ins't smooth enough, you should probably tweak your code a little, even 50 should be plenty...

...maybe one day I'll finish a project
super skull
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2005 01:42
isnt 100 fps even more than the eye can see?
crighton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2005 03:10
dam, 100 fps, i would love my little project to sit on 100fps.

usually it sits on 70 fps, then when i have about 30 good and evil guys running around building houses and evil god raising and lowering ground, my fps can go from 2 to 32.

And the human eye can only capture about 30fps( i think).

aye!
SimSmall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2005 14:57
The human eye sees 40 - which coincidentally, is the default sync rate for both versions of DB

30 is the frame rate for TV programs and films

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2005 15:43
No, the human eye sees as 24 fps, that's why tv's and games have a higher fps. Games should sit at around 60fps, where tv's should be around 24-25 fps.

SimSmall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2005 15:58
If this link is anything to go by, apparently we're all wrong, and we can actually see more than 200! (Near the end of this article)

http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2005 16:13
yeah, we can, but we stop seeing images separatelly if they go about 24 fps.

If the fps is <24 then we see each image, if it is above then it looks smooth, it's called persistance of vision. (me thinks)

Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2005 16:37
it turns out according to google that the human eye see's around 16-24 frames per second.

Our aim is to keep the loo's clean, your aim can help.
Me!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2005 16:54 Edited at: 28th Dec 2005 17:00
that article is wrong in some respects, I don`t know who wrote it but according to them strobe lights don`t work, damn! and there was me using them for a living, also if anybody has flourescent lights in their home, they flicker at 50 cycles, so when you are wandering about the house at night you might have noticed your movement wasn`t so responsive cos you are only running at 50fps DUH!

the section of the eye that handles peripheral vision works in black and white, if you look at a tv screen (old style crt screen...not tft or plasma) from the corner of your eye then you can notice the flicker because the response time for non-colour vision is faster, but its an electrochemical reaction and it takes a limited time to respond, it`s just faster than colour vision reactions, as Zotoaster said, the time lag in the reaction causes persistance of vision, so you cant see any discrete changes that happen faster than about 24fps for colour or 38fps for black and white.

if you have a flourescent light in the house and a younger person who owns a spinning top then try spinning it under just flourescent light, get it going over 50 rpm and watch it slow down, as it changes speed it appears to run backwards at times, thats because your eye can only get an image when the light is on, the light is actualy flickering 50 times per second but you can`t detect that, but the side effect is that at some speeds the markings on the top have not got around to where they where when the light was on the last time they came around, so you only see where it almost got too, the next time it has slowed down some more, so its further back etc, thats because the light is only on part of the time, in machine shops they have normal bulbs over the machine tools in holders, because they are incandescant they continue to glow as the AC drops in and out and provide constant light, this avoids the risk of someone putting their hand on a machine tool running at 50 rpm, they can see its running under constant incandescent light due to blurring from persistance of vision, if it was just flourescent and the tool was doing multiples of 50rpm it would look static and could cause an accident (just like the timing mark on an engine looks to be in one place under a strobe light)

what an higher fps WILL do is make your positioning in a virtual world appear more accurate, since you can be in more inbetween positions at an higher fps, it allows you to position yourself more accuratley, for example, if someone is at 20fps and needs to move 5 world units to maintain the correct game speed, then someone at 100fps can position themselves to 1 world unit accuracy, both people can`t see anything untoward as they move about due to persistance of vision, moving in a straight line both screens look the same, but if you try to jump through a gap that requires accuracy the person at 100 fps will find it easier than the person running at 20fps because rather than only being able to jump from x positions 1,5,10,15 etc he can jump from positions 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 etc, 20fps player wonders why he finds it hard to hit that narrow gap, it`s like the game doesn`t respond for him (it does, but only at the wider spacing), 100fps player thinks 20fps player makes lame excuses since the gameplay LOOKS the same.

the difference is in precision, not what you are seeing, same goes for aiming or anything else requiring precision, 20fps player can only aim in 5 degree jumps, making long range shots almost impossible, 100fps player aims in 1 degree jumps, making him 5x more accurate, so if you want your players to have all things equal then you have to limit them to exactly the same frames per second, otherwise the player with the higher framerate has the advantage (as any online gamer knows) roughly the same thing applies to the speed of network connections, faster connection makes you more accurate/gives you the edge (although how fast the server responds to packets can affect things, if the server is only as responsive as the slowest connection then the gameplay becomes equal for all players).

[EDIT] gawd I ramble on after a few sherries

Windows: 32 bit extension/graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit OS originally coded for a 4bit CPU, written by a 2bit company that can't stand 1bit of competition, now available in 64bits.
MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " 100fps player aims in 1 degree jumps, making him 5x more accurate,"

still, 100 fps is waaaaay to high and it shouldnt matter as much.
5x more accurate is only compared to twenty. Fifty or sixty fps which is the usual fps isnt that bad.

[img]http://www.savefile.com/files/4182721 [/img]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 11:20:54
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 11:20:54