Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 06:48 Edited at: 30th Dec 2005 07:07
I'm trying to make a god game. I really dont know much about them except how to do the top down view.

I need to know how to do the ai because in god games with the different types of citz and the armies and the rankings and stuff but i think i can figure that out.

I also need to know about the models, i know that i just need tiny ones but there really arent any tutorials on tiny models. should i just blur the cit texture and resize the object?

and the buildings. Since you'll be able to make buildings i'm going to have a dropdown list. When you select a building it is positioned at your cursor as a scaffold and a word appears above it being the name of the bulding. How would you make the mouse/god hand go into a 3d world? would it just be the mouse position xyz and if it doesnt equal the total ground height then it equals the ground height. also how would you tell the citz closest to a wood source theres a building there.

Also the military. you can order a draft but otherwise citizens go to the military building on their own accord. How would you say to do that?

warring tribes- Since there will be more than one city; the tribes will need to fight to prevent over-expansion. How would you tell armies to do this? At that how would you label an army as an army? they would have to get together by themselves.

i dont want the answers to all of these questions. Right now i'm looking more for a tutorial or example of a god game.
[edit]
also this is entirely unrelated to god games but... i havent use pictures in this forum and i dont know how to put a pic from a file on here...

santah my god, theyre real! *santa faints*
red m&m:oh my god, hes real!*m&m faints*
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 07:28
Black and White is a game where you play God. But what you're describing is an RTS with a God View.

A lot of the RTSes don't use models but sprites... i'm sure there are some that use models now.

MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
i've played b&w. the game im describing is alot like b&w2 which i'm really pissed at because my comp wont run it... Anyway the only difference is the animal.

santah my god, theyre real! *santa faints*
red m&m:oh my god, hes real!*m&m faints*
MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 07:39 Edited at: 31st Dec 2005 05:17
not saying that i'm trying to copy black and white, its going to be different. Instead of scaffolds theres a drop-down list same with miracles. also the armies ai etc.

[img]http://www.savefile.com/files/4182721 [/img]
Dodic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 16:30
i hear someone call it "god" game for the first time.

i realy dont know much about them...

MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
really the problem for me is the god function. Like a volcanoe made by god. I'm going to have it so that you select the top of a mountain, your screen rumbles and it explodes. only problem is i dont even know how to do an area. Are there any examples of god games or something? even two towns of people that do... stuff; would be good.

Dmodus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 23:58
Sounds certainly like a RTS to me, or are you wanting to create something more like sim city? Sorry, never played B&W et al, never really appealed to me.
Dodic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 02:45
like a strategy game ?

Dodic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 02:48
if so , then db is great for at least a part of it becouse matrix command is great for making terrains , and moddels i can make (for example...) . ONLY PROBLEM I HAD WAS UNITS - how many of your soldiers SELECTING WITH MOUSE LIKE you select folders in windows with holing left key , and grabbing inside a box . Tdk made me a "sort" of solluction , witch wasn`t perfect , but worked (that`s what i wanted) , and i easily got to my next problem , of how making only "SELECTED" units move , and then i just stopped on that game...(unfortionalty , i had (still have) some preaty good models for a strategy game i made....)

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 03:28
A god game is different. In a god game you can manipulate the land, create volcanoes, and other things. You also do have control over what buildings to build and control of units. As far as a selection tool, if your gonna use the traditional box selection I suggest using this function first off.

Then you would want to do something like this

Then as far as selecting your units you would check to see if the 2d coordinates of the players are within mxpos, mypos, mousex(), and mousey() using the object screen x(object num) and object screen y(object num) commands.

As far as was Dodic said about using a matrix for your land, that's probably your best option, but if you come up with a new idea then feel free to do something different.

MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
im going to have a more... "realistic" god game. You can select armies but thats the extent of it. i'd prefer .x objects for maps. I notice though that in black and white, there are text files that say the position, city, type etc. How do you call upon a text file? Like for colored cube...
255,0,0:cube:5:90
255,0,0 is rgb, cube is the shape, 5 is speed and 90 is size. how would you do something like that?

Dmodus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 12:53
Here's an idea, forgive me if you've already thought about it. But why not have the ai of the armies etc alterable, for example, you set the behaviour of your army or people, so one group could be pascifists, the other group agressive expansionists, religious zealots etc, not sure how this is coming across, but it would almost be like a game of life, which it sounds more like anyway.
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 14:31
To open a text file (or any other file):
open file to read filenr, filename$

To read data from a text file:
read byte filenr, var
read word filenr, var
read float filenr, var#
read long filenr, var
read string filenr, var$

To get the data of such a string, you'll have to create a function and your own syntax for it.
like, the color, then ":" then the shape, then ":" again and then the size.

something like:
4294967295:cube:10
would create a white cube with size 10.
MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 19:38 Edited at: 31st Dec 2005 19:42
How would you declare it
Quote: "then the shape, then ":" again and then the size."
How do you make your own syntax?(i understand you have tomake a function as object, shape and size)

After you read a string like this
mayan:basic:50,50,50:5
model type;color scheme;xyz;size
Would you already have to have a mayan model loaded already and then make it? or could you have a line that says
x=(text file 1st word)
load object x
If so how would you do that?

[edit]
Also i have no clue what an rts is lol.

Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 22:57
Are you using Classic or Pro?

MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
dbpro.
Here is what i plan to do for the game-
other godless empires trying to take control of eachother and you
you can ally these other empires- if you 'help' them in some way then they are influenced by you. once a different nation if influenced they become under your control.

able to create meteor strikes, animal attacks, volcanoes and other geological effects along with lightning, pyroclastic flows(have to click on a volcanoe while its erupting) and apocalyptic events for fun like- the earth exploding, supervolcanoes, raining lava and other things. You can also smite people aka kill them and can start diseases from rotting meat, animals or insects, and give someone a disease taht spreads fast.

Buildings as-
Stables, farms, barracks, castles, arches, bridges, walls, coliseums, aqueducts, roads, 6 different peasant houses with3 colour schemes, 6 different middle class with 3 different colour schemes, 3 different high status buildings with 3 different colour schemes, 3 different city types (roman, greek, egyptian), other specialized buildings.

god's playground (nothing like the one in b&w)
bowling alley, torch the people, animal fighting, forests that regenerate when you press a button, able to create people, unlimited rescources, instant build for buildings

this is just a basic layout and right now its.... i wouldnt say simple but i'm going to add more stuff like missions.

Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2006 04:00
It's good that you have it planned out... but you need to focus on one thing you want to do and experiment with code. When you have problems then we can help you.

MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
okay, well first of all i'm focusing on loading a landscape, turning it into a matrix, making a volcanoe object below the desired area, and slowly moving it upward while preforming frames with the lava flow.

Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2006 04:50
Quote: "okay, well first of all i'm focusing on loading a landscape, turning it into a matrix,"

Ok... right there you said you want to make a matrix... have you looked at and experimented with the matrix commands that are listed in the help files?

Quote: "making a volcanoe object"

Have you experimented with a 3D drawing program to make models for your game?

Quote: "below the desired area,and slowly moving it upward"

This will be learned when you look at the matrix commands.

Quote: "while preforming frames with the lava flow."

That's another experiment in a 3D drawing program. Making a model that animates and playing that animation with the "play object" command which is also in the help files under 3D Commands.

We can't really help you unless you try some things out yourself.

MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2006 05:02 Edited at: 1st Jan 2006 05:14
i'm not asking to help with that i'm saying thats what i'm focusing on. I know how to play and object. one thing i dont know is when you turn something into a matrix, does it keep its textures?
[edit]
Actually i dont really know why i said turn it into a matrix lol... i just heard it was more compatible...

MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
well... i just learned a lesson. shutup until you kno what your talking about. I need to know how to create the arrays to raise the mesh after i make the object into a mesh, not matrix. I'm going to make a function that has the center of the volcanoe, the height to raise the core to, the "crater" size in the center, and the max distance that the particles/ash fly. I just dont know how to calculate shapes from flat meshes.

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2006 17:46
Why dont you model the objects in a modeller and then load into DBP. You dont actually have to create objects in DBP, and vertex edit them.

around here.. normal's just a setting on a hair dryer
MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
i need to vertex edit them because of the volcano, meteor and landslide functions, unless i wanted to make frames of a volcano popping up everywhere on the map and then play one of them... also because your able to see the changes and unlike most games they wont just dissapear.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 13:23:11
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 13:23:11