Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Outdoor Challenge (small world test)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2006 23:12
I am looking for opinions and ideas for my landscape. Trees, grasses, animations and the sort. I am curious the fps people will be getting on slightly older machines. I am still far from a completed game, and yet it has been over a year now since starting this project. This isn't the full game world, but just a subsection of one of many forests I have been building. I usually start here to test new things before putting the into the game itself.

Here is a link to the landscape demo.
http://webpages.charter.net/bjoneal/demo.zip

A screen shot for anyone who can't run the demo.

Thanks to anyone with time to test it.
All feedback is greatly welcomed.

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2006 23:24
Cool nice screen

Experienced DB http://www.greatgames3d.com (work in progress site)
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 03:14
Thats some amazing stuff you got there
Can I use those trees? They are real decent!
Cookyzue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 04:42
I got an average of about 30 on a AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+ 1.37 gigs of ram also the water flickers when you move(set camera range problem?) Nice job!

MCK Games
Unjust1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 15:27
Cookyzue: May I enquire the type of video card you are using? Also when you say the water flickers, do you mean at the edges, or the entire plain? One last question, did the time based movement and animations appear smooth still or is it jerking? Thank you friends for helping me test this out.

Xenocythe: I am not opposed to you using the model, however the base is a highly modified treemagik model. Trunk texture may have been also, though I cannot remember. I know TGC owns Aliencodec now, so it may not be any issue, but if you plan a commercial release do keep that in mind. Good luck with your project

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
nice demo.. still got some shaders problem, but nice.. do u have any plans in the future with that demo?

Just. ...Leave me alone =/
Unjust1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 15:55
GogetaX: I take it you had flickering water also? Does it look like z-fighting with the water plain? I may have to go back to the old cubemap shader, it offers a lot better performance anyway since I don't use 2 cameras in it. As for my demo, it is just a testbed for ideas before they are put into the game engine. I am working on a hunting/fishing rpg type combo game. Maybe the first of it's kind to have a real ending scene.

Unjust1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 16:14
After I re-examined the code I found the both the water color and the shader plains were on the exact same level, I lowered the color 0.5 and updated the demo. I am a little perplexed as to why I wasn't getting any z-fighting myself, but that should solve part of the problem. If it still persists then maybe the problem is with the alpha color plain altogether, or with the changing frame rates.

Unjust1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2006 07:44
Alright, I finally got my copy of T.Ed. Here are a couple of terrains up for testing. Tree's, grass, and water are disabled on this one. It was a pain to get the terrain into dbpro, but I finally managed it. If anyone is willing to take a look and see if there are any glitches and tell which terrain you prefer I welcome the critique.

Terrain demo. 6.53 meg
http://webpages.charter.net/bjoneal/terrain.zip

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2006 13:12
That is quite kewl, I got 20fps on my 1.5ghz pentium 4, 256mb ram, 256mb gfx ATI Radeon 9550. Love the water, didn't flicker at all

"I want to put a bullet through my head everytime I think of you!!!"- Slayer
Unjust1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2006 14:05
I re-optimized the trees, but it's not in this demo. I was hitting 30 fps on a 500 mhz pentiumIII with geforce6600. I also seperated the water color plain so hopefully the flicker is gone there for everyone. Did you by chance test the terrain demo?

Download link http://webpages.charter.net/bjoneal/terrain.zip

Here's a shot of it.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2006 14:15 Edited at: 15th Jan 2006 14:20
I didn't try the terrian demo, but I will now

[edit]
Tried the terrian, I got an average of about 40 fps, but generally it was 30 - 50 in that range.

"I want to put a bullet through my head everytime I think of you!!!"- Slayer
Unjust1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2006 17:26
I take it there was no issue with the terrain flickering or anything? Sounds good then. I managed to drop it down to 4000 polys with no change to the appearance. I do appreciate your input.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 10:24:18
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 10:24:18