Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Introducing Myself.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2006 21:23
Hey All,
Im a sixteen year-old student from England, and I've just purchased Darkbasic Pro. I bought FPS Creator a few months ago and relised that it wasn't the program for me, it was too restrictive for the things I wanted to do, and I think I bought it to try to take the easier route, rather than learning to code basic.

As you can tell I have changed my mind, I was playing with Blitz3d, and relised that I would be able to grasp a lower level code such as Basic, and because I prefer this community I bough Darkbasic. I have a game idea which I plan to build up to, its quite original, but im still trying to decide how im going to go about it.

Anyway, I'm going to try to keep active on the forums. and get a firm grasp on the product before attempting to get too ahead of myself. Hopefully i'll get to know a few of you, and if any of you have any other methods that could help me out I would appreciate it. Im going to stick to the tutorials from these forums for the moment.

Thanks Alot Guys

Kansas
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2006 22:08 Edited at: 6th Jan 2006 22:09
Welcome, but be careful, some people won't want threads like this in the Dark Basic board.

I started first with Klik n' Play by Clickteam, then moved to The Games Factory by the same people. Then I got Dark Basic, but it was too hard for me and there weren't as many tutorials as I wanted. Later, I moved to QBasic, where there were some awesome tutorials by Vic, which is what made me like programming alot. I later made a RPG with QB, and then, with programming experience, moved back to DB. Then, I rapidly improved within half a year.

(Sorry, not trying to take attention from you)

Quote: "Anyway, I'm going to try to keep active on the forums. and get a firm grasp on the product before attempting to get too ahead of myself."

Yes, that is a very good thing to do. There are so many team requests and stuff for MMORPGs or huge FPSs. Or trying to make a while programming language.

Good Luck! And may you become a great programmer!

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia-Fear of long words
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2006 15:27
Yay another newcommer that isn't an arrogant prick!

Welcome to the community, you were right to go with DBP. The community is very helpful BUT that depends on if they like you

Basically if you post useless threads advertising your new pwnz0r forums you just made, ask questions that have been answered countless times before and could be found by doing a simple search (search bar is in the bottom right of every forum page), start bad-mouthing people that are just trying to help you by critisizing you, and anything else too Dodic-Like (you'll soon find out who he is, he's quite popular), then you won't be on the good side of the forum members that actually matter (i.e the ones that can help you).

Not to worry, from your first post I can see you'll definitely be on the good side of everyone pretty soon, I know you probably wont, heck I didnt even do it, but I recommend you read the forum rules for each board, it could help you stear clear from making a bad post.

Anyways, once again welcome to the boards!

P.S: Dodic if you're reading I was just kidding

- RUC'

soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2006 15:43 Edited at: 8th Jan 2006 15:48
Hi, welcome to the community, good luck with any and all of your projects.

EDIT::
I'd suggest checking out BatVink's Turoial City http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=68772&b=1 for some top class guidance.

*Attempts to think of witty and original signature*
*Fails*
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2006 18:06
Quote: "some people won't want threads like this in the Dark Basic board"

I don't think that's true at all. We're a pretty helpful and welcoming bunch here! We have nothing against people who are nice and have enough sense to follow the forum rules!

Welcome Kansas, and let me point you in the direction of the DBPro Challenges thread (stickied thread on the DBPro forum), where you can get straight to work with other coders of all abilities.

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2006 18:32
Hi, Kansas

Welcome to the Dark Basic Boards. If you have a good firm grasp of Dark Basics ability (and know math), Ric is right, you will have a lot of fun in the DBPro challanges. If you dont, fire away with your questions. Just make sure to search if your question is actually. I have found that searching key words helps, more than searching the whole topic. For example, i wanted to know the best and easiest way to implement sliding collision. The best way to figure this out, is to search the DBP forums (the google version) with the words 'sliding collision', nothing more. Try not to abuse the amount of words you put into that search thing, the less the better results. Also codebase is really great (try to add to it if you reeally like it), it can be found at the top in the community section of the site. If you have any questions, make a post, make sure you show your theorys and your work, and we will be glad to help you.

Anyways im rambling , so ill stop now. Welcome to the forums, and hope you enjoy your stay.

around here.. normal's just a setting on a hair dryer
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 8th Jan 2006 21:58
I'm with Ruccus on this one... yeaaaahhhh another COOL newbie!

Welcome Kansas to the Darkbasic forums!

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2006 13:50 Edited at: 10th Jan 2006 00:34
Cool newbie!!! YAY!
I like cool newbies!!

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia-Fear of long words
snuck yo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2006 15:47
hi im also a newbie at darkbasic pro and i hope you guys can help me out you guys sound fun and cool well i will try to be on froums alto for questions today is my birthday

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 13:27:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 13:27:09