Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / RPG/MMORPG help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2006 13:06
I wasent sure to but this in the DBP board or here but any way I am planing to make a MMORPG. I have spent the last few weeks developing my idea on paper etc and here is what i intend to to.
Develop the game into and ofline version first and then make it online. But the reason I am makeing this post is I am haveing trouble finding a level editor that is free, easy to use and would be good for this kind of project. With out giveing to mutch away the game will be based on an ofshore prison island. If any one knows any good level development software please let me know.

Delta Games studio
TKsFox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2006 14:21
I think the best would be if u create ur own map files in ini format as sample.

I will do the same - the file will be loaded by DB and the objects r placed. As ground i use heightmaps (advanced terrain) - to create them i use Strata works.

The graphics r really good then... - U can handle everything very fast too

It's me...
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2006 14:43
The very best of luck doing an RPG/MMORPG. It's probably the biggest challenge and some don't believe a MMORPG is possible in DBPro.

However, there are several people having a go at it - not least of which is the Open MMORPG Project who are attempting an open source (you can see and use all the code and media - and you can help too) MMORPG, starting with an offline RPG.

Good luck.
Delta Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2006 17:38 Edited at: 8th Jan 2006 17:42
so i can use models etc of the Open source MMORPG for my game as long as i give credit to the maker?
Quote: "I think the best would be if u create ur own map files in ini format as sample.

I will do the same - the file will be loaded by DB and the objects r placed. As ground i use heightmaps (advanced terrain) - to create them i use Strata works.

The graphics r really good then... - U can handle everything very fast too"

do you mean do the map out in word pad

Delta Games studio
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2006 17:51
Quote: "so i can use models etc of the Open source MMORPG for my game as long as i give credit to the maker?"

Yup - they're open source. Take a look at the site, read the GPL (the liscence) and you'll see you can use whatever's there. We'd appreciate it if you can offer something back to the community in return for the help, but that's up to you
Delta Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2006 17:59
thats prity cool. I will try ti give something back to the community at some stage

Delta Games studio
TKsFox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2006 13:18
Yep...

I also create a special editor for my fps game. But maps can be developed really fast atm. I have a lil thumbnail at the side - and when i press shoot while i m in debug mode i can spawn the object shown at the thumbnail. when i shoot with another weapon i can remove.

When i stop playing anything is saved in a .def file

It's me...
Medieval Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2006 00:28 Edited at: 10th Jan 2006 00:28
Im plannin on a mmorpg to but.....i have 2 figure out this UV mappin first
Anyway good luck!
TKsFox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2006 13:39
For models use zmodeler. Its free and very easy to use.

It's me...
FPS Mastermind
Years of Service
User Offline
You cannot make a successful MMORPG with darkbasic pro. You need complete client/server intergration, and it is not set up for it. You also should have experience with other programming languages and should not be a new user to DBP. For the level editor, you will not be able to find a good one that is free without changing some coding around or only finding demos. Start with something simple.

Hah! Updated my sig now!

Check out my new game: Dawn of the War on the WIP board.
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2006 00:36
MMORPGs are very possibly in DBP, but for a newcommer like yourself I really doubt you'll get anywhere, but hey prove me wrong!

Oh, Tinker I know I said I'd be working on the Open Source a while ago but things came up so I've been pretty buisy, I have to finish a game im making for someone else, try and get my FPS Tutorial done or close to done by next weekend, and finish my soon-t0-be uber sweet pwn4ge physics system, so I've got a lot of work to do. On the good side if and when the physics system is done the Open Source could use it if it fits the needs.

So basically I wont be helping out for a while.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2006 15:32
Quote: "You cannot make a successful MMORPG with darkbasic pro"

If you have some sort of networking plugin you can.

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin - 70%
Mr Snuggles
Years of Service
User Offline
Perhaps... only the *client* should be programmed in dbp?

ooo isn't that precious
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2006 01:11
Yes, in my opinion DBP cannot(and shouldn't) be used to make a MMORPG server, just the client.

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin - 70%
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2006 16:24
Quote: "Oh, Tinker I know I said I'd be working on the Open Source a while ago but things came up so I've been pretty buisy"

Perfectly ok RUCCUS - it's an open project so you can come and go as you please. There's no arm twisting, but you'll be very welcome to help if/when you have time. No problems, and good luck with your project.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 13:27:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 13:27:32