Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Nesting Error and the enter key... once and for all

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
First off, I'm a newbie and I admit it freely. I've got the mother of all duncey, bonehead problems, and I couldn't find a clear-cut answer in previous posts. And yes, I did look.

I just bought DBLite today in the Game Programming Starter Kit 6.0 and started the tutorials with the infamous

DO
PRINT "Hello World"
LOOP

But I can't get past DO. I type DO, press enter, and get Syntax Error - Nesting Error. **ROLLS EYES AND NODS HEAD WHILE YOU FINISH LAUGHING**

I've tried other stuff, and see that you can scroll up and down through your lines with the UP/DOWN keys on the keyboard. But other than that, I can't figure out how to edit my code once it's typed, especially with all those error messages cluttering everything up.

This is a very, VERY basic problem, and I'm hoping once I pass this one stupid hurdle everything else will come more easily. As it is, I'm a little miffed I just shelled out fifty bucks for an ordinary but decent book and a very confusing demo CD. WHAT'S THE DEAL? Any useful illumination would be much appreciated, please.

W.S.
It's over, Prime.
Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2003 09:22
Try typing "Do" instead of "DO"...

Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2003 14:33
I'm not sure what DBLite is, but when I use DB (Pro or original), syntax errors are only displayed when I try to run my program (with F5).

If I type in a load of rubbish without realising, I won't know until I run it.

Also: you can type "DO" or "Do" or "do" or "dO" - capitals shouldn't matter.
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Interesting... I can't quite see the problem there, but you might want to download the newsest DBLite from here(unless you haven't done so already) and then just try the code again. It's interesting that it doesn't work...

Toughest line of codecol$=asc(left(Pcol$)),1+str$(rev)+chr(80)+left(right(mid(name$),1),1)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-19 22:43:05
Your offset time is: 2024-09-19 22:43:05