Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Text & cursor

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I dont know how to do many text things. I dont know how the user can type text, how to make text or a picture light up or do something when you put your cursor over it, if you click on it how to go to a different screen, i know how to position chat but i dont know how to make it keep moving, move it down when another message appears (chatroom style). i also need to know how to have if a cursor is over an object in a 3d enviroment, make a cursor, animate a cursor
Any help on this?

[img]http://www.savefile.com/files/4182721 [/img]
Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2006 11:59 Edited at: 12th Jan 2006 12:53
I needed help with making a function that detected if the curser would enter a specific area, so a asked at the forum. That thread might help:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=67102&b=7

EDIT:

The reason I give you this link is that if you want the text to light up or something when the curser is on top of it, the program must know that the curser is on top of the text.
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2006 12:12
wow, that's a lot of questions......
Quote: "I dont know how the user can type text"

try using 'input "string"' or 'input varible,"string"'
Quote: "how to make text or a picture light up or do something when you put your cursor over it"

you would probably have to determine the mouses' x,y co-ordinates (mousex,mousey) and then compare them to the text/pictures position and then do whatever you wanted to do....
i.e.

that code should work but i didn't test it, (lol, can't even remember if that'll work....)
Quote: "if you click on it how to go to a different screen"

put this in the above code; if mouse click() then **do whatever.......**

Quote: "i know how to position chat but i dont know how to make it keep moving, move it down when another message appears (chatroom style)"

ok, i haven't had to do this before but basically you would make the text either keep moving down everytime someone talks until it gets to a certain height and then reposition the screen, i.e.

Quote: "i also need to know how to have if a cursor is over an object in a 3d enviroment, make a cursor, animate a cursor"

ok this one you will need to get the 3d objects 2d co-ordinates
"Return Value=OBJECT SCREEN X(Object Number)" and "Return Value=OBJECT SCREEN Y(Object Number)" and do something very similar to the code for changing the text appearence.

hope this helps abit...
oh and this is for dbc, i'm pretty sure it'll work in dbp aswell though.

life's one big game

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 13:20:26
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 13:20:26