Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Using Non-Biped Animations created in 3DS Max?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have created a model of a planet and animated its rotaion in 3DS Max8 using the keyframe function. It works great in 3DS Max.

The animation file is named Anim-1.xaf and the model is called planet1.X . Will FPSC support the ".xaf" format? If so how do I get the animated model to work in FPSC? If not then how do I get it to a point where I can get it to work?

Even the person that knows the most started out a novice with many questions. Patients and tolorance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. We all have something to learn.
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2006 16:02 Edited at: 14th Jan 2006 16:03
There's no problem with the format per se, but you will have to export it to directx.

Also, I don't think just keyframing the rotation will work, most 3d engines require a linked heirarchy to animate. In other words, bones. Any object can be set up as a bone in 3ds max. Just open the "character" menu and select "bone tools". Then put a check in the "bone on" property. Then your planet model will act as a bone and you can keyframe the rotation from there, and it should export properly.

By the way, I like your sig.

Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2006 23:51
Only tried this once and it worked that time.
I created a primitive. Keyframed a rotation. Exported an X file, using Pandasoft with the same settings as you would a normal character.

In the .fpe file look for "identity details" and change ischaracter=1 to ischaracter=0. Then do as you would a normal character.

If that fails, do as bond1 says.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2006 04:03 Edited at: 15th Jan 2006 04:03
Not sure that I fully understand the requirement but any animated model without bones e.g. vertex/frame based animated models should work as long as any required scripts are attached appropriately.

I am not sure though if there are any engine restrictions which may prevent certain kinds of objects animating - if so this needs to be corrected for a future version.

I successfully animate new doors in as many pieces as required moving in any direction with simple frame based animations attached so in theory any animated model should perform the animated movement appropriately inside FPSC when activated correctly via script.

Of course doors are a particular point in case and FPSC internally does understand that with the correct script a doror should animate.

That may not be the case with other entity types - I just dont know. I see no reason why it should not work myself. A simple test would confirm this further.

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Joh,

I tried your suggestion and Im afraid it didnt work. Nice try though.

bond1,

How do get bones to rotate?
Is it just one bone or many?

There are so many questions, and the issue is so broad, that I could spend months researching it in the 3DS Max help files and on thier forum.

Could you give me an example to start with?

It is probably so simple that I will feel silly for not figuring it out.

Thanx-a-bunch

Even the person that knows the most started out a novice with many questions. Patients and tolorance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. We all have something to learn.
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2006 16:01 Edited at: 16th Jan 2006 16:05
Incense,

Well it appears that you don't HAVE to use bones. I checked some of the models provided with FPSC, for example, doors and switches don't seem to have bones attached.

But what you do have to have is a linked heirarchy. For example, if your model contains more than one moving part then the "main" part will be the "parent". Moving or rotating the parent will move ALL the parts of the model. The other parts are set up as "children", and can rotate somewhat independently of the parent.

But for your planet model, if it only has one moving part, a sphere I presume, then you SHOULD just be able to keyframe the rotation from what I can see. If that doesn't work, then you could set it up as a bone as I described before, and 3ds max will treat it as a bone.

Animation is a complex subject, every 3d engine has its own rules. (If you think FPSC is hard, try getting an animation in Shockwave 3d, it has some CRAZY rules!) If you can describe your planet model in detail we can take it from there. Is it comprised of only one mesh?

If all else fails send it to me with a description of what you want to do and I'll see what I can do.

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
bond1

It is just a big ball that turns. Made it in 3DS Max. One mesh is all there is to it. If you have 3DS Max, just create a sphere and see if you can get it to rotate. and then see if you can make it work in FPSC. I would have to go through the steps to learn it. I just need more detailed info to guide me. the help files in 3DS Max are greate but they lack in places.

Thanks for your time and effort.

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok that's what I needed to know. I'll let you know what works.

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool!!!!!!!!!

Thanks bond1.

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2006 22:10 Edited at: 16th Jan 2006 22:49
Ok, I'll try and go through this step by step. This is for creating a simple animated entity that will loop through a single animation. I used a ball that just moves up and down.

1. Create and texture a mesh in 3ds max. I made a simple sphere. I didn't bother to texture it since this is about animation.

2. Open max's time configuration menu and set it to "custom" and change the FPS to 25 frames per second. 3ds max defaults to 30 frames per second but FPSC uses 25.

3. Turn on autokey (or setkey) and create your animation. I made a simple "bouncing up and down" animation that was 83 frames long. I assume you know how to create keyframes.

4. Export your model using the panda exporter and the settings provided by TGC here: http://www.fpscreator.com/42.html . But since we're not using bones, you can uncheck the "bones" box.

5. Put your model.x file in your entitybank folder. Now you need an FPE and a script for it. You can use the this FPE as a template:

Put this FPE in the same folder as your model. Now you will have to change a few things. The model and texture fields of course. And the animation info. "Anim0" should be left alone since this refers to the "spawn" animation. But you should change anim1 to fit your animation length. Mine is 83 frames long, therefore it is set to 0,83. Change this to suit your animation.

Here is the script I used for the animation. Use it as it is, although you'll probably want to rename it to suit your model:

That's it. Put this in your scriptbank folder and set this script as the "AI Main" in the FPE file. And you'll probably want to turn physics off for your entity if its just going to be decoration. I've tested this and confirmed this all to work. Hope this helps.

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
bond1,

Thanks!! I'll give it a try.

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
I had to change the fpi file a little but I got the rotation I need.

However it stops rotating when I step back from it. When I get close it starts rotating again.

I would like it to rotate all the time.

Any clue?

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2006 18:29 Edited at: 18th Jan 2006 18:30
Hmm, post your fpi file, mine animates all the time. You don't have it attached to a zone or have a plrdistancewithin property in your fpi do you? Post your fpe as well.

Also, try turning the "always active" property on.

Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
/OT

bond1 mate... I really need that you check your emails

Thanx.

(sorry for the OT guys)

The only lazy people that can complete games are genius. You don't look like a genius, so you better stop being lazy.
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Vlad, sorry I checked my mail but didn't see anything. It's possible that maybe my wife deleted something...anyway it's hyrumark@yahoo.com.

Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you mate, just re-sent it to that address.

The only lazy people that can complete games are genius. You don't look like a genius, so you better stop being lazy.
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
bond1,

Here is the FPE file that you gave me. I just changed the needed info for my model.

There doesnt seem to be an option for "Always Active" here.

I right clicked the model in the editor and didnt see one for "Always Active" there either.

Im better than halfway there. You have been really helpful.

;header

desc = Planet1

;ai
aiinit = appear1.fpi
aimain = ballmove.fpi
aidestroy = disappear1.fpi

;spawn
spawnmax = 0
spawndelay = 0
spawnqty = 0

;orientation
model = planet1.x
offx = 0
offy = 0
offz = 0
rotx = 0
roty = 0
rotz = 0
scale = 80
fixnewy = 180

;visualinfo
textured = wall_concrete03.dds
effect = effectbankbumpbonebumpbone.fx
castshadow = 0

;bodypartslimbinfo (1=head/2=body/3+4=armslr/5+6=legslr)
limbmax = 0

;animationinfo
animmax = 100
anim0 =0,0
anim1 = 0,101

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2006 19:48 Edited at: 18th Jan 2006 19:54
The "always active" property is in the physics field when your right click on an entity. You didn't alter the ballmove.fpi file did you? And you put it in the scriptbank folder?

If this doesn't work could you send me the max file to look at? Best way is to save it as an archive from max's file menu, that way I'll be sure to get all the files.

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Got it working. Had to change the FPI a little.

;Artificial Intelligence Script

;Header

desc = ballmove

;Triggers

:state=0:animate=1
;End of Script

To:

;Artificial Intelligence Script

;Header

desc = ballmove

;Triggers

:state=0:rotatey=1
;End of Script

Dont know why it didnt work the other way. It works good now Just slows down when I move back but does keep rotating.

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
That's a different approach, but glad it works nonetheless.

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
You put me on the right path. Thanks!!!

The person that now knows the most started with many questions. Patients and tolorance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. We're all noobies at something. Support your local Riker 9 Chapter.
RJ is out Leave a message
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2006 19:37
What about milkshape 3D???? HOw do you animate for that and export it? I'm sure everyones got 3DSmax...Right Right? Is the creator going to do something about this problem or what?
RJ is out Leave a message
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2006 19:43
I starting a protest! Support tutorials no wait a min, Support every single type of tutorial in great detail for Milkshape 3D! Who is with me! Go to there website and se tell them we should eather pay for the plug ins or ever it take to use the FPSC animations for MILKSHAPE3D now!
RaymondJ
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2006 20:57 Edited at: 9th Feb 2006 20:59
um, it's possible already, infact someone has already provided the skeleton and animations for the guards in ms3d format; all you have to do is model around it. MS3d exports to .x with animations; I've done it myself plenty of times. You cant import directx animations, but you can import models. Exporting with animations is fully functional.

Attitudes and Egos only destroy. Keep this forum friendly.
[url=http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL320/1062685/1992749/24229021.jpg[/img][/url]
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Its good to see such sharing of infomation. It warms the heart.

The person that now knows the most started with many questions. Patients and tolorance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. We're all noobies at something. Support your local Riker 9 Chapter.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 02:24:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 02:24:13