Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / the best VS the new

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2006 02:08
i have been thinking i know that the game creators has a first time on forums that makes your post go a couple hours until people can see it.the best people should be helping more the new people. they do put we have to wait 3 hours before we can get help i think it is a little unfair
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 16th Jan 2006 02:34
Because you're new you have to wait for your messages to be approved before it can be seen... and of course depending on how you write your message (how clear it is) will determine how fast you get help. This is a forum not an instant messager.

The "newbie slap" as we call it will eventually be removed.

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2006 02:39
When I joined the forum, this system wasn't in place. However, lots of spammers came along posting crap and the moderators had to go through constantly cleaning things up. So Rich (the guy who wrote the forum) added in the newbie posting approval system. If you're good for a certain amount of time (nobody except the Almighty Rich knows this) and have a certain number of posts, then you are automatically taken off post approval.

Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2006 02:45 Edited at: 16th Jan 2006 02:46
What Grog did not mention is the reason for the dealy in posting. Some were coming in and irresponsably posting; either spaming the forums, multi posting or just ignoring the posting rules all together.

This weighed the forum down with alot of fluff and little substance, and made it hard to get help. The "Newbie Slap" was a way to weed out those that were not responsable and cared little about this forum. When you show yourself to be a responsable poster and serious. You will get the full privilages of any other users.

It is also a little punishement to those who get out of control and start abusing the forum.

Also welcome to the Forum.

[edit]
Beaten to the post by hyrichter. Well explained.

In Memory of My Dad.
I miss you very much.
Mabuggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2006 12:52 Edited at: 16th Jan 2006 15:57
Besides - think of it this way, if youve got nothing to worry about - you'll be unslapped soonest.

Its for YOUR benefit - to stop idiots from flaming the boards.

This forum is FAR too important not be 'policed'.

FYI - Im neither new nor good, what does that make me?

DAB Studios
Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2006 20:21
Quote: "If you're good for a certain amount of time (nobody except the Almighty Rich knows this) and have a certain number of posts, then you are automatically taken off post approval.
"

If nobody but the Almighty Rich knows this, how do you know it? Are you him?
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 16th Jan 2006 22:24
Quote: "If nobody but the Almighty Rich knows this, how do you know it? Are you him?"

People have asked him but he won't say what exactly are the requirements to get out of a newbie slap... it's top secret stuff.

snuck yo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2006 23:33
we don't need world war 3 to happen over 1 post make it more important sorry.
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2006 01:39
What I meant was nobody except the Almighty Rich knows how long + how many posts you need to be removed from newbie mode. He won't even tell the mods.

SirFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2006 01:54
He has made a statement in one of the threads that you can count the number of posts required to get out of "newbie slap" mode on your fingers.

snuck yo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2006 02:14
oh sorry got the bad idea
Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2006 13:32
Quote: "People have asked him but he won't say what exactly are the requirements to get out of a newbie slap... it's top secret stuff.
"

Ok, now I got it.

Quote: "we don't need world war 3 to happen over 1 post make it more important sorry. "

Didn't intend to either. I just saw the text and a question popped up in my head. I'm like that. So I asked, but in a bad way. Sorry for that.
snuck yo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2006 16:32 Edited at: 18th Jan 2006 16:32
good we can not talk about this post again or my ninja will kill you

Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2006 16:34
Snuck yo. im not following you. the thread is called "The best VS the new"
so you are challenging the expierienced ones to noobs like you? this isnt making
any since. All i see in that post of yours is that you want people to post their
code so you can copy and paste it. When i was a noobey i thought the same thing
but its REALLY hard to learn from bland snippets. read all the tutorials and books
dont come back onto the forums untell you have something to say.

[href]http://snowfall.homestead.com [/href]
snuck yo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2006 01:36
ok t dog
Codelike
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2006 02:26 Edited at: 19th Jan 2006 02:29
Whether you post a new code, or an old (but interesting) variation of a code snippet or ask an interesting n00b question (which hasn't been done, in quite the same way, before), make useful & regular posts. You'll be allowed, fully, into the fold, soon enough...

I have an XP3000+, 1.5gb DDR333, a 6600GT and I'm programming 3k text-based exe's?!
snuck yo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2006 06:22
i didn;t understand that

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 13:27:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 13:27:08