Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / text disappearing and high system requirement help please

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2006 09:47 Edited at: 17th Jan 2006 09:56
hello, my match cards game is nearing completion and im trying to iron out the bugs. There are 3:

1.) i have text looping in the top right and top left of the screen, top right is a clock, and top left is the track number of the song playing, however when i click my mouse on a card to turn it over the text disappears while the card turns over, then the text is back to normal. i noticed this also happens when i write any other text to the screen, for instance when the "please try another card" message comes up when the player clicks an already turned over card. any ideas on how i can get the text to stay visible at all times?

2.) i have been using the dbpro project settings button to configure the resolution that my game will run in, and there is a noticeable slowdown when i set the resolution to 1024x768, 24-32bit. there is no slowdown when i set it to 1024x768 16-bit, nor is there any when i set it at 800x600 on any depth. I've realized that its the skysphere slowing me down but i really like it lol. I've sized the sphere all the way down to the camera range (170000) and still it slows down, any ideas on how i could keep the sphere but still get good frame rate at 1024x768, 24-32bit resolution?(my pc specs are in my sig)

3.) not really a bug but is there any way i could get that sky sphere to rotate slowly? that would go a long way toward achieving the atmosphere i want for the game. tried throwing a rotate command in the main loop but it only adjusted the sphere's Y-angle one time, instead of doing it continuously to simulate the rotation. any ideas?

Here's my code, with all the media loading commmands included, just comment them out if u want to run the code, im using very little media at this stage, and its all loaded in the first few lines of the code:

DBPro User
PC: WinXP, AthlonXP 2100+ 1.7ghz, 80gb HD, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 (128mb onboard RAM), 512mb DDR400 system RAM. Thank you for your help.
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2006 10:34
i don't use pro (so couldn't run it) but i'll try to help....

1. the text must be being written when the process of turning the card is being run, i.e. if u use a seperate do-loop u must have code in it that re-writes the text.

2. sorry, u'll probably have to change it, but i'm not sure.

3. u need to constantly add to the rotation (i think, i don't use them, as i have dbc i use backdrop) like; rotate skysphere #,rotation : inc rotation
or maybe there's a scroll skysphere command?

life's one big game
SirFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2006 13:33 Edited at: 17th Jan 2006 13:37
2. Without seeing your skysphere .x file, I'm guessing it has a high poly count. Try reducing the poly count, skyspheres really don't require 10000 faces to look great, I couldn't tell the difference when I reduced mine to around 100 faces.

3. just ROTATE OBJECT in your main loop (or better yet in a function called from the main loop) with an increasing value for X, Y, or Z (whichever way you want it to rotate).

Gyrich
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2006 13:04
k i tried incrementing the yrotation of the skybox in the main loop like you guys said but it still only rotates one time and then doesn't anymore.

Also smallg, i don't really understand what you meant about where i should put the text commands in my code so that they stay on screen. i really need that fixed and can't seem to fig it out myself so if anyone has an answer, please do.

here's my code, i've modularized it some since my first post, added a main menu screen, fixed the clock to show regular (and not military) time, and a few other fixes:

DBPro User
PC: WinXP, AthlonXP 2100+ 1.7ghz, 80gb HD, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 (128mb onboard RAM), 512mb DDR400 system RAM. Thank you for your help.
crighton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2006 14:56
with the sky box, it sounds like you havent wraped the value around.
do something like this.

With the text not appearing after a certain state, sound like your leaving your main loop and executing the program from another location, and at that location you are not calling the text to be displayed.

eg.

what happends there is pretty straight forward, in the first loop you will see the text, but after hitting the mouse button and jumping to the new loop, the text never gets repeated again.

hope this helps

Why are the forgotten always remembered? But no-one remembers me?!
Gyrich
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2006 07:09 Edited at: 19th Jan 2006 07:13
smallg and SirFire i forgot to thank you for taking the time to help me by replying to this thread, so thx . btw sirfire im using a skybox, so poly count couldn't really be a problem for me in this case. and crighton lol thx again ur logic is spot-on. the skybox rotation works although now that its rotating i'm having the same problem that i was and still am having with the text: when i click cards the text disappears and the skybox stops rotating. I understand completely what you said about clicking cards leaving the main loop and all, but I can't fathom a solution any ideas anyone?

Here's the code:

DBPro User
crighton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2006 14:07
hmmm....

I for some reason i cannot run your code, gives me strange errors all over the place.(no not the missing media)
Well why not put the object rotation into the clock function(thats the text your missing right?).

Then when you jump to card flipping or dealing, just add a call to the clock from inside there aswell.

That should keep it spinning.

Why are the forgotten always remembered? But no-one remembers me?!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 13:24:00
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 13:24:00