Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Multiple Textures on Entity

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2006 02:51
Has anyone gotten this to work yet? If so, just how is it done. I'm sure there is a way
Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2006 03:47
I don't think so... sorry. This should have been supported... since FPSC have multiples textures for the weapons... (M4, scope, different textures)

Nobody can ear you scream ... you're on a forum!
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2006 07:00 Edited at: 18th Jan 2006 07:05
Yeah this would make life a lot easier woudn't it? I exported a simple box with 2 different textures to directx. Opening up the model in notepad confirmed that there are two separate texture references.

But unfortunately it seems that FPSC only references one of these, there is only one reference in the FPE file.

It would be SOOO useful if FPSC could support this. For example, a building model could contain a tileable brick texture, which usually looks way better than a single stretched bitmap, and then use a separate texture for the windows for example. The result would be a much more detailed building than using a single stretched texture for the entire building.

And it would probably end up using less texture memory in the end anyway, since you could get away with using a smaller brick texture and just tile it.

Maybe someday....or maybe there's a secret to get this working. Maybe I'll email support with this question.

Doughboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2006 07:10 Edited at: 18th Jan 2006 07:11
We should start up a petition for a hotfix addressing this issue. I can't get much further in development of my game, as I don't plan on using those defult buildings for every level.

I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult for the developers to patch this problem up, because to me and others, it's begining to be a huge obstacle.
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm going to send this question for support. I don't think this is a bug, it's probably intentional. But if there is a way to get around it...

Doughboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2006 19:09
I've heard of people getting around it in test mode, but not when they build the game.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2006 19:38
Not sure if you want to use multiple textures so that you can swap them at run time or not. If so you would have to script that.

Otherwise if you are refering to multiple textures being applied to a model in a model editor not being loaded to a model in FPSC and applied to it then yes FPSC wont support that by default as most modellers or viewers will read the .x file description and load the multiple textures from the info but not FPSC - you need to UV map the model and save out the textures as a single texture one piece skin for the model.

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes uman we're referring to the second scenario. But using a single skin for a model can be limiting, you lose the ability to combine tiled textures with "decal" type textures (I'm not referring to FPSC decals, but rather a single texture applied to part of a model, as in my building example.)

Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2006 05:38 Edited at: 19th Jan 2006 05:40
Doughboy,

Greetings. You can effectively use an entity created in a modeling program with multiple textures.

I read a posting in these forums that explained that the texturing information will reside in a properly exported .x file, when created in a good modeling program. In the .fpe for the entity, locate the line texture=, and delete any texture path that exists on the right side of the = (equals) sign.

Sure enough, provided you have all of the texture maps with the .x file, the entity will texture correctly ingame. I have had success with this myself.

I hope this helps, and is of use to you in your endeavors.

Thanks,

Seth Black

"...I'm sorry, could you repeat your question a little louder? I'm a trifle deaf in this ear."

- Willie Wonka
Doughboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2006 06:02 Edited at: 19th Jan 2006 06:05
Dosen't work for me...

All my files are in entitybankusercitybuilding.

I have the images linked up in the mesh file, sample:

"Material material_7
{
1.000000;1.000000;1.000000;1.000000;;
11.313700;
0.000000;0.000000;0.000000;;
0.011765;0.035294;0.007843;;

TextureFileName
{
"wood_support_2.tga";
}
}"

and some of the FPE code:
";orientation

model = entitybankusercitybuildingcitybuilding.x
offx = 0
offy = 0
offz = 0
rotx = 0
roty = 0
rotz = 0
defaultstatic = 1
materialindex = 2
collisionmode = 1

;visualinfo

textured =
effect =
castshadow = 0"

That produces this, when I test build:

Oddly enough, when I'm adding the entity in the map editor, I can see the textures just fine.

Seen here...
Talairina
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2006 06:37
Quote: "and some of the FPE code:
";orientation

model = entitybankusercitybuildingcitybuilding.x
offx = 0
offy = 0
offz = 0
rotx = 0
roty = 0
rotz = 0
defaultstatic = 1
materialindex = 2
collisionmode = 1

;visualinfo

textured =
effect =
castshadow = 0""

Youve not set the texture path. Just because youve defined the texture's in the .x it still need's the path for it. Set that and 'hopefully' it should work. correctly for you.

Tal
gps
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2006 07:20
Talairina, you have to leave the texture path blank in order to get FPSC to load multiple textures onto a single mesh, which is something that it doesn't want to do normally - check the .fpe for the commando rifle, which has separate textures for the gun, ammo and scope.

Doughboy, so far I've only managed the same result as you - textured in the editor screen, blank in the test game

Talairina
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2006 09:14
Iv never managed to get it to load a multi-texture on a single mesh and from what Iv been told/read it's nto quite possiable for us personally to do without known the trick TGC did to make it work with the Commando.
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2006 14:24
Quote: "I read a posting in these forums that explained that the texturing information will reside in a properly exported .x file, when created in a good modeling program. In the .fpe for the entity, locate the line texture=, and delete any texture path that exists on the right side of the = (equals) sign."

This actaully works very well on certain models. As long as BOTH (or more then two) textures are specified in the .X file, and the is no refrence to texture in the .FPE file, it should work. I'm tempted though, to believe that it dosn't work on certain computer because of my tree pack. If you havn't noticed, I use this multiple txture thing for it (one texture for the leaves, and another for the bark.).
However, it dosn't run on certain peoples computers. And others, it runs fine on.

When FPSC develops enough, lets make a Redwall game!

Doughboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2006 23:47
I'd like to hear something from a developer
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2006 08:01
You probably wont, as they are kinda staying quiet about all the inside devopment.

Your signature has been erased by a mod, because the mod was so jealous of it that he couldnt bare looking at it.
Doughboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2006 12:04
Well, I guess I'll try and modify the code myself then.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-16 12:42:14
Your offset time is: 2024-06-16 12:42:14