Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / In at the deep end.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
For my final year project at uni I decided to create a rts game, nothing amazing really just eary c&c style graphics and features, so 2d top down veiws. I obtained DB pro for this sole purpose. I have read about 80% of the beginners guide book and tried a few tutorials so i get the general jist of how the code works.

I can only find one tutorial on building an rts and that is a bit above my current level so here's th question, can anyone either point out a more basic rts tutorial or if one doesn't exist, a few subject areas I should focus on learning so i can understand the tutorial I have looked at.

I'll b doing the gfx myself via hand drawin and scanning so it will all b in 2d and sound etc i can figure out for myself as there's a chunk in the book.

not in a major rush as i have till april to finish it(it only has to have a couple of missions really)

well ne advice/help apreciated and if it might b easier to talk to me rather than explain feel free to add my msn.
Shadowed Lightning
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2006 00:33 Edited at: 20th Jan 2006 01:50
Well, once you get out of mapping 2d onto 3d and uing selection boxes and selecting units and moving unites with mouse clicks in a 2d -> 3d, which you basically do switching to full 2D, it should be relatively simple. That rts tutorial should give you a basic idea of what yo need to do, but everything will be much simpler in 2D. So instead of usng that "simple" algorithym (as the writer of tutorial said) to map a 2d point (mousex,mouesy) onto a 3d point (unitx, unity,unitz) you can do everything with 2 dimensions, even after a few weeks of research i believe i myself would be capable of writing a bare bare bones fully 2 dimensional rts. So my main suggestion to you is to familiarize yourself with the images and sprites and basic2d commands, as well as the core commands, and for good menus and such, the text commands, and then you should be able to work out a basic rts engine based off of the 3d one developed in that tutorial.

Sorry about the disorganization of that post, I just felt like typing something but didnt think about typing it. You will be using alot of arrays and types in an RTS so make sure you fully understand those commands. And good luck, out of all the game genres you could have picked, you picked the first second or third hardest kind (not sure lol.) I believe an mmorpg would be the hardest cause of all the networking crap and the budget limits and time restraints... But an RTS is just flat out complicated, so its a good thing you are making it a flat RTS other wise it would be a... round... out... complicated? I don't know what the hell I'm saying, but it translates to good luck and I'll help if i can.

[EDIT] What is your MSN name, I don't think the button/link is working right... Mine is shadowed_lightning@hotmail.com

[EDIT2]
I just made up a quick example of how you could use the tutorial as guidlines:

AMD Athlon 64 3200 - GeForce 6800 GT - 320GB Hard Drive
1024MB RAM
Shadowed Lightning
Years of Service
User Offline
WOW, that is alot of work just to change it to 2d... I spent so much time and its not working, I'm sure its just a few little things, anyone wanna help me make this work right?
Its supposed to make the guys move to where you right click once youve selected them, now, I'v enever used sprites up until today, so making an rts out of sprites may be a dumb idea, but i've got a pretty good idea of what to do based on Phaelix's 3D-RTS tutorial... so here it is
uncommented and all.

1024MB RAM
Doldren
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks like I got some reading to do then lol, thx for replying.

msn is krisholmes945@hotmail.com
Doldren
Years of Service
User Offline
*bump*
Found this tutorial which was easy to understand and introduced me to matrix\'s: http:

//www.teamxtcgames.com/rts_tutorial_001.htm

but the second part hasn\'t been added and the last post was nov of last year.

{I tried to avoid spam by updating my previous post but it kept coming up with errors, proly coz each of my posts has to be scanned first)
Shadowed Lightning
Years of Service
User Offline
Doldren I have the resrouce gathering working completely now, with the exception of the fact that the trees have infinite wood... I've been trying to get rid of that but because of the slopiness of my code its not simple at all. There are around 5-10 "If unit.isselcted" in the same subroutine and it really only needs one.

1024MB RAM
Doldren
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah soz i aint been around much last couple o days, been gettin stuck in to other things.

sounds like your doin well on it.
Shadowed Lightning
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, yo keep up the research and maybe I'll organize this and remark it and throw a copy of it your way.

1024MB RAM
Doldren
Years of Service
User Offline
Had ne more luck yet m8 or r he sprites still doing the twitching thing?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 15:28:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 15:28:22