Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / The New Syndicate: Remastered

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2006 07:51 Edited at: 24th Jun 2006 07:51
lol those stick things are pretty funky. anyway here is an image for you guys to use on the back jacket of one of the models. while im so sick, i might draw up some concept art for the models/characters.

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mefisto telis
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm a Syndicate series fan. If you're looking for textures or ideas from original game, visit the site:

http://syndicate.lubie.org/

There is also source code of some small tools for extracting textures/levels.

ps. screens are impressing!
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2006 01:28 Edited at: 25th Jun 2006 06:00
That's a wonderful resource site for Syndicate. I might have to borrow some of those sound clips to give the game a retro feel.
--
TAZ

PS. I'm working on more buildings this weekend, but I've [got] an out of [town] trip that will last a week so I don't know when I'll have anything new to post.

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2006 05:20
http://syndicate.lubie.org/html/synd_remastered.html

awfully nice of him.

that site is pretty damn sweet! Will take some of those resources for use in my film soundwise.

Also zirch have fun on your trip, i assume you meant out of town, otherwise ease up on teh drug if it takes you a week to recover
I'm so happy with how this project is coming along, van and zircher are doing a bang up job, I also feel a bit like a dud as I am doing crud all, but rest assured I will have something in the next month that will shock and not so surprise you all!! it's a secret for now, but for you hint lovers out there i will say this, i need to get in shape and bulk up like ca$h curtis.

Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2006 12:31
Your going to play rugby? No, I know! Your making a...*gets shot in the forehead*

Need php coding? Need your design to be coded? Will code for graphics:-( Contact me at: webmaster@programmer-scripts.com
Supremacy
Years of Service
User Offline
hmm, i liked to see my model in that site, nice

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120....
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 05:30
for anyone whom cares i m formatting my main HD, got some nasty spyware that i cant get rid of, so i may be out of action for a few days. haven't lost anything though so dont worry.

Tubal
Years of Service
User Offline
I created an account basically to say: this is a great idea (and to get email notifications)

I played through the first Syndicate but gave up on Syndicate wars since I though it was [excrements]. Needless to say I hope you try to make it more like the original game

I don't have a whole lot to offer to a project like this myself. I could try fleshing out some fluff-text (like mission briefings, equipment descriptions etc) or do some light skinning though.
Wolfe
Years of Service
User Offline
This is indeed a great idea. The original syndicate was one of my top games ever, and syndicate wars was pretty good too.

If you guys need any help with some graphics, I'd be happy to help out. Web graphics/UI's/photoshop is the only relevant thing I have experience with, but I don't imagine textures use vastly different techniques.

Look forward to seeing how this turns out!
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2006 15:54
I finally got Syndicate Wars to work on my PC. I really like the the styling used in it and I'll probably end up re-doing the buildings, vehicles, and perhaps some of the weapons as a result. I consider that a good thing since my first stab at the models was rather cartoonish (even if that did fit the orginal PC game.)
--
TAZ

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2006 15:59
Yeah, really I think it would be best to keep the gameplay fairly consistant with the original, I think that it's just easier for us to use Syndicate Wars as a graphical base because it should look pretty cool, and we don't have to think about how to convert those complex 2D drawings into 3D.

Sorry I haven't got much done on this, been busy with work (the salaried kind, my 'boss' is off sick again), but it's good to see Zircher has a firm foot on it's throat, will get to check out those new buildings and stuff tonight hopefully .

Aegrescit medendo
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 05:54
hooray for everything, yeah im happy with running it like old school syndicate, the action/drama series im working on is adapted fromt eh syndicate world, but involves low tek punks vs corporations. I was gonna have it co-incide with the game so that i could use footage as cut scenes etc, but i can easily just make it two different things and still use footage etc.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 09:09
Aye, think of Syndicate Wars more of as a style guide like Bladerunner rather than the plot in SyndWars.
--
TAZ

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2006 08:59
for anyone interested I got the wig for my girlfriends character in the movie. Also just got my visa every day debit card so once the paper work goes through I can totally order the rest of these costumes/wigs from hong kong and start filming. I will be doing a few promo posters soon so keep tuned!

uh, did i mention I was making a syndicate film series on the forums here or did I just go and talk thinking I did. well if not, i am making a sci fi action drama based ont eh syndicate world with a more cyber punk spin. furo punk hair and guns with orange triggers w00h00! + hot asian chicks.

Glenn Carter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2006 16:53
I loved both syndicate and syndicate wars so this is something I'm obviously interested in. Any demo any time soon?

Glenn Carter
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2006 05:48
I wouldn't say soon, we're still working on content and a level editor/viewer. Van B and I are also multi-tasking on our own projects so things move in spurts. [For example I just completed the rough draft for the next edition of my Tactical Command pen and paper rules for space combat.]
--
TAZ

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 13:18 Edited at: 30th Jul 2006 13:19
just thought i'd post the poster image for my movie, I haven't taken the promo shot syet cause I am waiting for some costumes to arrive from hong kong (good old child labour means cheap dresses for import!) but basically I will have different characters in poses in the poster, maybe with a red hue over them to mathc the background. depends on how my shot scome out. but for now feel free to make your own character and put it onthe background of this jpg!

it's a first draft, i might increase the border a bit, and reorganize the text, but i will wait for the rest of the images first.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2006 09:21 Edited at: 1st Aug 2006 19:08
ok edited now, here is the poster of my girlfriend, whom may or may not be acting in the movie now.

hehe yes I do make out with her.

also here is me

critique: i dunno, too much blank space on the second one?

Mefisto telis
Years of Service
User Offline
I've got a new toy, and think you will enjoy it too

http://syndicate.lubie.org/html/swars_rework_primveh.html

ps. my syndicate: remastered subpage has changed name, now it is:

http://syndicate.lubie.org/html/related_game_synd_remastered.html
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 15:08
Coolness! I've already captured a few SW vehicles for the vehicle redesign, but this will certainly make my life easier. Thanks for posting the links.
--
TAZ

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 18:30
Hey, this game is looking very interesting. Looking forward to give it a go later

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 08:05 Edited at: 20th Aug 2006 08:05
thanks for the support! her ei sa pic of a new model I just made, it's animated! there is a video file attached showing its animation!

yell out when you want the .x vancher... that's my new word for you guys.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 13:08
It would be even cooler if the text scrolled

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 15:32
yeah well good ole milky shape doesn't do animated textures, as far as i'm aware

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 15:45
Too bad.

Anyway, nice texture work

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 06:10
Side note on the posters, I actually like the second one better. Perhaps it has something to do with the dynamic of the posing.
--
TAZ

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 15:18
Some interesting comments on Syndicate by Peter and the people leaving feedback.

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=409845
--
TAZ

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 16:37 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2006 16:38
doh, i was so hoping that somehow we would get mentioned by PM. ohwell, some of the goons over at gspot talked about syndicate MMO FTW!!!! i m like mmo, get outta here that so wouldn't work! but thinking about it, I'd say a 4 player online game would work, by which i mean turn based email maybe? like those old chess games, you'd make your move and send it to your opponent. Syndicate was an action-strategy, there was the mission screen where youd blow the crap out of things, then ther ewas the strategy screen where youd choose where to go etc. if you have the city divided into sectors you could play a turnbased game where depending on what you do in your mission you could gain influence on sectors, and you could launch an attack ona sector, increase security in your own so if they get attacked you have more ai agents to repel invaders etc. I think that would be the greatest online game ever. (any chance vancher could totally code something like that ) if we made a decent enough attempt maybe we could get peter to look at it and back it up (or buy it off us?)

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 17:27
Warcraft turned out great as an MMO

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 19:12 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2006 19:14
it's hardly the same game. plus combat is turn based in it, not action based. I'd want an online version of syndicate to be either mission co-op or turn based competitive, really opens it up fo rmore strategy whilst keeping the awesome explosive action!

infact help me out here guys, I'm trying to come up with an opening scene for the fan film, I'm not sure whether I wanna go with >>

OR

the second one seems more in depth but thats cause i made it up just now instead of like 2 months ago with the first one. what's anyone think?

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 19:49
Personally I'm not into MMOs as they take up too much time. But Syndicate could do well as an MMORPG. Perhaps players could join a corporation and then battle for it to take over the world.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 20:19
NO! don't do it, it will turn out boring and repetitive just like warcraft, or most akin to anarchy online!

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2006 01:18
I'm not the one making it so you shouldn't tell me

World of Warcraft is only the most sucessful MMO ever

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2006 02:32
Interesting ideas, but the reality is that two or three people are NEVER going to be able to produce the amount of content and other resources that an MMO requires. [Although an offical Syndicate MMO RPG would be sweet. Given Shadow Run's revival, cyberpunk may make a come back.]

The strategy level game has some interesting potential. I could see 2-16 players (each representing their own Syndicate) sending out strike missions on the world map and playing them as part of a campaign system. We might have to come up with a method where you play the mission only once and the data gets sent back to the campaign manager. Or, you could let the player run the mission as many times as they want and either send they best mission or elect to abort.

As to submitting anything to Peter Molyneaux, that's probably the express ticket to a cease and desist letter. :-( One thought to keep in mind is that if it ever does come to that we'd want to be able to 'de-Syndicate' the project and turn it into a generic cyberpunk setting. So, it would probably be wise to keep all the art resources in separate folders and drive the loading of resources via a config file.
--
TAZ

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2006 03:13 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2006 03:14
zircher:
You probably missed the part where Peter Molyneaux where talking about a new version of Syndicate with some form of online feature. So that's what we where discussing

Wigget:
Quote: "plus combat is turn based in it, not action based"

What exactly did you mean by that? Both Syndicate and Warcraft are realtime.

BTW, I wouldn't mind playing a Syndicate multiplayer game, turnbased or not. So why not add in multiplayer in your remake?

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2006 05:57 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2006 05:58
DA, pull your head out of the smoke and take notice. I posted the link and yes, I read the full Q&A article on GameSpot. I then replied to Wiggest's comments.

A new Syndicate game is something Molyneaux would like to see, but it hasn't gotten wings yet and may not get out of the licensing/business analysis stage.

You're not tracking what's going on with Wiggett's reply. He's brain storming (and is generally pretty good at that.) He's considering the possibility of a multi-player campaign system where players control rival syndicates that battle at the strategic level for the control of a city. The turn based part is where you select your missions. That in turn launchs a real time game session where you try to accomplish some mission goal in order to gain resources or take over part of a the city. The missions might be solo, player vs player, or co-op depending on a number of factors.

To re-cap, we both panned MMO for various reasons, but we both see non-massive multi-player as a possibility. The final design has not been decided on. Ideally, Van B and I should try to leave some hooks in place to link SR with a meta game. The easiest way that I can see to do that is to have the meta game be a mission generator and give it the ability to call SR with some command line options for loading missions on demand and communicating back to the master game utility. The net result might be a multi-player aware control program and a separate mission resolution program.
--
TAZ

Opening scenes? I like the first one. More of a cyperpunk feel to it.

[edit for typos]

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2006 10:28
Synd would be awesome with 3 or 4 players, even just 1 agent each, but we should definately try and get multiplayer modes in there.

I like the idea of turn based, because that way there could be a big map, and you could take over sections from rival 'syndicates'. A risk style map would be a good idea, so you could try and take over the whole thing, and if you take on an occupied map while the other player is there, it becomes head to head. Even offline, like just sending back who owned the zone first to set the ownership could be interesting.

I've never coded multiplayer beyond simple split screen stuff, but I think it would be possible to have deathmatch style gameplay, like each player get's 1 character, who could be in a team or whatever, but you get 1 dude and can only persuade 3 civilians. The mass of data in Synd means that we'd have to limit the game somewhat. If we try to keep the level objectives nice and dynamic, we can make different level objectives for same levels. Like maybe a multiplayer mode would be to find a particular NPC, manhunts, treasure hunts, any excuse to have to kill the other player, there's lots of possibilites. But who cares, this is stuff that we can look into once the game engine is in place - I imagine there will be multiplayer in whatever form we can manage. Single machine turn based games is probably the easiest option, like the 8-bit classic Laser Squad, each character has a movement or attack allowance.

I've been busy lately, but next monday is my deadline, so once this week is out of the way I can finally get back to Syndicate (that's 2 games that've edged in front of Synd, I won't let it happen a 3rd time - If I do then take me to one side and boot me in the gnads).

''Stick that in your text and scroll it!.''
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2006 13:52
yeah I'd like to see a risk style map of a super sized city, wher eplayers could battle over sectors. getting them to run in unison is a bit problematic if you are going for email to email battle unless it's reach a goal point, best time wins sort of thing.

and WoW is not actually real time, it's attack (wait 5 seconds,) attack, that's turn based the same as baldur's gate was. real time is like jedi knight where you click to swing the sword and make funky manuevers, or in syndicates case like quake where you blow up stuff. I just don't think an mmo would turn out well for syndicate unless it focus's on corporations and not individual characters.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2006 17:56
zircher:
I apologize that I didn't notice that you where the one posting the link earlier. I see what you meant with your post now

Van:
Any kind of multiplayer would be fun without making it complicated. A large map and many players would reqire some sort of persistant world with servers etc.

Wiggett:
I meant the Warcraft strategy games as I think you where comparing those to Syndicate as why Syndicate wouldn't make a good MMO.

However, in WoW you controll your character in real time, for example moving around makes you harder to hit. Also attacks can be made whenever you want and each attack has its own individual cooldown. That is: you can put in many attacks in a row by using different ones.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 09:09
it's still not real time, real time is something like planetside, that's an mmofps. wow may be fast paced but it just doesn't work for syndicate, it turn's it into something it wasn't in the first place, and fair enough that it works for warcraft, but w0w is a lot different to the strategy series. I'd jus thate to see syndicate get to an mmo stage because it would then be focused on upgrading your character to some uber cyborg, whereas the original series was on managing a syndicate with several uber cyborgs and not just individual character play. I'm sure we can discuss this more when we have an engine prepped and ready, so perhaps we should just leave it till then and stop bumping this thread with our convo

oh and van as much as I don't want you to give up on your other stuff I will kick you in the gonads if you put it on hold again!

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2006 10:13
so i'll be kicking my own gonads now, I am putting uprising on hold for a while due to my whole financial situation not being where I want it to be to cater for what kind of movie i want to produce. But I'm going to start learning how to make latex masks and prosthetics, with the aim towards bringing the old game "veil of darkness" to the silver screen. It's hella good old horror mystery game for dos. I suggest you all get dos box and check it out. anyway I will keep people up to date with how my latexery is going once i start it. but for now, has anyone else done anything for syndicate?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2006 11:06
Not too much, the editor is slowly getting better, easier object placement etc. Once the terrain tile set layout is set we can add automated texture stuff, to make drawing roads etc a lot easier, but once that's in place the editor is largely finished. As media is created it can be easily added to the level(s), not sure what's the status of buildings and stuff, I've been playing around with Todd's test media but I'm sure he said he was looking into getting more buildings made.

We added a particle system and some weather, just the basics for now but it seems to work quite nicely, gives a good indication of miserable cyberpunk style rain already and will provide a good starting point for particle effects.

''Stick that in your text and scroll it!.''

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 16:34:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 16:34:57