Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
okay, i'm not like other noobs. I understand the skill it takes to make an mmorpg, i know about the database/file advantages and disadvantages. This isnt a request for me to make an great rpg and rule the world. I'm just trying to learn online things and using a client/server database. I have assembled a team of people locally at my school, however they do not include another programmer. While i'm trying to find one (this isnt a team request) i've decided i'd try to learn about the massive multiplayer programming. I have a server. I know how to save files and load files, however i havent been programming in darkbasic for a while so in a way i am new. I have an idea of programming and have learned html and some java, and i am beginning on xml. I have a c++ compiler so if there are any tutorials for an mmorpg in c++ for complete beginners that would be nice. Please don't insult me for my lack of darkbasic knowledge. I know about ai and am checking out the online chat programs. I know the make object syntax but i dont know how to use it.

[img]http://www.savefile.com/files/4182721 [/img]
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 04:07
Knock the "massive" off, and you might not get flamed as much. If you could make something that worked with even 100 people, that would be really cool.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you try to do.

MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
by massive i dont mean 1000 people, i mean maybe 500-700 maximum and thats only when i get it down great. For me it would be an accomplishment to have 10 people on there, even 2 would be great.
Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 04:18
@ MMORPG i have been tryin to get a team together but with no luck. i wish you luck
with your game.

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 04:48
Why don't you try making a simple offline RPG to start with so that you can improve your DB skills. Then if it gets good, start branching out into the multiplayer stuff.

Keemo1000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 09:41
im learning about connections now , but i done see how you can code an offline game, and through the network code, it becomes 2 player (via TCP/IP) can anyone explain that ?

In DBP - 3D is easier than 2D , 2 player is easier than Single player , Dont you think life rocks .. ?
SirFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 09:56
127.0.0.1 is your internal network loopback IP, assuming you have TCP/IP configured on the computer. Use that address for testing client/server or p2p games on one computer.

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 12:49
Hi,

Good luck in your MMORPG efforts, if you'd like to see how another group (an open source, community group) are going to be attempting it, then please check out the Open MMORPG Project.

Pretty much everything there is available for you to look at, download and use. There's been a little progress in the multiplayer department (RiiDii was doing good things there with connecting >255 players (simulated) to a PC) that you might find useful.

Again - good luck, and maybe we can help each other.
David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 15:57
why dont u try something very simple 1st.make a cube u can control & your friend can control another one.& some way of chatting.if u can get this part down with u & your friend online,u can build from there.
MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
okay, well i have the chatting down. One problem though (nothing to do with chatting)- the controls. Do you just have to do normal controls? would you have to use types?
David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 23:34
Quote: "okay, well i have the chatting down. One problem though (nothing to do with chatting)- the controls. Do you just have to do normal controls? would you have to use types?"

ive no idea what your talking about. whats a type?????
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Why would the controls be any different from a normal rpg?? Anything you do on the persons system wont affect the others unless you send them that data.

The admiral
Fox Dark Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2006 00:05 Edited at: 27th Jan 2006 00:07
"i'm not like other noobs" lool that's an original one
First of all, play a MMORPG and have near you some paper and pencil. There's a great one for free called FLYFF (www.gpotato.com)
Then you can search articles like this one: beguiner's guide to MMORPG
http://www.devmaster.net/articles/building-mmorpg/

Yea, you'll have to use types unless you want your game to crash with some "identical" variables (too bad there's not OPP in DB)

here's a sample from my engine:

I advice you to plan a lot, you may end up thinking on something that you can't do and givving up because of that. Keep everything on the paper

Have fun

KiTsUnE wOrKsHoP
SirFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2006 02:00
Quote: "Keep everything on the paper"

Paper? What's that?

MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
I am keeping stuff on paper, i have idea, i have sketches of models. I just dont have the resocurces to program all of it, thats why i'm posting on this forum...

I've learned how to do chatrooms. and when i say 'I'm not like other noobs' i mean it. I've had this idea for a long time. To dbpro yes, i am a noob. But my ideas are entirely rational.
Fox Dark Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2006 02:47
don't think that I'm calling you a noob, i just find the sentence funny ^^. Did you learn to make chatrooms? by network? with interface?
What you mean by recources? models? media?

KiTsUnE wOrKsHoP
MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
both, plus sounds and programmers
Fox Dark Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2006 03:29
that can be easilly found on the net, right now I'm producing my ouw media but pray more atention to the programming part that to the media because you can easilly replace dummy media with a great one but programming doesn't work that way

KiTsUnE wOrKsHoP
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
You dont have enough experience to even remotly attempt an mmorpg from what Ive seen you dont even know about controls.

The admiral
MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
i just havent done anythng multiplayer before. I know about controls i just dont know about online controls, its cleared up now and i get it... I also know how to do simple ai and in c++ pathfinding.
MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
One major problem though is i dont know how to load a model or do a minimap... Any help on that?
Shadowed Lightning
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, load load model:
Load object "mymodel.x",1

or you can:

load mesh "mymodel.x",1
load image "mytexture.x",1

make object 1,1,1

as for minimaps, your on your own, but before posting a question in a thread where you are trying to defend yourself, its not the best idea to ask questions like that where u can find them in the F1 help menu.

unless you are asking how to load it on a network of multiplayer and in that case i apologize and good luck

AMD Athlon 64 3200 - GeForce 6800 GT - 320GB Hard Drive
1024MB RAM
Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2006 06:16
um... MMORPG programs. it looks to me that you arnt ready to make a game.
you say you know all this online stuff and you have expierience but you dont
know how to load a model. i meen dang... that was the third thing i learned when i was learning how to program.

Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2006 13:23
http://daikanu.onekaproductions.com/

Well check my game out....its an online rpg in the works...

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2006 16:25
thats pretty cool Oneka!

Fox Dark Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2006 19:22
The game looks nice in terms of world
tell me, you had put a limit for the number of character's inputed? like if you put more that 25 characters you can't imput more? I had that code some months ago but I've lost it :\

KiTsUnE wOrKsHoP
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2006 00:40
I can set what the text is capped at, I made that code....Iam gonna make it so that you can input more just it slides over....

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
when i said "load a model" i didnt mean the load object command. I have learned how to use it by looking through several posts (thanks alot...) and now i know how to. Also my father knows c++ basic and is very good at that stuff. He works with text and photos though and doesnt know how to use models or sound.
MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
One question though. Which is better for about 300 people, files or databases?
Fox Dark Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2006 13:03
database are bether just because it's more easy go access and nad they're more safe.One of the links that I've post in here talks abou that

KiTsUnE wOrKsHoP
David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2006 15:25
hey mmorpg,if u ever get your mmorpg working good,do u think youll ever make a small example on how to do it??

id like to make a small one someday.
Image All
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2006 20:52 Edited at: 11th Feb 2006 00:48
Quote: "a cube u can control & your friend can control another one.& some way of chatting"

Found it lol

And yes, I would like to see how it works too, probably along with a lot of other people

MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2006 01:47 Edited at: 5th Feb 2006 01:49
david dont get your hopes up, it will take a couple years until its good quality.

[edit] also i dont know sql...
MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
i'm just wondering because i've never tried it but is it possible to save a file as something like music.msc and load it as music.mp3?
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 5th Feb 2006 22:33
You can take "music.mp3" and rename it "music.msc" and still load it. Darkbasic doesn't care what extension you use... as long as it's a real music file.

MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
okay. Also I saw several programs where there were two dbpro files and one called on another, how do you do that?
MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
i still dont get it. can you only use variables and functions in the other files or something?
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2006 13:30
No, theres nothing with just using 1 .dba file. If you, for instance, wanted to throw in an INCLUDE command, which will include another source file with your current code, you could stick all of a certain type of function in an include and call it "Battle Functions" then you could have "Store Functions" that way, your more organised.

Join Our Forums and get game updates faster!
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2006 14:03
Dont get me wrong I understand why you want to make something cool like an MMORPG, but if you don't undersstand how to use the MAKE OBJECT command, you have some learning to get through first. I know you'll probably ignore this post but what it sounds like is that you've just gotten out of Grade 10 Computer Sciences, maybe not out but near the end of the year atleast, and you've learned basic programming with HTML and JavaScript. You found it really easy and thought hey, I can make something better, found darkbasic and you're now here. I'm not trying to flame at all, but just think of it this way;

you'd you rather have a huge MMORPG made that you dont understand anything about,

or

a lot of small, kind of fun mini-games that you know you've programmmed 100 percent by yourself and completely understand the code.

Once you've got a bunch of mini games under your belt, move onto an RPG interface, not a game, but an interface where you have a box moving around in 3rd person when you click somewhere, and possibly an inventory system. Then onto an RPG, then an ORPG, then MMORPG.

Anyhoo just some advice, the tutorials are there for a reason and I highly suggest you take the time to learn them.

MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2006 05:01 Edited at: 9th Feb 2006 01:09
well, you got the html and javascript right, but im [alot younger than that]I know that i'm way ahead of myself and the reason at the top i said "i'm not like other noobs" was because i dont plan to make this huge mmorpg in a week and become rich.
At best, it will be done in 1-2 years if i can find another programmer for my team
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2006 05:06 Edited at: 8th Feb 2006 10:20
Quote: "and the reason at the top i said "i'm not like other noobs" was because i dont plan to make this huge mmorpg in a week and become rich.
At best, it will be done in 1-2 years if i can find another programmer for my team "

Actually thats normally what noobs say that they will make it over 1-2 years if they find a team but its not enough because even with a team and experienced people working full time it actually normally takes 1-2 years

The admiral
MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2006 06:58 Edited at: 9th Feb 2006 01:13
"at best"
[edit]and i dont mean entirely done
MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
is there any way to get the time from your computers internal clock?
Fox Dark Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2006 00:18 Edited at: 10th Feb 2006 00:23
yap...

honestly... you should make some tutorials... that's a basic command of darkbasic :

you may hate for saying this but I'll tell you ...
You'll not make the game
Why? just because you don't even know the basis of DarkBASIC.
This is just a simple advice, if you can produce an RPG, then maybe you can produce an MMORPG but untill you make one it will takes a lot of time and you'll probably give up unlease you make this really good and when I say good is to plan everything on a design document and not just program some things now and somethings of something you relember 5 min ago.

Well good luck, you won't need it cause you need lot's of will to make it but good luck anyways

KiTsUnE wOrKsHoP
MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2006 00:34 Edited at: 10th Feb 2006 01:12
lol, de ja vu. I've heard that too many times and this is more for me learning.
[edit]
is there an equation or something to convert it into 24 hour time?

also, i dont quite get the server. how would you connect to the server when you enter the game? how would you start the game in the first place? would you have to have a server exe running all the time on the server computer?
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "would you have to have a server exe running all the time on the server computer? "

duh

The admiral
Fox Dark Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2006 09:08
yea, you need. and the Database server too.
The game stars by connecting to the server and loads the 1st map on your folder and position all the connected players on the map. After that is just a send/receive packages with the information of the palyers position, actions, etc...

KiTsUnE wOrKsHoP
ThomasFN
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm making a [m]morpg at the mo. Here is the link
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=71522&b=8

and here is the website for it http://www.marauder.co.nr

MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2006 23:21 Edited at: 20th Feb 2006 21:38
is there ne client/server connection source code?
Medieval Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 21:47 Edited at: 21st Feb 2006 21:48
What do ya know im making one to ....... only.... I have only completed the first tree after 6 hours of work

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 17:40:12
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 17:40:12