Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / collision with imported .3ds files

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hi all,i just bought dark basic pro and ive been messing with the auto collision function. so i made a matrix and imported a .3ds bridge into it. i got the collision using the auto collision wokring fine but i could'nt go under the bridge. i thought maybe it is treating the imported .3ds as one big block instead of colliding with what i want it to collide with. so what functions would i need to tell it just to collide with the bridge and not any other space if you understand me?
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 22:55 Edited at: 26th Jan 2006 23:03
have you tried using SHOW OBJECT BOUNDS to see what's really going on?. you might find that your player object is taller than you think and the bottom of the bridge is lower, as far as collision is concerned. if so, mess with:

SET OBJECT COLLISION TO BOXES with MAKE OBJECT COLLISION BOX

SET OBJECT COLLISION TO SPHERES with SET OBJECT RADIUS
etc.

beyond that, it sounds like there's not much (enough) space between the top of the player object and the bottom of the bridge which means you should raise the bridge a little or scale the player object down a little, etc. the SHOW OBJECT BOUNDS should help you get it dialed in. there shouldn't be a need to have it check specifically vs the bridge alone (manually) since it would defeat the purpose of auto-collision.

let us know your results? i'm pretty new to DBP and would appreciate knowing how it worked out for you.

Athlon XP1800+, Windows XP+SP2, Soyo K7V Dragon+ MB, 1.5Gb 333 RAM, ATI Radeon 8700LT (128Mb)
Drivers and Updates Kept Current
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 23:31
Why does everyone think the BOX COLLISION and SPHERE COLLISION commands do polygonal collision, they dont! They do box and sphere collision.

Basically whats happening is when you use automatic collision in DB, you're using box collision. DB makes a collision box to the dimensions of your bridge object, and makes another for your character object. Then it detects when the two boxes collide.

I'm not getting into polygonal collision right now but basically look into the INTERSECT OBJECT command, Nuclear Glory Collision dll, and the huge amount of polygonal collision routines provided on the DB forums that people have made, they're located on different boards so you'll have to do some searching.

On a good note, I'm making my own polygonal collision function thats looking very promising so far, but its not ready for release yet so thats enough about that.

Goodluck,
RUCCUS

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2006 00:15 Edited at: 27th Jan 2006 00:16
ruc,

not sure why you're mentioning polygonal collision or intersect object here. i assumed box since RKS is employing the use of auto-collision. i am also assuming there is a box around the bridge and a box (or sphere) around the player object and that there is a point where the player object can go under the bridge object (where the bottom y coords of the bridge's bounding box is higher than the top y coords of the player object's bounding box). simple as that. hence, my suggestions on rectifying the problem at hand.

granted this is primative collision and that's why it's in the newcomer threads, but it's what he is trying to learn. same goes for myself. (look at our Joined dates). we gotta start somewhere, right?

Athlon XP1800+, Windows XP+SP2, Soyo K7V Dragon+ MB, 1.5Gb 333 RAM, ATI Radeon 8700LT (128Mb)
Drivers and Updates Kept Current
rks
Years of Service
User Offline
thank you for all replys, i understand why it doesnt work now, so dll's huh looks like this is gonna get messy
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2006 01:15
Sorry I thought he was talking about an arched bridge not a flat one, which is why I thought he was having problems going under the bridge as the bounding box would stop him from entering the clear space under the arch.

Image All
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2006 22:32
Sounds like the character needs dwarfing... =.=

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 15:33:50
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 15:33:50