Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / 2d on 3d tactics based RPG

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2006 15:00

Im making a 2d on 3d game...thats just a mock up(for the most part) with rpg maker place holders until i get around to making my own media...

But i wonder what direction i should take this...i was thinking 2 things...a futuristic tactics game...turn based...space combat with on planet military conflict...very strategic...

Or a non-turned based fantasy rpg...probably with class balancing and having benefits for party balancing...to get back into the traditional sense of an rpg...

Both with a multiplayer option obviously...

Any suggestions for a combat system for the fantasy game...i wanted to do a tactics type thing but that would require turn based...unless someone knows a way to do it otherwise...

Who am i...i don't know anymore...its been a long time since ive walked here...
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2006 16:32
Looks ok from what I see. Suggestion: Focus on programming the camera position+angles for every scene the character is in. It will make the game alot cooler.

"Forgiveness is a good thing"
"Forgiveness is between them, and God. I set up the meeting"
-Man on Fire
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2006 12:23
doesnt work in a 2d on 3d game...it does on a 3d on 2d game...

Im going towards 4 camera directions and a kinda platformer style control system...still rpg though...

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
like ragnarok. is it?

Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2006 15:43
no i was avoiding looking anything like RO i hate RO...not the game...well im not a big fan of the game either...the graphics are what i dont like...well the engine of which the graphics are displayed...

And this isnt your standard MMO either...i hate MMOs...

Its an attemp to use a fast paced system of battle, but i really want you to have to have a balanced party...kinda like those old single player story rpgs...like the FF series...where you have a white mage and a thief and a black mage and a warrior...

I guess this will go about by using bosses with multiple weakness' or targets to hit that can only be damaged by certain weapons/spells...

I also want to throw in a good set of puzzles just like those old rpgs...and alot of character specific skill systems...considering the simplicity of the actual graphics engine i have the leeway to do that...

As far as media goes im using RPG Maker XP sprites and my artist is just going to go along and replace them as i make them...

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2006 05:44
hehe you know what would be a funny game, something like what youve done, but say with 50 blue guys and 50 red guys all running around the forest samurai swording each other, and you just control 1 guy in the battle and beat up as many dudes as you can. That's it, no generic rage where your parents died in teh red army raids so as the blue rebels you must fight back. Just 100 sprites beating the crap out of each other because they are programmed to.

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2006 13:02 Edited at: 31st Jan 2006 19:47
any new updates/shots? cuz that picture starting to be boring..

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2006 13:22
Yep any updates? This game looks good but like GogetaX said

Quote: "any new updates/shots? cuz that picture starting to be bored.."

Goto the http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=68828&b=8 to see latest news on my game..
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2006 14:06
Hey Rob how goes it, yeah the game is gonna actually play out something like that with a good story tossed in there...but ill make sure the story doesnt cut into the sprite beating...remember im trying to keep the down time to a minimal

Yeah ive been testing the limits of the engine...
I worked out timer based animation...gonna try to get a good system going where all the sprites dont animate at the same time...my artist is coming over to take a look at what ive got tonight...

First test of animation...there arnt really any character controls because im still testing to see if its going to be too slow...if i cant accomplish the engine in DBP ill have to resort to game programming in PureBASIC...

I did away with the filtering because it was getting to be a problem when there were alot of objects stacked...look for the blue outline on the trees where its attempting to correct the transparency...

For the most part i want to take inpiration from classic RPGs like Crono Trigger, Earthbound, and the early FF series and take the party and story based gameplay and translate it into a multiplayer RPG...but i want it to be a platform style game...think Mario with Little Fighter 2 on a big 3d map...Kinda like that Sonic Battle game for GBA...only not...im not going for a massive MMO though i would probably be the one here who could accomplish it...I guess you would have to know where im coming from...

This is my side project...im taking a break from OS Development to do this. I was researching a new OS Design, TKF15H can confirm this...we spent a good while trying to get access to the RISC86 core on AMD Processors...

But yeah...if you havnt played Little Fighter 2 and have some time... play stage mode and think of that as an rpg...but ill have platforms and such to jump on...think of mario...Ill distribute the multiplayer plugin...its going to be a pretty cool plugin...

I just woke up thats why im blabbering on and on but whatever ill stop typing so you all can look at the game...

Still going strong at 1000 objects on screen...though above that there is a small drop off of fps, but unless someone else thinks ill need more i think 1000 objects is enough especially since that screeny in the first post has 500 trees in it and thats too many for you to keep your bearings when fighting in the game the way i want to...

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
wow nice! but can u fix those black spots that arounding the player?

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2006 19:59
cool is the black player selected?

Fps world of mayhem 10%
Nack
Years of Service
User Offline
wow, this is acutally looks better than i wouldve thought LOL. I tried attempting this once, but looks weird so i gave up. Keep it up! want to see how it turns out =D

nack

I have NOT abandon these ^......^_^V hehe
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2006 21:36
GogetaX i cant fix whats intentional...though im not sure what arounding means...the black spots are there for a reason...so no i cant fix them...they arnt broken...

They arnt selected...

-_-

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2006 21:51
Then I dont realize what they are for... but great work so far man!

"Forgiveness is a good thing"
"Forgiveness is between them, and God. I set up the meeting"
-Man on Fire
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2006 02:32

Character controls are done...

Nack, yeah its coming along nicely...should be playable by tomorow to some degree...its not like i have a job or anything to get in teh way

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
nice work dude! keep the good work and u might make the best 2d on 3d map - game that ever done in dbp!
so far i know that there is one gta based game that builded in the same style

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, looks cool! Can't wait until tomorrow so I can try out the demo

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia-Fear of long words
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 07:15 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2006 09:25
Well i took a short break to spend time with my fiance and work on my programming language...now im back at it...

HUD is created...alot of free space for now...good for later...

Top bar is Hero Name and some basic info will be displayed...like EXP and HP and MP and what not will stay at the top...other info will scroll across one of the bars...

Bottom bar is chat on the left and dialog on the right...when not in use the dialog box might display your characters stats...the portrait for the dialog box is a seperate camera...

and yes i am aware i use alot of random debug info...

EDIT

For some reason in the process of taking this screen shot my cursor has disappeared...

Fixed the aspect ratio of the portrait fixed the frames per second and added a sky sphere at SirFires suggestion...

Restarting...so ill add some info in a second...just wanted to post this image before i lost the link

~Cyrano De Bergerac~
Epic B Compiler - Header Constructor=90%(PE) JIT Debugger=5%
Storm Song Engine - 10% (Inactive)
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 10:12
Ok Info on that image...changed the GUI color to blue...figured out why my second camera looked funny(forgot to set the aspect ratio)...that in turn upped the FPS...added a skysphere...made a texture for it in like 3 minutes...i think it looks nice...that could just be me...

i have a story worked out for it...but its a complex story...so i wont bother to explain here...

Basically its going to be a platformer adventure game with RPG elements...and its going to multiplayer...with a 4-6 person party of balanced classes...alot of puzzles will be involved...and it will have a large world...but not an overbearingly large one...each area will be the size of what you have seen in the previous screens linked by various exits...

Think Final Fantasy 1-X with other people in the towns and the ability to find people to add to your party...not really MMO though just kinda network with lobby/towns to chat in...

~Cyrano De Bergerac~
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 20:35
Wow looks sweet

Shadow Coderer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 20:45
You could go for tales of symphonia/phantasia real time combat. That way, it could be side on and you could make it quite expansive with lots of combos etc. Turnbased combat bores me. However, if you are set on turnbased then try (you could try even, its your game afterall) and style it like the new final fantasy gba game that has some weird almost real time thing that i keep hearing about.
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 22:00
Shadow Coderer i think thats maybe the ATB(active time battle) its been in use since like FF5 or something...but no im going for a combat system like a fighting game...kinda like playing river city ransom or little fighter 2...i want to stray alot from having a point and click system...i want it based on skill...thats where it will vary from a traditional RPG the most in that it wont have a turn based or seperate rpg system...so i think it may be more or less and Adventure RPG...something like that...

Guess i invision something new...

~Cyrano De Bergerac~
Shadow Coderer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2006 17:17
Awsome, thats what i suggested bout the 'tales of' games. I didnt realise you had that planned already, sounds really good.
Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2006 09:10
this looks like it could turn out ok. will u have other skills other than just killing stuff though like mining and fishing and stuff like that? you could make some cool mini games out them.
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2006 14:36
Well i do want to create a more adventure style game...and i do want to have some sort of sport-like game in there like a CTF league or something of the sort, but yea ill implement alot of little mini games...though as far as skills in mining and fishing i really REALLY REALLY dont want a runescape-like system...

I guess as far as features and what not go heres what i have in mind

Persistant Role Play System
CTF style league
Lots of little minigames not sure what kind

But yeah...

~Cyrano De Bergerac~
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 21:50

Not much new that can be seen besides the tiles are random as to get rid of those pattern lines...most of what ive been working on is underneath...basically engine wise...major code audit going on...ive seperated my code into being various files to be loaded(as opposed to hard coded levels)...and ive done some improvements on the FPS that i lost...due to the sky sphere and the transparency and the extra camera...

~Cyrano De Bergerac~
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
looks like a PRO game..
im wondering, can you send me the demo via msn or something?

Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 22:53 Edited at: 28th Feb 2006 22:56
No demo yet...

And just for everyone information this game will have little or no use of the mouse...This may cause mass confusion to Diablo2 fanboys or those thinking im copying ragnarok...but this isnt a point and click rpg Its based on skills of character control not hours played...though levels will account for something its mostly based on being able to get to the places where you learn your class skills...

~Cyrano De Bergerac~
Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
lol i see you are using the textures from RPG Maker XP or 2000.

not bad but if you need any sounds or textures too that are RPG-ish check out www.toolkitzone.com.

SPECS:
AMD Athlon XP 3000+, 512MB RAM, 128MB ATI RADEON 9600SE, 16x DVD ROM & CD-R/W 52x32x52 Combo Drive, 19" Flat Screen CRT, 3 12" Cold Cathode Blue Neons
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
i think the player is also from there.

Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2006 11:54
Yeah i already said i was using RPG Maker sprites...but i have an artist who is going to replace them...actually the new grass isnt from Rpg Maker minus the dirt spot...which im going to replace...Everything will be replaced

~Cyrano De Bergerac~
Daikaze
Years of Service
User Offline
Im very interested in how some of this works.

So the game is 3D but uses 2D graphics. So that means there are no models. Just 2D planes setup with images on them.
If that is how the game is setup then how does the collision detection work?
Do you use a 2D collision detection like the pixel collision or do you use a 3D collision?
Also since the images are 2D planes how do you collide with objects when traveling through the X axis of an object?

Of course if you use a completely different method, I would be interested to know. I just can't fathom how you would collide with the sides of objects.

By the way... Great job on the game. I really like the look of it. For some reason it reminds me of Quest 64.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 12:24:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 12:24:27