Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Hello to all

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi everybody!
I just bough a laptop on a yard sale and it had this DarkBasic on it. I also got the CD and a huge book for programming in DarkBasic. I must say, I have no idea what to do and I\'m not very good with computer either. But i would really love to learn how to do programing stuff. Got any advice where to start from?
I would really appreciate it.
Fox Dark Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2006 00:18 Edited at: 30th Jan 2006 00:20
=| you see probably the book have an introduction chapter.... but ok...
start with conditional structures such as If/else, repeat, while, ...
Then the arrays's structure
Then the file handle structe

After the basic of the programming move to the 2D stuff: images. Move, edit, etc... everything

After that you got the whole 3d world to learn
good luck and see if there is an introduction chapter

KiTsUnE wOrKsHoP
Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2006 15:14 Edited at: 30th Jan 2006 15:15
Let me give you an advice. Have patience. Dont expect to be able to do Half Life 2 after just a day, to be a skilled programmer takes time. I confess I havent got it, but I know that its good to have. Beside that Fox Dark Masters tips sounds good in my ears. Start basic, then evolve twards more challenging stuff. Goodluck with your programming.
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2006 16:57
Read young wildlynx read ! Yeah it does take time but this forum also holds the answers to most questions you have.

A wee tip though: if you are going to ask a question here make sure you have evidence you have tried some things youself first and also use the search buttons in the forum, combined with google they answered every question I had for 2 years.
Also if you need a hand getting going give me an email and I'll see if I can help, I have no problem writing short tutorials for people who are interested. It wont always be possible for me to answer questions that day as I have classes to teach aswell.

Anyhoo, good luck and dig into that book, it's going to look cofusing to start with but you'll get there I have no doubt !
Welcome to the forums by the way !

Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 30th Jan 2006 20:28
Quote: "I just bough a laptop on a yard sale and it had this DarkBasic on it. "

Man you're lucky to find that good deal.

Yeah, read that book and if you have problems with your code post a question here... just make sure to use code snips when you post code.

[ code ]
Your code here.
[ /code ]

Just remove the spaces between the brackets and we see this:

If it's not Darkbasic Pro look in the Darkbasic directory for DarkEdit (use windows explorer)... it's a better editor than the default editor.

Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2006 23:15
Also don't miss the Tons of Tutorials for Newcomers link at the top of this fourm. http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=68702&b=7

That will also help you.

@Baggers - Never figured you for a teacher, though I probably should have with your patience and understanding.

In Memory of My Dad.
I miss you very much.
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2006 00:24
My rpg tutorial is in that topic DBoy780 just showed you. Don't forget to always use 'Edit' at the bottom left of your post and 'Search' at the bottom of this page.

"Forgiveness is a good thing"
"Forgiveness is between them, and God. I set up the meeting"
-Man on Fire
Area 51
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2006 22:53
Hi guys!
Area 51
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2006 22:55